MarketOne
www.marketone.com Maynard, MA

MarketOne Reviews

Updated Oct 18, 2013
MarketOne – London – “Flatland competition”

Fred Ewald

Good place for recent college graduates, particularly those who speak multiple languages.

Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at MarketOne full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's an okay place to start.

ConsIts human resource model is after a factory. People are not treated very well - not badly, but as if they are part of the machinery.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more respect for your employees

Horrible Experience - Do Not Work Here

Sales Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MarketOne full-time for less than a year

ProsI honestly can not say one good thing about this company.

ConsMIsleading job descriptions, zero concern for ethical work practices, horrible morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like actual human beings.

Unfulfilled promises

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MarketOne full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great place to learn about technology, how different fortune 100-500 companies approach Marketing.

ConsIts in Maynard.
Management are often be little more than overpaid babysitters.
Innovation is NOT rewarded.
No real path for professional growth - a very easy place to get "stuck in a rut."

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and remember your personnel are in fact your best assets. If you treat them in any other manner, they are bound to do an inferior job for you and the worst part is, you'll have no way of knowing it. Also, for God's sake, communicate better - let your personnel know what's happening with the company and your overall plans a little more than twice a year.

Additionally, your hiring practices are suspect. One Director I interviewed with indicated that the company was a "meritocracy" - where an employee who shows potential will be treated accordingly and given a fast track to Management. Sadly, the best employees would often jump ship because the growth path was limited and management slots were few and far between.

What I liked about the company was that when I first arrived, the focus was on gathering solid, actionable business intelligence. We wrote well crafted reports that focused on key business drivers, decision makers and business conditions. The people I worked with were great and I genuinely enjoyed them.

What I didn't care for occured after MarketOne reorganized its business units, bringing in the staff from the lower-tiered service offerings such as event bookings and mindless data entry campaigns. These folks have their place, but in no way were they of the caliber I was used to working with. Over time, the solid performers left and the focus on quality diminished as fast as the service offerings for the more botique clientele. The work became horrendously monotonous and mindless - when you couple this with a Managment structure focused solely on saying "yes" to every job that became available, the enviroment became pretty much unbearable.

For me, I realized that the meritocracy that the Director spoke of was a forgotten practice. When I asked about a growth path, it was as if I had 3 heads. 4 years later, when I left, I felt as if I was expendable - indeed, talking to former employees, they all kind of share the same sentiment.

Good - Its a job; Bad - It's just a job.

Senior Sales Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MarketOne full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers. The work can be interesting and you can learn a lot about the technology industry and marketing messaging.

ConsManagement is very numbers driven and not very respectful. Management can be very cheap, and morale can be low. There is a lack of communication from management to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour customers are as happy as your employees. Play nice.

A good place for flexibility and independence, but not for connections or growth.

I have been working at MarketOne

ProsThe hours are flexible and can fit around other demands in your life. The managers are capable and provide the information and support you need.

ConsThe work is isolating and repetitive. Because it involves cold calling, a good number of negative responses are part of the normal day to day experience. Also, because the work is primarily done on the phone with people outside the company, there are not many opportunities to connect with co-workers and develop a sense of community.

Great company to work for

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at MarketOne

ProsThe management is very fair and flexible. The benefit package is competitive and there is room for advancement. The owner and CEO, Fred Ewald, has an open door policy and is very accesible.

ConsMaynard is in the middle of nowhere!

Advice to Senior ManagementMark Sullivan is leading the company to success with his forward thinking. MarketOne has managed to stay afloat during difficult times; hats off! You are doing a great job!

Always hiring, but don't expect growth

Sales Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MarketOne

ProsWilling to give anyone a chance and make things work
Job ends when workday over, no off hours work to be done

ConsOpportunity for growth was nil
Misguided metrics that employees are forced to adhere to
Shady hiring practices

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people know what they're going to be doing during an interview. Don't oversell them on their role and don't give them a false hope of growth. The opportunity to move upward is incredibly infrequent and everyone there knows it after 3 weeks.

Also, placing effective work on metrics that matter and not just on volume. Expecting performance under the current system of rating employees is very counter productive and is an extremely old school approach to management.

Nice place to work

I have been working at MarketOne

ProsPeople are nice, work with large well known companies and projects are relatively interesting. The mutli cultural team are great and made lots of friends.

ConsNone, as long as you are willing to put in the effort, you can get good bonuses and rewards. If you dont put in the effort, then you dont, but i guess thats fair.

Great place to work

I have been working at MarketOne

ProsGlobal / multi-cultural environment, supportive management team, great people to work with, open culture and approachable senior management team, fun place to work

ConsUntil recently less emphasis on training and development however there are now lots more opportunities and more focus on training which is great

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Complete Joke

Sales (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at MarketOne full-time for less than a year

ProsYou could get away with doing very little if you so desired. Quite a relaxed working environment and some of the people were pretty cool. Finished an hour earlier on a Friday as long as you were in before 8am and made at least 40 calls a day.

ConsClearly a company trying very hard to "punch above its weight"
New business was none existent as frankly the so called sales team would struggle to close a pair of curtains!
Company relied on one account to bring in around 75% of their business.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe so called management would be better suited in a managerial role for McDonald's!

Worked for MarketOne? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MarketOne reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MarketOne CEO Fred Ewald. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by MarketOne employees.