Market Leader

Good mid-level sales opportunity

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rapid growth, opportunity to succeed, friendly people, fun atmosphere
    great benefits

Cons

telephone sales are challenging, ramp period is difficult

Focus strategies while in growth mode

May 7, 2014Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for letting us know your concerns. Please let me or anyone on the HR team know what we can do to help new sales folks feel more successful during the learning process. We'd love to hear your ... More

Seriously outdated product, bad management

Current Employee - Developer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary is good for developers, work load is reasonable, office space is brand new, free soda for employees.

Cons

Product is very outdated and ridiculously complicated, but no one seems to care about fixing it. The other employees in my group (engineering) seem like they're all satisfied with doing the bare minimum to get by and receive a paycheck. No one seems motivated to improve themselves or the product they're working on. Each time I've made suggestions of how things could be improved, the response is "We know we need to do that, but we just don't have time" or "Yeah, good luck with that".

Take some freaking pride in your product and fix this junk. Don't you realize that your target audience (real estate agents) is a bunch of frantically busy people who A) don't have hardly any free time and B) are not tech-savvy. This product should make their lives easier, not introduce a huge set of systems and options that they have no idea how to use. This product is in serious need of a complete overhaul to simplify a product that has become a frankenstein of power-user features and make it something that the average real estate agent can pick up and begin using without any special training.

May 7, 2014Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Please get with me at your earliest opportunity. I welcome your thoughts on how to remedy what you've outlined. Christy

Great product

Current Employee - Account Executive (Inside Sales)  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive (Inside Sales) in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, free drinks, fun committee

Cons

Not enough opportunity for sales people

May 7, 2014Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your time in reviewing our company. Please get with me or anyone in HR or the sales leadership with your recommendations for growth opportunities. We'd love to hear from you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible company

I worked at Market Leader full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits were good but they recently changed that. The people that work at Market Leader are cool. The office is nice.

Cons

The company was purchased by Trulia and is getting worse by the day. Managers don't actually manage. They sit in meetings all day long and then send you passive aggressive emails on what you need to be doing better. The customer care department is horribly understaffed. They pile on an unreasonable amount of work for you to do and set unrealistic goals. The company is paying the employees less each year.

Treat your employees better and pay them.

Good Old Boys Club should be Market Leader's Name

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office, free drinks, decent benefits

Cons

This job is a dead end job, with no opportunity for growth.

Good old boys club, or frat mentality through out the sales team. If you are buddies, with the sales director or played basketball for him, you are promoted and are given better leads.

There's definitely two different "teams" the haves and the have nots. All of this is based on favoritism, not on skill or hard work. If you are on the have not team, you are expected to make 80-100 cold calls a day, to Realtors, who have already been called dozens of times already. You are looking for a needle in haystack, for sales. All the while, people around you on the have team, take call ins, and take orders for a sale (also called a lay-up). They run around and high five each other for sales, but what did they do to get them, sat there, and picked up the phone, and TOOK AN ORDER, not sell anything!

You are expected to work 9-10 hour days, and only payed 8 hours. Management says, just put 8 hours a day on your time card.

Worst company I've ever worked for!

Get a new sales director, one that is impartial, and that knows a thing or two about sales.

Opportunity to sell a great product.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart product. Amazing office. Awesome benefits.

Cons

Depending on what team you're on opportunities are more scarce. Inside sales and cold calling can be a rough gig when you're not selling.

Have new Account Execs start selling with system only and then graduate to leads. Understanding the system from the inside out makes it much easier to sell the product the right way by having the client believe in the software and company.

Lack of professionalism prevails. Market Leader is not a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun people, lack of professionalism has its benefits. They throw cash spiffs around like crazy. You can make a lot of money if you excel at a short sales cycle and pressuring people into buying things that they have a 1/10 chance of making money with.

Cons

There are quite a few cons from working at Market Leader.
    1.) Management is focused on top line revenue growth in the short term, at the expense of long term growth.
    2.) Training is weak and disjointed. Teams change frequently.
    3.) There is a boys club of guys that get better leads/promotions because they played basketball for the sales director when he coached "back in the day". But- if you DID play basketball for him, you might get a promotion to manager or team lead.
    4.) The product is not the best in the industry. Not even close. You will have cancellations, and you better get a referral before they figure out how ineffective the product is.

The old adage in sales is to make sure that you are giving your customer $1.10 in value for every dollar they are spending with you. At Market Leader we give about $0.60 for every dollar customers spend. Proceed with caution.

Messaging to customers that they need a CRM to run their business is funny when you give your sales people a rebuilt version of a CRM from 1997.

Worse Management in Technology Department

I worked at Market Leader full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is good for taking care of its employees

* Great work/life balance
    * New good office in Bellevue
    * Good benefits

Cons

The worse management in the Tech department. Average people stay in the company for more than 6 years. While this means company treat people really well, yet there are no new thoughts come into play.

The management has no desire to brought in any new technology to improve processes. It is using 80's technology to manage 21st people.

There are many silos around the department. No collaboration, no communication, people only focus on their own parts and try to secure it to protect their own best interests.

Managers are pretty much micro-manage their people ...

For Ian, tech world needs a new fresh management team.

Serious Opportunities for Growth!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than a year

Pros

Our business is growing, our technology is improving, and the opportunities for growth and career advancement are excellent. In the year I've been with Market Leader, a full 30% of our existing workforce have been promoted either within their roles or advanced into new roles (including me!). I've never seen anything like it. Part of the reason for the opportunities is due to our business trajectory. The other part is our merger with Trulia. We now have the opportunity to make a greater impact as individuals, and as a team, working collaboratively with Trulia.

I work with smart people who care about the work and are respectful of others.

Market Leader takes very good care of us. We have lots of meaningful perks and the benefits are stellar (80% match on 401(k) + 100% employer-paid benefits for employees.) Our new office is gorgeous, too.

Cons

We recently moved to downtown Bellevue which is a farther commute for me personally. That said, everyone (who wants one) receives a free ORCA Card; so in the long run I'm saving by not driving.

Welcome to boiler room meets real estate

Former Employee - Sales  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Market Leader full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

always hiring, you can make great money if you sell. If you fit the frat boy style of the sales team you will be fine. Decent benefits, centrally located.

Cons

market leader operates with a Frat house mentality, poor sr management that is disconnected and only listens to mid managers who are poor leaders and poor sales people. The focus is on new sales because the churn as the management calls it, requires constant sales. Leadership only comes out to speak at company events and relies on managers who use intimidation and favoritism to reward loyalty.

Too Many Managers! Appreciate your Account managers. Innovate and develop the things you promise to do. Listen to your employees and dont defend poor managers.

Worked for Market Leader? Contribute to the Community!