Market Probe

CEO

not bad not great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Market Probe (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees are really great. There are opportunities to learn a lot of research and data collection/analysis methods and tools.

Cons

Some of the staff are difficult to work for and upper management does not always recognize who their strong employees are and who their weak employees are. High turnover. Flat organizational structure.

Be more flexible, less rigid. Shake up the organizational structure so there is more room for growth. Promote the right people - not the people who are deficient and blame others for their own mistakes.

Company in Disarray

I worked at Market Probe

Pros

Lots of capable employees, pay was good at one time. Opportunities to learn new methods and techniques and work on global projects.

Cons

Owner cut back on pay, benefits and bonuses to artificially increase ROI for a potential sale. Positions have remained unfulfilled.

Good start-out, that's about it

Former Employee - Marketing Research Assistant in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Research Assistant in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Market Probe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great introduction to learning how to run individually assigned research projects with direct supervision. Excellent hands-on problem solving and you get really good at PPT.

Cons

Management in shambles. Zero company direction. 30-40% turnover, annually. Excessive gap from entry-level/associate position to any sort of management position. Practically minimum wage for a college graduate is grossly underpaying their employees.

I still celebrate leaving this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Market Probe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No redeeming qualities. Still bitter.

Cons

Abusive management, poor leadership, low morale.

They never know how many hrs you will be getting, PRN is what they want you to do, crazy

Former Employee - Interviewer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Market Probe part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn how to watch your back, in case you go in a career of being a watcher

Cons

Bad hrs, bad pay Sundays constantly, right hand never knows what the left hand is doing

You need to be more honest about everything,they never give direct answers,common sense is important, employees think the place is mysterious about everything, why?

marketprobe-a company built on people and culture

Current Employee - Senior Researcher
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher

I have been working at Market Probe

Pros

i think the work culture at market probe is awesome. the best i have seen so far.it is better than any other esearch agency. i think people can have a good work life balance at market probe. career oportunities that are given are also very strong

Cons

well nothing that i know of. it is a growing company and is doinf excellent for itself and the people are great what more could you ask for.if there has to be one thing to improve upon then i would say it has to be compensation and benefits

the senior manager is extremely sensible and is doing all that is good for the company. the communicate and cooperate well with the juniors and pass on great knowledge.there is also a good amount of fairness and respect that is given to people at the junior leveli dont have any specific advices to give them

Relax

I have been working at Market Probe part-time (more than a year)

Pros

relax, good pay, fun in general.

Cons

no career progression, project based.

Good company to work with

I have been working at Market Probe full-time

Pros

Good package, friendly employees and nice environment

Cons

Nothing comes to my mind

Horrible management

Former Employee - Supervisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Market Probe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- As you're not contracted to do a specific amount of hours you can choose when you want to work, and how much, which obviously allows for a lot of flexibility in life.
    - Interviewing is simple enough, and the technology worked pretty well.
    - You get some very basic managerial skills if you manage to progress.
    - Pay is decent for an interviewer

Cons

- The managers are the worst I have ever come across in my life. Rudeness, being yelled at, receiving no help and being spoken down to were all daily occurrences.
    - Pay is despicable for a supervisor when you take into consideration the amount of work and the pressure.
    - On one occasion I had to ask the call centre manager for £50 I was owed 6 times. Someone else had to help me in the end because she refused to do it.
    - The new employee's language tests were never actually checked by native speakers, which meant you had workers that couldn't actually deliver high quality interviews. You have so many people leaving, and new employees coming through, on a regular basis that it's just not a priority at all.
    - The targets were often ridiculously high and impossible to meet. Any logical person would understand that a complicated project needs to be explained in detail to a new supervisor running it, but this just didn't bother the then call centre manager. You were expected to somehow 'make it work', and were then subsequently blamed for poor performance. In this particular instance, when higher level management asked me if I had been properly trained, I was advised not to 'rat out' my manager, as this would only be to my own detriment.
    - You could easily manage 4 teams of 60+ people at any given time. The place was severely understaffed.
    - Operates a 'point system' which means you are given points for not showing up, being late, bad behaviour etc. We were expected to give points to workers even though they were ill. Some workers who performed well got special treatment and, even though they racked up 10 points on several occasions, were never taken off the system. This resulted in an environment where some of these people acted like spoiled brats, treating supervisors terribly, and getting away with it because they performed well. Nothing was done to ensure employees treated supervisors with respect, quite the opposite.
    - Poor attitude was a common occurrence from supervisors who had been there longer to new ones. You were often spoken down to, belittled in front of interviewers and had your authority overturned by others. Terrible for morale all around, but nothing managers seemed too concerned about.
    - Instead of working with positive reinforcements, threats were a daily occurrence. If you didn't meet your targets on a specific day (whether your fault or not), you were often threatened with having the remainder of your shifts cancelled. I was once called into a meeting with the call centre manager where she explained the need for me to 'prove myself' and that I'd otherwise be fired, despite her not actually briefing me on a project before throwing me right into it (and refusing to take phone calls that evening to help sort the situation out).

This place was so badly run, I often wondered a) how it could survive in the first place, and b) whether or not it was a joke.

You need to sort yourselves out on so many levels.

- Instead of promising clients things you cannot deliver, make targets realistic and actually reachable.
    - Raise pay for supervisors, it's ridiculous.
    - Do something to increase the morale in your offices. Don't give special treatment to interviewers. It makes them act like spoiled little brats and undermines any authority your supervisors have.
    - TRAIN YOUR SUPERVISORS PROPERLY, and make sure other supervisors or the call centre manager actually bothers going through a new project with them so they know what they're supposed to do and how to run that specific project - they're not all the same!
    - Treat your employees with dignity and respect instead of yelling at them, constantly threatening them with penalties and belittling them.

Intern

I worked at Market Probe

Pros

good people
    lots of work
    hard working

Cons

low wage
    informal projects