Market of Choice

Market of Choice Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014

CEO

Great family owned company with lots of growth opportunity.

I have been working at Market of Choice

Pros

I've worked for Market of Choice for several years and have really enjoyed it. The food in the Kitchen and Bakery is excellent, and the crew has a lot of fun working together. There are new stores being built over the next few years which provides lots of advancement potential. The Foodie Field Trips for food service employees are really fun as well. These are trips to farms and restaurants to taste and learn about local products. The pay and benefits overall are good too.

Cons

Few cons that I can think of. Seriously. Many people I know throughout the company have been working here for several years because it's a good place to work.

More structure and communication between departments would be helpful. Each store kind of does its own thing, some good, some not.

bad

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice part-time (more than an year)

Pros

co workers were cool for the most part

Cons

No tip/raises/or advancements. crap management

start paying more, reward your employees

Be a robot - no feedback required

Current Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store has a nicer facade than the typical grocery store's, and is filled with nice people.

Cons

Management does not want to hear from employees, ever. I was supposed to do my thing, ignore all difficulties or inconsistencies with quality or procedure, and never say a word. Basically, to be a machine that has to eat. 10 minute breaks - I've NEVER worked anywhere else that resented a 15 minute break.

Then I discovered I was being paid less than people hired after I was for the same work.
    Plenty of hours, so many in fact that I had no life and was always tired.
    Late and inconsistent performance reviews.

Management can't be "spoken to," only individuals. So when I had a problem with a misunderstanding, what happened was never relevant; only how it looked to management mattered.

Listen to employees, they are the ones who see reality. Start with an anonymous feedback box.

Great job for straight white men who never moved past the frat house

Former Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move around to different departments, really good people to work with, I have one manager who I absolutely loved and really showed me the value of good leadership. Pretty decent wages. My absolute favorite job while there was in the Whole Health department.

Cons

Management runs the place like a disappointed parent. You're never good enough, no matter how great of an employee you are. Upper management was definitely a good ol' boys club, and if you are a woman or a person of color you will only go so far so they can have their token "diversity" to make themselves look better. They pay all of the male department managers more than the female department managers, and I found out when I was training an inexperienced, outside person (who happened to be a man) for my same position in a different store that their starting wage was going to be significantly more than mine. They would never take their employee's side, even when the employee was abiding by store policy. Extreme favoritism shown to people on the "in" with the managers.
    The store also had a quality of a high school to it, people talking behind each others backs, backstabbing, and outright lying. If there was a party the night before everyone you work with is going to know exactly what happened, and maybe even what people would like to imagine happened.

Treat your employees with respect - they're not 2 year olds. Actually walk the walk when it comes to diversity.

I wish I could've found a job elsewhere during my college career.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The upscale atmosphere of the grocery store, great selection of food, perfect location in the city of Eugene.

Cons

Poor management, company culture isn't inspiring.

Learn to motivate employees in a positive manner, don't be so pessimistic about everything, and listen to your employees once in a while.

Extremely positive company that continues to support the community.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The health benefits offered are some of the best I have seen. There is ample growth opportunity in the company at all levels. The pay rates are high by industry standards.

Cons

Difficult to take time off during the holiday season; however, all retail environments are similar to this.

Great Place to Work PT

Former Employee - Cashier in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really nice upscale environment and clientele it is a grocery store so you get all walks of life.
    Great friendly coworkers

Cons

Upper Management is not really prevalent on the sales floor. Middle Management needs better training

good

Current Employee - Assistant Kitchen Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Kitchen Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay scale, benefits, team work, management

Cons

Inconsistencies from store to store, some stores are better than others

Static

Current Employee - Cook in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Cook in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full-time, benefits, predictable schedule. You get Christmas off?

Cons

Little room for advancement, late on evaluations/raises, hiring from the outside is typical for higher positions. HR is lousy. Harassment is more or less ignored, and reporting harassment can result in poor treatment by supervisors.

Care.

A place where hard work, competence & merit will provide countless opportunities!

Current Employee - Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a hard worker and enjoy working somewhere that promotions are based on merit and not time in service! You can move up very quickly if you do an outstanding job and just show up to work on time and ready to go. Market of Choice has major expansion plans that provide for tremendous growth and management opportunities.

Cons

As a new employee you're on the closing shift typically and work your way up to better shifts. Also, don't plan on having weekends off until you gain some seniority. It is retail after all.

Keep doing what you're doing! Very enjoyable place to work!