MarketShare
www.marketshare.com Los Angeles, CA

MarketShare Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Smart colleagues, growing company and great opportunities.

Los Angeles, CA

Pros* Growing company makes for opportunities to take on increasingly large professional responsibilities for career growth
    * Talented colleagues
    * Strong support for work/life balance from management. The company supports technologies that allow for remote work when needed and management supports those priorities. There has not been a day that I walked into work and not wanted to be there
    * This company is producing a leading service and it feels good to be a part of making it even better
    * The culture is largely vibrant - but also, is what you make of it for good or bad. The age tends to skew on the younger side relative to other companies, being that it is a technology company and draws such talent.

Cons* Unlike a start-up, there is a mixed feeling of ownership or equity. There is an EPU program which is the equivalent of a stock option plan. Only, there is no well defined definition of the value of this plan. This leaves the possibility that the owners and board have a very lucrative sale without the employees benefiting as much or at all from it.
    * Pay is generally on the lower end of the scale

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you grow the company, carefully consider how to move forward with managing profitability. You have the fortune of talented and highly educated staff supporting the company and you have the misfortune of these people carefully watching every change good (new clients, new services) and bad (change in policies regarding promotions, bonuses, value of EPU, salary increases).
    I think your value is in your employees and innovation they have made and have yet to be made in the coming years. The client base, while impressive, will not grow at its current pace without the continued support from your staff.

Interesting company with some growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation, interesting clients, great technology

ConsStructure not matured, high turnover, lack of focus

Better Technology Firms Out There

ProsInteresting space. Problem that MarkeShare potentially solves is on every CMO's radar.
    Pretty good services/client implementation team.
    Smart people. Some egos.

ConsLess about software and more about manual process. Therefor Company cannot scale-not enough qualified people to build out the models and collect, append, augment the data.
    Product direction is poor. No CTO and CMO. This is more of a boutique consulting outfit. The software they deliver is a small portion of the overall solution, maybe 15%. Yet it's billed as a SaaS company. That's a stretch. They position this as SaaS to their clients and in their marketing.
    Culture is void.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has never run an enterprise software company before and they don't understand how to scale.

Big disconnect between senior management and employees. Strategist continually quiting because its a dead end job with no balance. Project burns out the strategists. Need to figure this out.

Not venture capital backed. Private equity backed. There will never be an equity exit play except for the founders and a few senior management. Therefor they will never attract top Silicon Valley talent.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn and challenge yourself

Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou're surrounded by the smartest people in their respective industries. You always have opportunities to learn and grow. Great benefits and flexibility where if you can get your work done and deliver, nobody will bother you. Salary is fair but room for improvement. Ability to dictate your own career path and take on opportunities that you wouldn't have in a more corporate or bureaucratic organization.

ConsIf you're looking for a place that dictates your work with black and white answers, this is not the place for you. Constantly working in the gray area and dictating process and best practices as we go along. The exciting part is pioneering that, but it's not for everybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency, more communication, mentor the middle management and leadership tier better

Love this company! Visionary leadership and excellent perks!

Director of Product Marketing (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsMarketShare is a leader in Big Data Marketing Analytics and working here is definitely an opportunity to personally learn, grow, and help shape this booming market. The leadership is extremely approachable and all ideas are openly welcome. It feels like a small start-up even though there are almost 300 employees. People are always willing to help each other by giving guidance, answering questions, or making themselves available for a spontaneous game of ping pong or pool. The collaborative environment includes whiteboard walls, couches, and state-of-the-art video conferencing capabilities that link and unify all of the global offices. Employees are highly valued and the perks include everything from generous vacation and health benefits to free gym membership and external programs for discounts on general shopping, activities, and travel. I have worked at both large enterprise and small start-up companies and this is definitely one of my favorite places so far!

ConsI can't think of any so far.

Been there for close to 5 years and am as energized as the first day

ProsHighly innovative work, transforming the industry by combining great math, top notch technology and deep expertise. Team members are super smart with very diverse backgrounds. With offices in various countries around the world and a wide variety of academic/work experiences, I learn new things from my team members every day. The company keeps on signing leading brands as customers and partners and is launching exciting new products. We also have a great track record of customer satisfaction and retention.

