MarketStar

MarketStar Reviews in Ogden, UT

Updated Jul 22, 2014

MarketStar President and CEO Dave Treadway

Dave Treadway

Pros
  • Lots of autonomy and a great work/ life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Good pay for those early in their careers(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has zero clue as to what is actually going on in the field(in 18 reviews)

• No room for growth in the company(in 7 reviews)

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture and very good people. Successful company and business model.

Vice President Business Development (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsNumerous opportunities to grow in the company. Exceptional support and tools for success. Great history, and successful growing the business that evolves well to the needs of the market.

ConsVery conservative, not a lot of innovation "thinking outside the box" during my time there. The direction of the company is controlled by a few stakeholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to empower the people, there are so many good people to draw relevant intelligence to gain even greater success.

Great Company to work for

Director of Sales (Current Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsProvides a ton of autonomy. Great people

ConsVery little cons. Great place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Not a good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsPay is not bad and the benefits are ok

Consconstant layoffs and no training, ZERO work life balance- be prepared to work 60+ hours per week if you are salaried

Advice to Senior Managementget more support in support areas - IT, HR, Finance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company on paper but poorly execute.

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsYou won't get rich with their wage but you won't starve.

ConsUnless you are already or have been a member of upper management, you WILL NOT progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to hire a variety of personalities instead of the exact same managers that give the same results.

Great Place to work, especially as a step to somewhere else

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsGreat experiences nice culture. ok pay

ConsLittle to know upward movement available. ok pay

Great company to work for IF you can get hired

Client Team (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsThe typical work culture is great. Many of the client teams allow casual attire like jeans etc. The founder of the company is a very good man and down to earth. He once walked with me and my friend on our way to lunch down the street and talked to us like we were old buddies. I have great respect for him. They really take care of their employees well. They offer really good benefits and a PTO structure that puts other companies to shame, which may be part of why people typically don't wish to leave the company. And they provide movie days, bring in outside companies to cater lunch from time to time, have patio barbecues...it's refreshing to be appreciated. The founder's motto is 1st- God, 2nd-Family, 3rd-the job. I like that. And it is evident in his attitudes towards people. Notice I said HIS attitude...that doesn't mean every manager shares that same attitude. (See CONS). Overall, if you can get hired, it is one of the best experiences I've had in my career.

ConsOkay, that being said, every company has its down side. Warning: I may not be politically correct here. The only way I was able to be hired was through a temp agency because I have no degree (they are really big on having a degree). The other reason is where the PC not so much comes in. Now this may be a Utah thing, but it seems that your likelihood to be directly hired here weighs heavily upon whether or not you are a Mormon. Okay, I said it. Many of the managers here are just that, and if you are like them, you have a bright future there. The managers that do not have that label, are the opposite. Everyone has a fair chance. Same thing goes for the recruiters. If you are fortunate enough to be applying for a job which starts with a non-mormon recruiter, you have a chance. But still, if the manager is one, good luck (for the most part). If you can get past this, congrats to you because you achieved something big. The ONLY other three down sides to this company are: 1. pay is a little on the low side, 2. they never give raises unless you are promoted 3. if you are on a client team, your job security is largely based on the business need of the client and they often have a RIF (reduction in force) but that is the nature of this type of business. HOWEVER, the upside is that this company will do whatever they can to "relocate" you to a different team if the opening exists. They prioritize those that have been a victim of a RIF over anyone else when they have openings...yeah, I know that is a PRO, but that's called making lemonade out of lemons. And, I would work for this company again in a New York minute...even with the CONS.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't discriminate based on religion (or lack thereof). Upper level management-please start giving your people merit raises...other companies do, you should too.

MarketStar Recruiting Department

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsMarketStar is a part of the Publicis Omnicom Group Omnicom Group Inc. (NYSE: OMC) the largest advertising and marketing organization in the world. As the pioneer in outsourced sales and marketing since 1988, MarketStar supports the vision and promotes the success of hundreds of companies, large to small, across the world. MarketStar's team manages over 80,000 commercial accounts, visits nearly 1,000,000 retail stores annually, interacts with over 500,000 customers via phone and closes nearly $13 Billion in annual sales for our clients.

MarketStar's 6000 global team members are a unique blend of field, phone and digital based staff. With operations across North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, we communicate in over 20 languages and call into over 70 countries. Our people are not just outsourced staff; they're passionate advocates, dedicated to representing and promoting our clients' products and services. Join the leader in sales and marketing outsourcing.

ConsThere is a need to be able to wear many hats and be as agile as possible. This can take a lot of energy. It's worth it at the end of the day when you get to make a phone call to extend an offer and be the first step in an individual's career path.

Terrible company

Inside Sales Representative V Sales Representative (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsGood for underachievers that don't have a degree

ConsTerrible management, I mean BAD.
    They pay you crumbs, just enough to keep you there. From experience I found a job that pays twice what marketstar will pay you.
    They are at the mercy of their client, you are a pee on. I was a TOP rep in the program and lost my job, very unstable. Contracts can be pulled anytime. HR had some slip ups they are in some legal trouble with now. I promise you there are better jobs out there

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees, the ones who are on the front line battling everyday.

I see my co-workers more often than my family-- Marketstar beautifully embraces each individual as family.

Account Development Representative, AdRoll (Current Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsCompetitive salary; dedicated, continuous training; multiple facets of marketing, from ad tech to channel sales; the PERKS-- movies, local discounts, catered meals; full benefits

ConsJob security-- contracts are subject to end abruptly. That said, building a strong rapport with management will ensure a future opportunity with M* Corp.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to care for your employees on an individual basis-- one-on-one reviews over delicious, gourmet coffee; candid "how are you's...?"; and rewarded VISA's-- yeah, we LoVE all of that.

A rewarding experience while it lasted. Be cautious of job security.

BlackBerry Market Manager (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsFlexibility, Decent Pay. The hiring process, training, and job itself was a rewarding experience. I had an excellent and supportive manager. This job requires self control and good time-management; because you create your own schedule and hours (you're required 40 hours a week, but what time of day your shift starts is up to you.)

ConsNo Job Security (Work based on Client Contract.) Laid off in a very unprofessional manner. All employees were told to join a conference call and a big portion of the National Team was laid off during this unexpected call - without warning. The management Team that was in charge of the layoff didn't seem very apologetic, and even had the nerve to laugh and joke around with each other while keeping everyone waiting for an additional 15-20 minutes after they informed us the conference was starting.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give future employees options should contracts with current clients expire. Hundreds of individuals lost their jobs/incomes as a result of a dropped client (right before Christmas.) Many of us have families/kids to support. While this is the nature of business, it should have been disclosed to us prior to considering employment.

Worked for MarketStar? Contribute to the Community!