Market of Choice Reviews

Updated April 4, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
2.8
CEO

1. Great family owned company with lots of growth opportunity.

I have been working at Market of Choice

Pros

I've worked for Market of Choice for several years and have really enjoyed it. The food in the Kitchen and Bakery is excellent, and the crew has a lot of fun working together. There are new stores being built over the next few years which provides lots of advancement potential. The Foodie Field Trips for food service employees are really fun as well. These are trips to farms and restaurants to taste and learn about local products. The pay and benefits overall are good too.

Cons

Few cons that I can think of. Seriously. Many people I know throughout the company have been working here for several years because it's a good place to work.

Advice to Management

More structure and communication between departments would be helpful. Each store kind of does its own thing, some good, some not.

If you want to be pushed around like cattle and treated like a child...

Current Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great pay if you get hired with previous experience
    - Great hours (40hrs a week if you have the availability to do so)
    - Great coworkers

Cons

- Management play favorites and don't have any respect for new employees. New employees get the worst shifts and are forced to work holidays simply because they are new, even if they came on with years of prior experience.
    - Management does not care about your life outside of work. If you miss a day of work because you were sick, you get guilt tripped. If you don't come in on one of your days off to cover a shift for them, they guilt trip you, and sometimes even YELL at you for not putting the company first.
    - They claim you have "many opportunities to advance in the company", however If you express interest in working other areas, you will be completely ignored.
    - Management has a "customer is always right, even when they are completely and utterly wrong" attitude and WILL NOT support or back up their employees if a customer wrongly complains about them. I have NEVER worked at a business that treated their employees this unfairly in such situations.
    - You only get 10 minute breaks. Again, I have NEVER worked at a business that didn't give me a 15 minute break!! Really ridiculous!

Advice to Management

Treat ALL your employees like they matter, not just your favorites. If an employee comes on with many years of experience, treat them as such -- don't pretend they are some little 16-year-old that's new to the workforce just because they are new to your company. Understand that your employees have lives OUTSIDE of work and

If you want to be treated like a child...

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk

I worked at Market of Choice

Pros

Great coworkers, Eugene's public trans system made commuting easy, very supportive of LGBT employees, decent full-time benefits

Cons

Crazy micromanaging, "Customer is never,ever, at fault ever" mentality that did not support workers at all, no sick time (even though you are handling food!), opportunities for advancement slim, no communication between managers and employees

Advice to Management

consider employee input, support your employees, management and departments need to COMMUNICATE

Be a robot - no feedback required

Current Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The store has a nicer facade than the typical grocery store's, and is filled with nice people.

Cons

Management does not want to hear from employees, ever. I was supposed to do my thing, ignore all difficulties or inconsistencies with quality or procedure, and never say a word. Basically, to be a machine that has to eat. 10 minute breaks - I've NEVER worked anywhere else that resented a 15 minute break.

Then I discovered I was being paid less than people hired after I was for the same work.
    Plenty of hours, so many in fact that I had no life and was always tired.
    Late and inconsistent performance reviews.

Management can't be "spoken to," only individuals. So when I had a problem with a misunderstanding, what happened was never relevant; only how it looked to management mattered.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, they are the ones who see reality. Start with an anonymous feedback box.

bad

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice part-time (more than a year)

Pros

co workers were cool for the most part

Cons

No tip/raises/or advancements. crap management

Advice to Management

start paying more, reward your employees

Great job for straight white men who never moved past the frat house

Former Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move around to different departments, really good people to work with, I have one manager who I absolutely loved and really showed me the value of good leadership. Pretty decent wages. My absolute favorite job while there was in the Whole Health department.

Cons

Management runs the place like a disappointed parent. You're never good enough, no matter how great of an employee you are. Upper management was definitely a good ol' boys club, and if you are a woman or a person of color you will only go so far so they can have their token "diversity" to make themselves look better. They pay all of the male department managers more than the female department managers, and I found out when I was training an inexperienced, outside person (who happened to be a man) for my same position in a different store that their starting wage was going to be significantly more than mine. They would never take their employee's side, even when the employee was abiding by store policy. Extreme favoritism shown to people on the "in" with the managers.
    The store also had a quality of a high school to it, people talking behind each others backs, backstabbing, and outright lying. If there was a party the night before everyone you work with is going to know exactly what happened, and maybe even what people would like to imagine happened.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect - they're not 2 year olds. Actually walk the walk when it comes to diversity.

I wish I could've found a job elsewhere during my college career.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The upscale atmosphere of the grocery store, great selection of food, perfect location in the city of Eugene.

Cons

Poor management, company culture isn't inspiring.

Advice to Management

Learn to motivate employees in a positive manner, don't be so pessimistic about everything, and listen to your employees once in a while.

9. Extremely positive company that continues to support the community.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The health benefits offered are some of the best I have seen. There is ample growth opportunity in the company at all levels. The pay rates are high by industry standards.

Cons

Difficult to take time off during the holiday season; however, all retail environments are similar to this.

Great Place to Work PT

Former Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really nice upscale environment and clientele it is a grocery store so you get all walks of life.
    Great friendly coworkers

Cons

Upper Management is not really prevalent on the sales floor. Middle Management needs better training

11. good

Current Employee - Assistant Kitchen Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Kitchen Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay scale, benefits, team work, management

Cons

Inconsistencies from store to store, some stores are better than others