MarketStar Reviews in Ogden, UT

Updated September 11, 2014
3.5

MarketStar President and CEO Dave Treadway
Dave Treadway

Pros
  • Lots of autonomy and a great work/ life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good pay for those early in their careers (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has zero clue as to what is actually going on in the field (in 19 reviews)

• No room for growth in the company (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Job

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy my job content, a lot of management shakeup recently but I think it will all turn out for the better.

Cons

Compensation isn't great compared to industry standards. The BI department has become the catch all for lack of operations managers, which can make your job challenging.

Great culture and very good people. Successful company and business model.

Former Employee - Vice President Business Development  in  Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Numerous opportunities to grow in the company. Exceptional support and tools for success. Great history, and successful growing the business that evolves well to the needs of the market.

Cons

Very conservative, not a lot of innovation "thinking outside the box" during my time there. The direction of the company is controlled by a few stakeholders.

Need to empower the people, there are so many good people to draw relevant intelligence to gain even greater success.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Director of Sales  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Provides a ton of autonomy. Great people

Cons

Very little cons. Great place to work

Keep up the good work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is not bad and the benefits are ok

Cons

constant layoffs and no training, ZERO work life balance- be prepared to work 60+ hours per week if you are salaried

get more support in support areas - IT, HR, Finance

Great company on paper but poorly execute.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You won't get rich with their wage but you won't starve.

Cons

Unless you are already or have been a member of upper management, you WILL NOT progress.

They need to hire a variety of personalities instead of the exact same managers that give the same results.

Great Place to work, especially as a step to somewhere else

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experiences nice culture. ok pay

Cons

Little to know upward movement available. ok pay

Great company to work for IF you can get hired

Former Employee - Client Team  in  Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Client Team in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

The typical work culture is great. Many of the client teams allow casual attire like jeans etc. The founder of the company is a very good man and down to earth. He once walked with me and my friend on our way to lunch down the street and talked to us like we were old buddies. I have great respect for him. They really take care of their employees well. They offer really good benefits and a PTO structure that puts other companies to shame, which may be part of why people typically don't wish to leave the company. And they provide movie days, bring in outside companies to cater lunch from time to time, have patio barbecues...it's refreshing to be appreciated. The founder's motto is 1st- God, 2nd-Family, 3rd-the job. I like that. And it is evident in his attitudes towards people. Notice I said HIS attitude...that doesn't mean every manager shares that same attitude. (See CONS). Overall, if you can get hired, it is one of the best experiences I've had in my career.

Cons

Okay, that being said, every company has its down side. Warning: I may not be politically correct here. The only way I was able to be hired was through a temp agency because I have no degree (they are really big on having a degree). The other reason is where the PC not so much comes in. Now this may be a Utah thing, but it seems that your likelihood to be directly hired here weighs heavily upon whether or not you are a Mormon. Okay, I said it. Many of the managers here are just that, and if you are like them, you have a bright future there. The managers that do not have that label, are the opposite. Everyone has a fair chance. Same thing goes for the recruiters. If you are fortunate enough to be applying for a job which starts with a non-mormon recruiter, you have a chance. But still, if the manager is one, good luck (for the most part). If you can get past this, congrats to you because you achieved something big. The ONLY other three down sides to this company are: 1. pay is a little on the low side, 2. they never give raises unless you are promoted 3. if you are on a client team, your job security is largely based on the business need of the client and they often have a RIF (reduction in force) but that is the nature of this type of business. HOWEVER, the upside is that this company will do whatever they can to "relocate" you to a different team if the opening exists. They prioritize those that have been a victim of a RIF over anyone else when they have openings...yeah, I know that is a PRO, but that's called making lemonade out of lemons. And, I would work for this company again in a New York minute...even with the CONS.

Don't discriminate based on religion (or lack thereof). Upper level management-please start giving your people merit raises...other companies do, you should too.

MarketStar Recruiting Department

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

MarketStar is a part of the Publicis Omnicom Group Omnicom Group Inc. (NYSE: OMC) the largest advertising and marketing organization in the world. As the pioneer in outsourced sales and marketing since 1988, MarketStar supports the vision and promotes the success of hundreds of companies, large to small, across the world. MarketStar's team manages over 80,000 commercial accounts, visits nearly 1,000,000 retail stores annually, interacts with over 500,000 customers via phone and closes nearly $13 Billion in annual sales for our clients.

MarketStar's 6000 global team members are a unique blend of field, phone and digital based staff. With operations across North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, we communicate in over 20 languages and call into over 70 countries. Our people are not just outsourced staff; they're passionate advocates, dedicated to representing and promoting our clients' products and services. Join the leader in sales and marketing outsourcing.

Cons

There is a need to be able to wear many hats and be as agile as possible. This can take a lot of energy. It's worth it at the end of the day when you get to make a phone call to extend an offer and be the first step in an individual's career path.

Terrible company

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative V Sales Representative  in  Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative V Sales Representative in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for underachievers that don't have a degree

Cons

Terrible management, I mean BAD.
    They pay you crumbs, just enough to keep you there. From experience I found a job that pays twice what marketstar will pay you.
    They are at the mercy of their client, you are a pee on. I was a TOP rep in the program and lost my job, very unstable. Contracts can be pulled anytime. HR had some slip ups they are in some legal trouble with now. I promise you there are better jobs out there

Get to know your employees, the ones who are on the front line battling everyday.

I see my co-workers more often than my family-- Marketstar beautifully embraces each individual as family.

Current Employee - Account Development Representative, AdRoll  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Account Development Representative, AdRoll in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary; dedicated, continuous training; multiple facets of marketing, from ad tech to channel sales; the PERKS-- movies, local discounts, catered meals; full benefits

Cons

Job security-- contracts are subject to end abruptly. That said, building a strong rapport with management will ensure a future opportunity with M* Corp.

Continue to care for your employees on an individual basis-- one-on-one reviews over delicious, gourmet coffee; candid "how are you's...?"; and rewarded VISA's-- yeah, we LoVE all of that.

Worked for MarketStar? Contribute to the Community!