Market Basket Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Julien Lacourse

Pros
  • Good for a first job, decent pay (especially on sundays), flexible hours (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and good supervisors (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to get use to long hours and repetitive work (in 6 reviews)

• Dealing with the public, rude customers, some managers are good, others are NOT (in 5 reviews)

1. Great Company!

Current Employee - Assistant Front End Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Front End Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Market Basket (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexiable hours Pay raises Pretty easy job

Cons

Dealing with customers Its a part time job, what can you ask for?

Advice to Management

Most of the management is great

2. Clerk-Dairy

I worked at Market Basket

Pros

Loved my boss Decent pay if you get full time status. Especially if you do not have any college aspirations.

Cons

College or high school job, unless you might get in if you vibe with the right people. i.e your department manager, your store manager, and the manager's department you want to go to.

Advice to Management

What they already do. Stay old school.

3. Really fun people to work with

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Market Basket part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with in Portsmouth were amazing and extremely friendly, they made the job worth while. I was there for 3 and a half years, it helped me learn a lot of good customer service skills indeed.

Cons

Customers will swear at you, occasionally hit you and complain about you to the manager no matter how nice you treat them. It definitely just shows you there's a wide variety of customers out in the world and not all of them have good lives or days and will take it out on you in any industry, anyway they can.

5. Market Basket

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Bagger/Stocker in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Bagger/Stocker in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Market Basket full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always striven for excellent and quick customer service. Friendly staff and management throughout all stores. Gave employees opportunities to improve if position was available and employee asked. Did right by the customer no matter what.

Cons

Always room for improvement in any store. Very short handed in some departments. Supervisors could have been more involved in their stores and not so much at the office. They were out of touch with some things in the store. Not every department was current on correct prices. Benefits weren't very good.

Advice to Management

Be a little more open to suggestions from your employees and fellow management.

6. Market Basket

I worked at Market Basket

Pros

Good money for a high school or college kid. Also employees get bonuses around holidays. Very flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Management doesn't know how to manage. They make you feel like you can never do anything right. Also don't expect to hear a thank you from management.

Advice to Management

Become more I touch with you employees. Place yourself in their shoes. Just because you have teenagers working for you doesn't mean you should treat them with complete disrespect.

7. Grocery store

Current Employee - Sacker in Londonderry, NH
    Current Employee - Sacker in Londonderry, NH

I have been working at Market Basket part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job with a paycheck with flexible hours and a big company in the New England area and a safe place to work and good for a teenager a great job if you play sports a lot nice people work there

Cons

On your feet for hours it's constant bagging you can't work past 28 hrs the job over hires the mangers play games with the schedule make you stay outside in below zero whether to get karts for hours in a blizzard rain sleet or snow

8. Stocker

Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger/Stocker in Moss Bluff, LA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger/Stocker in Moss Bluff, LA

I worked at Market Basket (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good for students

Cons

Low pay, inexperienced people in management

9. Great Job with Great Perks

Former Employee - Bagger and Later Cashier in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Bagger and Later Cashier in North Andover, MA

I worked at Market Basket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a pay raise of $0.25 roughly every 6 months, plus bonuses if you are an employee for over a year. Flexible hours and if you want more, you can usually call and ask, especially once you are a cashier. The managers recognized my hard work and quickly promoted me to cashier and soon gave me many opportunities usually reserved for more experienced cashiers since they noticed that I tried hard. They even offered to train me as an assistant manager within my first year working there! Time and a half on Sundays was a wonderful perk too. Managers were very kind. I made a few major mistakes when I first started cashiering alone after my few weeks of training, and they were very nice and helpful. If something came up and I couldn't make a shift the managers were always accommodating. I fell once at school and had to go to the hospital and had to call out of work that night. The managers gave me the entire weekend off instead of just that Friday night so that I could have time to rest my arm. They didn't get angry or make me feel bad about having to call out. They even called to see how I was doing and checked on me to make sure I was okay once I returned to work. Overall, if you work hard and show initiative, the managers usually notice and will try to help you out. I had a number of friends who wanted to be full time in a different part of the store, and the managers helped them get another position or helped them find a way to move up in.

Cons

Monotonous work, standing on your feet all shift (you get used to it and they usually work you up to longer shifts). Cashiers get more hours than baggers, which sucks if you are new and want a ton of hours so you can make money. Once they know they can rely on you though, you start getting more hours, even as a bagger.

10. Harder than it seems

Current Employee - Dairy Buyer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Dairy Buyer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Market Basket full-time

Pros

Good money, paid vacation. Flexible schedule. The people there are crazy sometimes. But there cool overall. Regular customers are nice.

Cons

Work you like a dog. When you want to go full time. Supervision says ok. Then keep you at part time. So they can get full time work and part time pay. And tell you nothing about actually going full time.

Advice to Management

Say good job once in awhile. Sometimes a thank you or good job is better than just having money thrown at you. And be more family oriented. That is after all what all the employees fought for during the strike.

11. Floral Department Manager

Former Employee - Floral Manager in Nederland, TX
    Former Employee - Floral Manager in Nederland, TX

I worked at Market Basket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, nice atmosphere, good music, wonderful people to work with, little supervision, awesome customers

Cons

LOW PAY, POOR MORALE, TOO MANY RESPONSIBILITIES, MANUAL INVENTORY COUNT EVERY 3 MONTHS, UNREALISTIC SALES GOALS

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees. Work with your new managers to show them how to achieve sales goals. Don't wait until it's too late and fire them!

RSS Feed </> Embed