Market Basket

www.marketbasketfoods.com

Market Basket Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Market Basket – US – “Old Market Basket...”

Market Basket – US – “Old Market Basket...”

Julien Lacourse

Pros
  • Support hiring youth, flexible hours, room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Because of the large amount of people that work there, they allow a pretty flexible schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to get use to long hours and repetitive work (in 6 reviews)

• Dealing with a lot of unruly, rude customers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it

Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) Stratham, NH

ProsLowest Prices anywhere
    always someone to take your hours
    friendly customers if you do your job right
    .25 raise every 6 months

Consovercrowded
    too many young kids
    chaotic
    gets very busy at peak times

Advice to Senior ManagementBring Back Arthur T. Demoulas! :).

Great job for high school students.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Concord, NH

ProsIf you are good at your job then there is tons of room to move to other departments -you almost always start as a cashier- you just need to make your intentions well known. It's entirely what you make of it. You can usually find someone to swap a shift, if need be. Also, steady raises every 6 months are hard to find elsewhere.

ConsA little like high school culture, there is a lot of dating because the majority of the people working there are 16-22 it seems. But I made a lot of good friends that I would hang out with outside of work.

Speaking as a current employee in the front end.

Front End Bagger (Current Employee) Salem, NH

ProsIt's a decent job as a teenager. A nice way to make pocket change, enter the working world and meet some new people of similar age. The job is fairly easy, 25 cent raises every 6 months, schedule is decently flexible although they sometimes cut your hours if you request time off for a different obligation.

ConsRude customers. Very repetitive. Some employees that have been there for a long time are incredibly displeasant. The managers and assistant managers can be kind of abrupt and unwelcoming at my store. Managers don't really engage with the younger employees. Makes it difficult to go to them with questions and concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more welcoming to new employees! Starting a first job as a teenager is nerve wracking, and even though MB is fairly low pressure, it takes time to learn the ropes and questions do come up! Listen more to the teenagers that work for you in the front end because we make up a large portion of the people working in this department. It can be very intimidating to talk to a manager much older than you that has been working with Marker Basket for 10+ years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Taught me everything I know.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat scheduling, teaches you the ins and outs of customer service.

ConsCompensation, late hours, younger workers with no work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.l

Eh

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsGood High School Job for some spare cash

ConsManagement tough to deal with, not great pay

Supervisors get larger bonus by cutting employee hours.

Culinary Or Graphic Design (Former Employee) Marion, MA

ProsWhen we were allowed to converse with fellow employees we all were able to work as a team.

ConsHowever, they don't realize that we could talk and work at the same time. Third world type of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN MORE THAN SHOUT. If you can't here others opinions. Screaming orders just belittles those with no voice.

worked for the tewksbury market basket warehouse

Second Shift Order Picker (Former Employee) Tewksbury, MA

Prosif you like warehouse work an running warehouse machinery like rider pallet jack forklift ect this job is for you

Conspiece picking hour minimum hourly wages almost never goes up.....your job is on the line allmost daily

Advice to Senior Managementyou know what everyone is going threw if you did this job before you got to where you are now......i see pople doing allmost nothing an somehow there makeing there hourly pick rate? hmmm something is a miss

Good starting job

Bagger (Former Employee) Danvers, MA

ProsEasy to get employed. All the jobs are relatively easy and stuff you can learn in one day. Because of the large amount of people that work there, they allow a pretty flexible schedule.

ConsGotta deal with people that don't want to be there. Both customers and employees. It can be dreadful on some days working there, weekends, Thursday, and the day before and on any holiday will be absolute hell.

Great People, Management Lacking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hooksett, NH

ProsGreat People in my department, hours were flexible enough

ConsStore Manager is a bully, lashes out at people. Employees are just numbers on paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore managers need to consider that the employees are also the customers, treat them right and they will do right by you. Loyalty comes from more than just a pay check. People who are treated well are more productive and willing to go the extra mile for the organization.

Worked my way through school as a cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsFlexible hours, good bonuses, building relationships with regular customers, easy

ConsDealing with the public, rude customers, some managers are good, others are NOT.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Market Basket? Contribute to the Community!