ConsAs a growth company, we struggle with "growing pains" that come with it. We continue to evolve the organization to better map to that growth path, and change talent with it - that can be stressful at times. As we launch new products we get new learnings, some of which come from learning from failures, which can be frustrating at times. As we add LOTS more new people some time it may feel like the early-on culture dilutes. All in all I think that these are logical challenges (and quite frankly, opportunities) at this stage and personally this is what makes it so exciting to be here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to up the game in terms of leading our culture and innovation evolution.

If you want to work for a SaaS Marketing Analytics platform, Big Data, etc., this is it!

Los Angeles, CA

ProsCutting edge technology, A-list investors, smart people, collaborative culture. The number of Fortune 500 clients and C-Suite press coverage is quite astonishing for a company that young. Great offices in prime locations around the world: Los Angeles, Redwood Shores, New York, Bangalore, Tokyo, London

ConsNot many cons... We do work hard/long hours, but I don't see it in a negative way, because I enjoy what I'm doing. Work schedules can be flexible, depending on your role, and you're being treated as an adult in that regard.

Smart People and Great Ideas not translating

ProsI have been working at MarketShare full-time for more than a year

Pros – An industry leader using innovative methodology seeking to address a decades-old challenge.
    Super smart, supportive, and fun teammates to work with.
    Remnants of a "start-up" culture (free soda)
    Big clients

ConsCons – -Low morale and lack of recognition for work (no visibility into raises/bonuses. Churn among top level employees, which also reflects poorly the value of having equity.
    -Constant technical limitations on data and software (creates more manual labor)
    -Over-selling capabilities/services beyond what the technology and teams can manage. At the end of the day the client points of contact make it work and it requires continually work with the client. All the while management wants to sell, sell, sell without understanding that software and the human resources needed to make it work scale quite differently
    -Growth seems to be slowing (it may not be, but nobody tells you) and there appears to be more penny-pinching unless you're at the top. Shifting to focus on sales is a fine idea if you have the necessary resources to support the intended growth, which isn't the case.
    -Limited ways to grow personally/professionally (on-the-job training to do very specific tasks; little that is transferable). You need to have the skill sets coming in and not expect to pick any new skills in the process. More and more is entering a black box.
    -Seems to be a complete disconnect with senior management. Management says we're winning business like crazy, the tools will be game changers, and they're reorganizing the company to support our evolution. Down in the trenches, employees are working long hours after given more work for no reward, are crippled by the technology designed to change the game, and end up leaving the company with no new skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior Management – Focus on some cross functional training.
    Increase transparency from the top (a reviewer saying 'we have only lost 1 client in 5 years' is a victim of some PR machine).

If you know your future is in marketing analytics, this is the place to be

Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat teammates, strong methodology, and great PR about the company.
    If you want to do mix for the rest of your life, you can/should do it here because Marketshare's approach is more 'right' and working here will enable you to work at most companies that do mix.

ConsLong growing pains from shifting a traditionally custom service to a scalable continuous SAAS service.
    Constant time crunches, bugs/technology issues, non-existent work/life balance, and leadership far more interested in their growth.
    Skills you'll develop can be narrowed down to: 30% dealing/managing client relationships/needs, 45% getting the data in a reasonable state, 15% spec'ing/validating models, 10% on getting the software right. Most transferable skills surround your ability to work with clients and data, which you should already have experience with.
    For the most part, these cons are pretty common across mix companies (high churn, long hours, low professional development, mediocre pay).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a reason to stay?

Good work..but toxic culture

Strategist (Current Employee)

ProsI have been working full time in Marketshare for more than 3 years.
    1) The work is interesting and the project pipeline is diverse

ConsThe company culture is toxic
    1) Clannish - Employees form their own cliques based on the team/project they work on. Even in the company sponsored events, the employees in different teams tend to socialize among their own group and rarely talk or interact with others outside their group.
    2) Arrogant - Some employees (especially the senior employees) come across as arrogant and condescending. You will often feel that your colleague/manager is more interested in proving that they are smarter than you , rather than work with you.
    3) Superficial - The company encourages a culture of superficiality, where your colleagues and upper management will smile and offer verbal encouragement to you, while preparing to ding and critique you in your review. Direct, honest feedback (other than the annual review) is rarely offered.

The salaries are below average, and you will find it difficult to live in the high cost cities where Marketshare is situated. The company is no longer on a high growth trajectory and the upper management is more interested in squeezing as much as possible from existing employees, and therefore raises and bonuses are harder to get if you are not in upper management.

Worked for MarketShare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MarketShare reviews and ratings. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by MarketShare employees.