Market of Choice

Market of Choice Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Extremely positive company that continues to support the community.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsThe health benefits offered are some of the best I have seen. There is ample growth opportunity in the company at all levels. The pay rates are high by industry standards.

ConsDifficult to take time off during the holiday season; however, all retail environments are similar to this.

I wish I could've found a job elsewhere during my college career.

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsThe upscale atmosphere of the grocery store, great selection of food, perfect location in the city of Eugene.

ConsPoor management, company culture isn't inspiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to motivate employees in a positive manner, don't be so pessimistic about everything, and listen to your employees once in a while.

Great Place to Work PT

Cashier (Former Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsReally nice upscale environment and clientele it is a grocery store so you get all walks of life.
    Great friendly coworkers

ConsUpper Management is not really prevalent on the sales floor. Middle Management needs better training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good

Assistant Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsPay scale, benefits, team work, management

ConsInconsistencies from store to store, some stores are better than others

Static

Cook (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsFull-time, benefits, predictable schedule. You get Christmas off?

ConsLittle room for advancement, late on evaluations/raises, hiring from the outside is typical for higher positions. HR is lousy. Harassment is more or less ignored, and reporting harassment can result in poor treatment by supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare.

A place where hard work, competence & merit will provide countless opportunities!

Manager (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsI'm a hard worker and enjoy working somewhere that promotions are based on merit and not time in service! You can move up very quickly if you do an outstanding job and just show up to work on time and ready to go. Market of Choice has major expansion plans that provide for tremendous growth and management opportunities.

ConsAs a new employee you're on the closing shift typically and work your way up to better shifts. Also, don't plan on having weekends off until you gain some seniority. It is retail after all.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! Very enjoyable place to work!

Don't talk and Don't mess up

Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsNot really any pros. You get a job and you keep it but you're always on a strict eye. You get beneefits after 3 months... not that great though. Multiple shifts to be abel to earn

ConsLow pay, Mediocre benefits, idiotic management. If you mess up here then you're out on the street. They don't exactly cherish the employee. They just cherish the money they get and the favorites get the big raises even if they do nothing and don't deserve it. If you've worked there long enough to get unemployment or benefits they will do everything in their power to keep you from getting anything. Also, it's like high school all over again. When you work with unintelligent people they tend to try everything to get someone in trouble here so they can move up even though you won't.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating employees like they're valued. Eventually you'll get everyone against you for beaking state human resource laws and also get in trouble for undercutting state guidlines with everything that goes on there.

Finger prints to clock in for work and way overpriced groceries.

Customer Service All Departments! (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsMaybe a twin will show up for you and clock in before your 3 minute window. Take a clue from the working mans sector, there is a 15 minute grace period before your finger print needs to be scanned,and by finger print I mean show up for work.

ConsIf you are 3 minutes late you wil receive a warning, if you are 3 minutes late again you will receive a written warning, if you are 3 minutes late again you have exceeded there warning limit and will be let go for non compliance. This is not a joke there is a three minute window.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow a current buisness plan this three minute rule is a joke. Who does that? You guys need to treat your employees better and respect them, they interact with your customers go ahead and fire them off with nonsence like a three minute rule ..see how they act twords your clients when they are 4 min late to work because of a flat tire or there child was sick..figure it out ..your current methods suck for employee moral..

Market of Choice Job Review in Eugene, OR

Clerk (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsHealth Insurance, 401k, Social opportunities

ConsToo many managers.... They all micro manage too much ...

Advice to Senior ManagementTry trusting your employees to do their jopbs... they might surprise you

Could Be Worse

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsFull-time: Insurance, 401k plans (automatically deducted from your paycheks). Hard to find jobs that typically give you 40 hrs/wk consistently (and sometimes throw in extra hrs during holidays if shorthanded). Holiday pay/overtime, paid vacation after 1 yr (more after 3rd and 7th yrs).

Employees - Most co-workers are pretty easy to get along with and end up turning into true friends in no time. They genuinely care for the most part and are very helpful with personal situations or work issues.

Customers - Customers are usually friendly, and many are regulars who we see almost every day. Most are understanding when there's an issue, and company policy is explained to them as to our reason for why we responded to their issue they way we did.

ConsScheduling - Senior employees get to pretty much decide their shifts and the lowers get the scraps. Almost impossible to get any time off for anything short of medical issues or family emergencies. Requesting more/less hrs seems to be futile. Also, a typical day has most of the employees and managers in the store during our slowest hrs early in the day but when the dinner rush hits most of the help is gone and usually only 1 store manager is left for the rest of the night, often times with the most inexperienced employees who end up getting overwhelmed easily.

Management - Upper management is definitely about playing favorites, so if you're not a standout or one of the buddy-buddies it makes things that much more difficult. Also seem to be out of touch with most of the daily workers and only really talk to department managers.

Occurrences - The "occurrence" system is designed to keep track of employee tardies/absences in a way that discourages them from having either of those happen. However, occurrences are given for basically any absence, short of a medical issue covered under FMLA. HR/management are extremely unforgiving when an outside issue causes an absence. Employees aren't usually notified of occurrences unless they happen to have a lot for a particular absence - such as getting 2 for calling in late less than 2 hrs ahead of your shift (out of a possible 7 before mandatory termination) and explaining the reason just gets noted but does nothing in terms of lowering/removing occurrence totals.

Being new: Being stuck on the bottom in terms of seniority for a position is pretty awful, and lasts until someone else is brought in - which could be a week or a month or a year depending on the position. Closing shifts mean you end up with the same closing manager 5 nights a week and can be terrible if you aren't one of their favorites right away. Much harder to ask for time off or to switch days off or even just get 2 days off in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your lower employees more - a lot of the newer people get overwhelmed very easy and the strain put on them to perform better really doesn't help. Also, understanding that people have lives outside of the store would help, too. We employees have stuff going on, and its not always our fault if we are late or miss a day. Punishing us for things we can't control just isn't fair. Treating us like people and not just pieces that keep the store going would also be nice. This company could do so much better if upper management gave employees a chance to show what they could do and helped them grow while they worked at the store, instead of hindering that development.

Worked for Market of Choice? Contribute to the Community!