MarketAxess

Be The First To
Add Photos

MarketAxess Chairman and CEO Rick McVey

Rick McVey

Lots of freedom to use newly acquired skills to solve problems

Production Support Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpen management and infrastructure teams, cutting-edge technology, and a positive environment.

ConsNot enough analytics/math was seen on my side (although this is probably not true across the firm). Also less European presence than would have been preferred. I enjoy the prospect of working in Europe.

Advice to Senior ManagementI honestly liked the management to the extent that I couldn't "recommend" that they do something different or better.

Good experience, limited growth

Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood Work-Life balance, good pay

ConsLimited career growth, limited base salary

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFull of intelligent people who are great at what they do. The culture fosters learning and growing, while still keeping the organization relatively flat.

ConsDifferent departments are somewhat isolated from each other. The company could use more events to get people from different departments to meet each other and un

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company could use more events to get people from different departments to meet each other and understand how they all contribute to the overall mission.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Place to Start

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood Salary
    Ownership of tasks aka freedom to work without much supervision

ConsLittle career progression, feel like I need to move companies to progress
    Business/Sales force favored over IT too much for a 'tech company'

Advice to Senior ManagementGive stock awards to younger/new hires as incentive to stay with/work hard for the company. Market research may help innovation as opposed to reacting to market needs after the fact.

Good Place to Work

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Competent Staff
    -Market Visibility
    -Good Technology

Cons-Tough Economy for Fixed Income
    -CDS Platform flop

Advice to Senior ManagementHope the economy gets better for you / Volumes

Company Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work life balance, save for IT
    Competitive compensation

ConsChange averse, fear of bold initiatives..."what if the clients don't approve?"
    Myopic viewpoints, thinking in the short term
    Culture of distrust
    Very little knowledge sharing, and feedback is scant
    Willing to entertain new ideas and talk about innovation, but action is rarely taken to support it.
    Focus is on minutia, and not critical matters

Advice to Senior ManagementMake communication more bilateral, especially on the strategic level. The C-level open door policy seems to be more of an espoused value rather than one that is enacted.

Bad management in the London office

Senior Developer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFree milk and coffee
    work/life balance is quite good

Cons- clients left MAEurope due to the poor services. i.e. platform crashes quite often
    - liquidity providers use Bloomberg or Tradeweb because they are cheaper.
    - Project Manager in London has tied hands. Technology is managed by MA-US
    - They continuously hire no qualified people. (no knowledge of Credit Markets, CDS, SEF, MTS)
    - Head of MAEurope changes once every two years.
    - Lots of gossiping and bad environment i.e. very frustrated employees, no team work, etc.
    - According to clients, platform will disappear in the long run because the new platforms in the market use new technology and are cheaper.
    - Don't expect good bonuses in London, on the contrary.
    - Poor career progression.

I enjoyed working at MA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBest peers to work with.
    Small company means better paid and good perks
    Good opportunity for a career growth for freshers

Conssenior management does not give an opportunity for their team to grow sometimes

poor career progression

Senior Developer (Former Employee)

Pros- Met good colleagues to work with
    - easy hours

Cons- Current climate does not help: clients do not use the system, instead they use the phone/Bloomberg chat to get best price.
    - poor liquidity offered
    - limited product offered
    - Competitors are ahead MarketAxess (i.e. Bloomberg)
    - Technology/system needs to be improved/updated to market standards.

Advice to Senior Management-Senior Management should listen more to clients and product managers.

High Staff Turnover in London office shows discontent of employees and low company's productivity

Pros- not long hours: 8-17hs.
    - long lunch breaks: it could last for 2 hours.
    - gym's break can last for +2hours too!
    - easy job

Cons-Historically the London office had had a high staff turnover for their size. There are 20-25 people aprox in the London Office. i.e. +4 Heads of Europe in the last 5 years, 3 Heads of Sales in the last 5 years, +6 IT people in the last 5 years (STP integration managers, production support, etc), +10 Salespeoples and Customer Services Specialists in the last 5 years. There must be something wrong if stuff keep leaving!
    - Market do not see the London office as a serious place to do business with due to many factors. i.e. - Due to the high staff turnover, it is difficult to keep track of all the jobs that a client might require, fee changes, not up-to-date technology, personnel, US office's lack of interest re: UK colleagues, etc.
    -no way ahead to the market: competitors always 2 or 3 steps ahead

Advice to Senior Management- send some serious personnel from NYC to the London office before it is to late! Market makers are tired of all the excuses from Prod Mgr and relationship managers/salespeople in the London office.

Worked for MarketAxess? Contribute to the Community!