Market Motive

Great Culture, Great Leadership

Current Employee - Account Manager in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Market Motive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My favorite thing about working at Market Motive is the culture. The leadership team has a "fail often, fail fast" mentality that allows for trial and error, innovation, and forward movement - instead of getting stuck in ruts because "this is how we've always done it." I started a=in an entry level position, and over the past 2+ years have advanced in the company. I'm impressed with how my role here has morphed as my skills, capabilities, and strengths have developed. Market Motive has a team atmosphere, where people play to their strengths and complement each other's weaknesses. I never feel like I’m coming in and doing the same thing everyday - I always feel like the company and I are both moving forward.

Cons

We're a small company, which means that you're doing a lot (lots of hats!). This is usually fun and exciting, but at times you can feel like there's a lot on your plate. That being said, the management is always willing to talk through what’s on your plate, what’s important, and what can be dropped or postponed.

Keep doing what you're doing! I love the openness of the management. I always feel like I can come to them with questions or concerns. I feel valued, and I really appreciate that.

#digitalmarketingdreamjob

Current Employee - Learning Plan Specialist in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Learning Plan Specialist in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Market Motive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the many technology jobs I have had, I am used to the struggles that many geeks go through around troubled communication and the like.

Working here is to work with some of the most intelligent, emotionally sound, and rational human beings I have ever met.

All challenges are met with vigor. I feel like I am a real part of a movement that is helping the industry as a whole, and in a very big way.

Plus the pay is great, the benefits are fantastic, and I get to learn AS MUCH AS I WANT!

#digitalmarketingdreamjob

Cons

Technology is an asset, and ally, and occasionally an enemy.

Working with such a fast-paced technological environment can sometimes be a distraction, a frustration, or a wall of bricks.

We always seem to find ways to make things work, and in doing so, help others in our industry.

Keep on doing what you are doing! Everyone here smiles, feels loved, and is productive.

Working here is like getting paid to go to the best digital marketing school on the planet.

Current Employee - Marketing in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Market Motive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Free access to all of the training material.
    - The fun team. Feels like working with a group of friends.
    - All ideas are welcome.

Cons

Because of technical complications we're not always able to practice what we preach.

They only hire bright and capable people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Market Motive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll be working with some passionate and driven people, but it's not out of control crazy hours. Definitely need to think on your feet. They put people first (incl relationships with customers) and they really do welcome discussion and creative problem solving

Cons

Smaller company, so things can be kinda chaotic. You'll need a thick skin in some meetings as there's some passionate opinions that get thrown around.

Surrounded by Bright People at this Fast-Moving Small Business

I have been working at Market Motive full-time

Pros

Close knit family feel within the company. Everyone is very bright, intelligent, and hard working. I couldn't imagine a better group of people to work alongside. The product is fantastic and employees have access to all of the courses. Management is willing to work through problems and take suggestions from anyone within the company.

Cons

Maturing out of the startup phase means most employees wear multiple hats. This can be a struggle at times because there are a lot of tasks to complete all coming from a variety of directions. Some work can be tedious and mundane at times.

Continue on the same path. Continue to bring on bright, hard-working professionals. Try to correct major foreseeable problems before they grow too large.

Great product, great culture...smart, dedicated team!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Market Motive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is fully executing against it's growth plans. The marketing department is a no kidding, high performance, butt-kicking, getting it done team. Company has a strong (and growing) foothold in the higher education and agency world with a solid end-user and small group audience. Good product, good space...great company.

Cons

High growth companies always struggle with matching resources to client demands. This company will be growing its staff to meet these demands. It's sometimes a painful transition...

Continue to promote the ideals that have promoted success to date, be ready to adopt new thinking to capitalize on the enterprise growth opportunities.

Great innovative flexible company with a strong ethical standard.

I have been working at Market Motive full-time

Pros

The team is super flexible and accommodating. Personal schedules can be adjusted (within reason) to handle things like getting the kids to practice, running to a teacher parent meeting, getting the car fixed, etc.

Every week there's a lunch meeting where the company buys lunch and the team discusses challenges and opportunities, and brainstorms solutions. They also cheer-lead one another.

The company is focused on providing professional training for people enhancing their careers, and everyone seems to truly care that the clients get a quality experience for their investment. A lot of effort and time is spent on finding ways to ensure clients get the tools they need to succeed, and in celebrating student success stories.

