Market Strategies International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Market Strategies International CEO Rob Stone

Rob Stone

A culture of smart, ethically-centered people

I have been working at Market Strategies International

ProsThere are a lot of really smart, committed, forward-thinking people in this organization--and, given the relatively entrepreneurial culture, it is possible to change the company by getting out in front of an initiative and pushing hard. The quality of the work being done here is truly a cut--and often several cuts--above what's going on in other parts of the industry. Finally (and this may sound weird, in these times), this is a company that really has an ethical center. There is a kind of old-world probity to the way that the company is managed and the way people treat their work.

ConsThe company is certainly in more of a growth mode than it has been historically--and growth inevitably means change. So far, those changes have been good changes, but that's something that requires constant care and feeding. The concern is that senior management continue to stay focused on the right kinds of strategic growth for the company--and communicate the growth plan (if and as it changes) to everyone throughout the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work hard at listening to employees throughout the organization--not just listening to senior managers. Continue the ongoing focus on quality and ethical standards. Keep focused on long-term strategic vision, not quarterly financials (which, so far, has not been an issue...but is always a bit of a worry when you're majority-owned by a private equity company).

Standard marketing research firm, but stable and growing opportunity in otherwise economically depressed area

Senior Marketing Scientist (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Market Strategies International

ProsMSI is a stable and growing company, which seems to be unusual in Detroit. They have a strong and growing position in tracking research.

ConsAs with many marketing research companies their employees tend to lack business acumen. Lower level employees seem to feel there are few growth opportunities, with many employees stagnating in place for extended periods. For employees, lacks the breadth of experience found at other companies for which I have worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementWord on the street is that lower level employees are frustrated with an inability to grow professionally. I've heard this from several people.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Market Strategies International

ProsHeaded up by some very smart people.

ConsGot acquired by a larger market research firm

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the Doxus about you!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not sure if this is the "right" MSI

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Market Strategies International

ProsNice office downtown, I hear....I was never invited to visit it though. They have some pretty good business relationships there.

ConsCompany wasn't clear about direction they wanted to go. They were adding people and selling offices in what seemed to be a willy-nilly fashion.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to update the technology. Need to have a more defined plan. Need to have a more defined career path

Good place to work

Study Director (Former Employee)
Livonia, MI

I worked at Market Strategies International

ProsA good solid company to work for. Some departments are better than others to work in depending on the people. This company has been acquiring other companies so the number of employees has increased significantly.

ConsJob security is a problem with the growing pains they are experiencing with the move to a new corportate office, acquisitions and hiring practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind the need for support staff to facilitate the work that is done for clients. It is difficult to deliver excellent results sometimes.

Great learning

Director (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Market Strategies International

Prosautonomy enabling me andf others explore and grow in the direction we choose. management foster this behaviour and thus encourages employees grotwh

Consnot large enough to make a different, in order to be able to make a name for ourselves we need to be larger

Advice to Senior Managementsales have to be increased, service and solutions have to be defined and marketing to a strategic prospect list of companies

Would be an okay experience if more hours were offered and better pay.

Phone Interviewer (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Market Strategies International

ProsPart time hours. Reading verbatim off of screen. being able to assist companies by completing surveys to improve customer satisfaction

ConsLow pay, no benefits, part time offered only very strict environment

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

good job, tough to advance

Sales (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Market Strategies International

Prosaccomadate you very well with time off
make your own schedule and own times
a lot of good people working there

Conshard to get promoted, sometimes the communication within the company isn't very good, took away bonuses to cut back on pay

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

Strong management in tough times

Research Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Market Strategies International

ProsDuring the difficult year of 2009, upper management did everything they could to retain talented employees, including giving themselves pay cuts and instituting furlough days rather than pay cuts in the lower ranks.

ConsPretty hierarchical, low entry level salaries, difficult to advance. Needs more family-oriented female leadership.

Potential to be a great company

ProsFlexible
People that work there are highly intelligent
Amazing HR
Work Hard/Play Hard environment
Great at giving back to the community
Transparent
You can talk to any senior level person at the company, even the CEO if you have an idea

ConsLow salary
Promotions are out of reach and unclear
Hard to make changes internally
Silo'd positions (little opportunity to branch out)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't let great talent slip away because you pay them too little and/or don't want to offer then career opportunities that allow them to make working at Market Strategies a lifelong decision.

Worked for Market Strategies International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Market Strategies International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Market Strategies International CEO Rob Stone. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Market Strategies International employees.