Market Basket Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Julien Lacourse

Pros
  • Good for a first job, decent pay (especially on sundays), flexible hours (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and good supervisors (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to get use to long hours and repetitive work (in 6 reviews)

• Dealing with the public, rude customers, some managers are good, others are NOT (in 5 reviews)

1. Grocery store

Current Employee - Sacker in Londonderry, NH
    Current Employee - Sacker in Londonderry, NH

I have been working at Market Basket part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job with a paycheck with flexible hours and a big company in the New England area and a safe place to work and good for a teenager a great job if you play sports a lot nice people work there

Cons

On your feet for hours it's constant bagging you can't work past 28 hrs the job over hires the mangers play games with the schedule make you stay outside in below zero whether to get karts for hours in a blizzard rain sleet or snow

2. Great Job with Great Perks

Former Employee - Bagger and Later Cashier in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Bagger and Later Cashier in North Andover, MA

I worked at Market Basket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a pay raise of $0.25 roughly every 6 months, plus bonuses if you are an employee for over a year. Flexible hours and if you want more, you can usually call and ask, especially once you are a cashier. The managers recognized my hard work and quickly promoted me to cashier and soon gave me many opportunities usually reserved for more experienced cashiers since they noticed that I tried hard. They even offered to train me as an assistant manager within my first year working there! Time and a half on Sundays was a wonderful perk too.

Managers were very kind. I made a few major mistakes when I first started cashiering alone after my few weeks of training, and they were very nice and helpful.

If something came up and I couldn't make a shift the managers were always accommodating. I fell once at school and had to go to the hospital and had to call out of work that night. The managers gave me the entire weekend off instead of just that Friday night so that I could have time to rest my arm. They didn't get angry or make me feel bad about having to call out. They even called to see how I was doing and checked on me to make sure I was okay once I returned to work.

Overall, if you work hard and show initiative, the managers usually notice and will try to help you out. I had a number of friends who wanted to be full time in a different part of the store, and the managers helped them get another position or helped them find a way to move up in.

Cons

Monotonous work, standing on your feet all shift (you get used to it and they usually work you up to longer shifts). Cashiers get more hours than baggers, which sucks if you are new and want a ton of hours so you can make money. Once they know they can rely on you though, you start getting more hours, even as a bagger.

3. Front end associate

Former Employee - Front End Cashier
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier

I worked at Market Basket part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market basket has flexible hours. You could set a schedule if you wanted. Lots of people work there so time off is not a problem. Mr. DeMoulas is good to his employees. Raises and bonuses every year.

Cons

Depending on the manager, a lot of part-time employees get away with not properly completing their work and letting it fall on others who are more responsible. If you are 17-19 you will close the store almost every time you work.

Advice to Management

When I first started working at Market Basket, the store manager was very involved and knew everyone's name. When he transferred to a different store, ours was not the same. The new manager never came down to introduce himself and let all the other managers do the talking for him!

Friendly

I worked at Market Basket part-time

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

The freezer and sink could use some improvement

6. Cashier

I worked at Market Basket part-time

Pros

Pretty flexible with hours. Enjoyed working most days, dont get many breaks though. Some people are just angry when you check them out, so that part is annoying but you cant control the customers mood.

Cons

Not many downsides. low pay

7. Market Basket

I have been working at Market Basket

Pros

Great opportunity for Corporate Career

Cons

Company politics can be a bit of a distraction.

8. Twenty-First Century, Guys

Current Employee - Sacker in Leominster, MA
    Current Employee - Sacker in Leominster, MA

I have been working at Market Basket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time and a half on Sundays is good, and students have a decent time with scheduling. Even though the process is rather backwards, students have the best shot of getting what they want if they make sure to inform a manager, write it down, and then check the schedule.

Cons

Upper management is incredibly difficult to deal with. Lots of intrusive suits and criticism without facilitating any dialogue. They are also very set in their ways - nitpicky rules regarding earrings, hair color, etc. Positions are segregated by gender - women cashier, men bag. While the policy is likely similar in other places, it's awful when there's no cross-training and the divide is so evident. It would be great if pay were higher. Even though minimum wage here in Mass is 9.00 now, hours are divided rather unevenly. Management plays favorites. No union presence - another aspect of management being set in their ways. Scheduling process is byzantine, with no digital option. General miscommunication, ignorance, and disregard for lower employees abound. 15 minute breaks are short, and if you're working until close, your break is knocked down a level (i.e. 5 hours gets no break, 6 hours gets fifteen minutes). The logic is "we aren't serving customers", but work is still being done. They get away on a technicality, but it's a labor violation in MA.

Advice to Management

Encourage dialogue between lower employees and management. Digitize scheduling, or at least provide schedule online. Listen to entry level employees - we do the jobs you don't want, and we know them better than you, since a lot of promotion isn't from within. Give breaks fairly and in accordance with labor laws. Learn employees' names and pronounce them right - respect us. You need us, but we don't need you. Bring practices into the 21st century - less favorites, modern guidelines and rules, end gender segregation. I'm sure Artie's a great guy, but there needs to be something a little more sure than faith in your employer.

9. extremely flexible

I have been working at Market Basket

Pros

This job's flexibility is a plus especially for teenagers with constantly changing schedules. The work skills required for this job are minimal.

Cons

On your feet for the whole extent of your shift. Lots of insane rules like not being able to wear more than one earring per ear and having to wear a collared shift even though no one can see your shirt under your jacket.

10. Not Like A Fine Wine: Doesn't Get Better with Time

Former Employee - Clerk: Associate Perishable Coordinator in Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Clerk: Associate Perishable Coordinator in Concord, NH

I worked at Market Basket full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great bonuses! They come out twice a year at least. It adds an additional $7,000 to my yearly income.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Management wants you there when they want. They are not flexible with hours. You can hardly get time off for family functions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They know what they need to be successful.

11. DeMoula's Marketbasket: Great Temp Job Opportunity

Former Employee - Bagger in Gloucester, MA
    Former Employee - Bagger in Gloucester, MA

I worked at Market Basket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to know people in the community was probably the largest pro for me. Seeing friends and meeting new people was the best part of the job.

Cons

It was kind of a toxic environment when it came to actually forming meaningful relationships with other employees. Either you knew everyone on your shift, or you didn't. Attempting to introduce one's self to other employees not as a Gloucester native was a serious chore. Most of the relationships between employees were already many years old, so it was hard to find anyone willing to try to get to know someone new.

Advice to Management

Don't be so cursory when tossing baggers or cashiers from one lane to the next. If you can, allow people to assimilate, and try to facilitate meaningful friendship between colleagues.

RSS Feed </> Embed