It feels good being involved with such a positive and beneficial product and service, working with people who want customers to succeed.

Cons

Like all start-ups, everyone wears multiple hats, and sometimes that makes it challenging to stay focused on one thing and feel successful. You might wish you were able to really see a project through to a 100% completion rate to the best of your ability, but you'll get pulled in multiple directions and sometimes have to find ways to compromise one project for another. So you may only get 80-90% of the way to what your vision was.

Be less micro focused, and set and communicate big strategic business and success goals that can guide the smaller day to day tactical decisions more quickly and efficiently.

Be flexible, courageous, and have a positive attitude

I have been working at Market Motive full-time

Pros

I really, really like this company and the people here.

The product is seriously the best in the industry and it's scaleable. It is one of the easiest products to sell when timing is right with a qualified lead.

High-caliber team with different and useful skillsets.

Lots of experience and talent from Valley veterans. I have been constantly impressed by the business acumen of the management team and CEO.

It is hard to find a job and company like this in Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley, CA. The location is unbeatable (unless you love the 85 and Silicon Valley or Peninsula).

The Marketing and Engineering Teams are amazing and pour everything they've got into making the company better.

On Fridays at lunch, there is a casual and rowdy all-co. meeting with catered lunch. Fun time to brainstorm and float ideas that you want input on.

Sometimes you'll cross paths with the legendary faculty, who are super cool. Also great to network with.

Free access to the best digital marketing training on the planet.

Lucrative for someone used to outbound sales and limited onboarding/direction.

If you are coming from a more old-school "call high & wide" sales background where you are not used to a steady flow of qualified and warm INBOUND leads from a MAP or super dialed lead gen setup... Then you will have an advantage and use a lot of your existing skills to prospect.

The more experienced you are with taking a cold lead from top-of-funnel to customer... The more successful you will be.

Having established relationships will help too.

If you receive an offer, then know that the hiring managers have a lot of faith that you will be successful.

Change is coming. We just created and filled a new management role and will be hiring over the next few months.

Currently, there is a lot of opportunity in the education/higher-ed sector.

We use google apps for email, docs, and sharing.

Cons

Market Motive is not for everyone. This should not be the place you come to unless you have solid experience in sales/biz dev.

On the growth team, you will need positive energy and true grit to produce a lot of cold or coldish, outbound activity to top-of-funnel leads, old leads, or existing customers.

Prepare to be here long-term. It will take you six-twelve to get going and build pipeline. (Unless you're in licensing or higher-ed sales)

Some IT systems are home-brewed or open source, which can give you a headache if you're used to intuitive tools (sfdc CRM, Chatter, MAP).

Although the company is small, there are still some pockets of the business and strategy that lack transparency.

Sometimes there is too much of a reductionist POV on issues like lead gen, bookings, and revenue.

If you're a millenial... Prepare to have differences of opinion and values with Sr. Management.

You will not be celebrated for bringing in young energy or new ideas.

More people on the team are older, successful, and established. This is a great reason to trust that this company is going somewhere, but from my experience here, it leads to a one-size-fits-all approach.

Focus on being proactive to solve problems and project less of your own personal experience/success when managing. Greater transparency about the future would be great too.

Summer Internship - Great Experience

Former Employee - Online Marketing Intern in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Intern in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Market Motive as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people people to work with. Even as an intern we were treated as part of the team. Our input was valued, time was taken to train explain what needed to be done on specific tasks, and questions were answered and appreciated. Even as an intern we were working on tasks that were vital to the company and got exposed to many areas of business operations and many things were explained to us as far as strategy and hard-won entrepreneurial experience, making this the perfect environment to see if you enjoy working at a startup. As an intern I had great work-life balance, but it seemed like everyone else did too. Everyone was actually happy and content (as opposed to the sleep deprived mania that passes for happiness at other startups)

Cons

Only that the internship had to end!

Keep up the great work!

Great small company, awesome coworkers, take advantage of the resources provided

Current Employee - Production Intern in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Production Intern in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Market Motive as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Complementary access to online marketing course material
    Get to learn and interact directly with senior management
    Able to sit in on certain meetings and learn about how the company runs

Cons

Internships are unpaid
    Certain tasks can be tedious, although usually you will learn something by engaging with the course material

Consider paying and promoting interns after a few months in order to retain talent and avoid having to retrain new interns