MarketOne

Updated February 4, 2015
Updated February 4, 2015
2.5

Fred Ewald

Good place for recent college graduates, particularly those who speak multiple languages.

Former Employee - Representative in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Representative in Maynard, MA

I worked at MarketOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's an okay place to start.

Cons

Its human resource model is after a factory. People are not treated very well - not badly, but as if they are part of the machinery.

Have more respect for your employees

Nails on a chalkboard

Former Contractor - Marketing Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Former Contractor - Marketing Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at MarketOne as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I did temp work for the company and it seems a though most of the employees are obtained that way. The environment is very laid back.

Cons

Some people were unprofessional in the workplace, gossiping, talking about inappropriate things. There is no variety in the work that you do, you literally sit at desk and make calls all day long. The work is very repetitive and seems as though there is no room for growth. The title that I was given really had nothing to do with what I did. After my temp time was over they offered to keep me on but I had to respectfully decline.

Poor leadership, lack of transparency, high churn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at MarketOne full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some smart people within the ranks. Sadly, they're not the ones in charge.

Cons

President is out of touch (clock-watcher: who's here at 8AM and still here at 530PM?) and does NOT appreciate his employees. That's felt throughout the company.

Clean house in your exec team (tooooooo much history and lack of ideas with existing), and treat your employees with the respect and appreciation they deserve. Identify career paths and facilitate growth and camaraderie among your employees. Culture matters.

Horrible Experience - Do Not Work Here

Former Employee - Sales Analyst in Maynard, MA

I worked at MarketOne full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can not say one good thing about this company.

Cons

MIsleading job descriptions, zero concern for ethical work practices, horrible morale.

Treat your employees like actual human beings.

Unfulfilled promises

Former Employee - Analyst in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Maynard, MA

I worked at MarketOne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to learn about technology, how different fortune 100-500 companies approach Marketing.

Cons

Its in Maynard.
    Management are often be little more than overpaid babysitters.
    Innovation is NOT rewarded.
    No real path for professional growth - a very easy place to get "stuck in a rut."

Try and remember your personnel are in fact your best assets. If you treat them in any other manner, they are bound to do an inferior job for you and the worst part is, you'll have no way of knowing it. Also, for God's sake, communicate better - let your personnel know what's happening with the company and your overall plans a little more than twice a year.

Additionally, your hiring practices are suspect. One Director I interviewed with indicated that the company was a "meritocracy" - where an employee who shows potential will be treated accordingly and given a fast track to Management. Sadly, the best employees would often jump ship because the growth path was limited and management slots were few and far between.

What I liked about the company was that when I first arrived, the focus was on gathering solid, actionable business intelligence. We wrote well crafted reports that focused on key business drivers, decision makers and business conditions. The people I worked with were great and I genuinely enjoyed them.

What I didn't care for occured after MarketOne reorganized its business units, bringing in the staff from the lower-tiered service offerings such as event bookings and mindless data entry campaigns. These folks have their place, but in no way were they of the caliber I was used to working with. Over time, the solid performers left and the focus on quality diminished as fast as the service offerings for the more botique clientele. The work became horrendously monotonous and mindless - when you couple this with a Managment structure focused solely on saying "yes" to every job that became available, the enviroment became pretty much unbearable.

For me, I realized that the meritocracy that the Director spoke of was a forgotten practice. When I asked about a growth path, it was as if I had 3 heads. 4 years later, when I left, I felt as if I was expendable - indeed, talking to former employees, they all kind of share the same sentiment.

Good - Its a job; Bad - It's just a job.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in Maynard, MA

I worked at MarketOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The work can be interesting and you can learn a lot about the technology industry and marketing messaging.

Cons

Management is very numbers driven and not very respectful. Management can be very cheap, and morale can be low. There is a lack of communication from management to employees.

Your customers are as happy as your employees. Play nice.

A good place for flexibility and independence, but not for connections or growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA

I have been working at MarketOne

Pros

The hours are flexible and can fit around other demands in your life. The managers are capable and provide the information and support you need.

Cons

The work is isolating and repetitive. Because it involves cold calling, a good number of negative responses are part of the normal day to day experience. Also, because the work is primarily done on the phone with people outside the company, there are not many opportunities to connect with co-workers and develop a sense of community.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Maynard, MA

I worked at MarketOne

Pros

The management is very fair and flexible. The benefit package is competitive and there is room for advancement. The owner and CEO, Fred Ewald, has an open door policy and is very accesible.

Cons

Maynard is in the middle of nowhere!

Mark Sullivan is leading the company to success with his forward thinking. MarketOne has managed to stay afloat during difficult times; hats off! You are doing a great job!

Always hiring, but don't expect growth

I worked at MarketOne

Pros

Willing to give anyone a chance and make things work
    Job ends when workday over, no off hours work to be done

Cons

Opportunity for growth was nil
    Misguided metrics that employees are forced to adhere to
    Shady hiring practices

Let people know what they're going to be doing during an interview. Don't oversell them on their role and don't give them a false hope of growth. The opportunity to move upward is incredibly infrequent and everyone there knows it after 3 weeks.

Also, placing effective work on metrics that matter and not just on volume. Expecting performance under the current system of rating employees is very counter productive and is an extremely old school approach to management.

Great working environment

I worked at MarketOne

Pros

Expanding business Great People Great Environment

Cons

Management is a bit out of line.

MarketOne Photos