MarketStar

Updated December 18, 2014
3.5

MarketStar President and CEO Dave Treadway
Dave Treadway

Pros
  • Lots of autonomy and a great work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, interaction with customers and associates, great start on learning to lead (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has zero clue as to what is actually going on in the field (in 19 reviews)

• Unless you're willing to wait 10 years or brown nose with both management and client there is no room for growth (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Company

Current Employee - Brand Advocate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Brand Advocate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MarketStar

Pros

Technology comes first with this company. They always make sure that they stay ahead with resources to help employees.
    They have many programs that are actually more of an experience than a job.
    You will never have a dull day working for Marketstar.

Cons

Not many other than the fact that some programs last weeks, and some last months.

Keep up the exciting work. And I cant wait to see the company 5 years from now.

Great Experience, always recommend to friends

Former Employee - Google Specialist
    Former Employee - Google Specialist

I worked at MarketStar part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They focused on training us very well on the products that we were promoting. Training was fun and worked with a great group of people! The pay is also good and you get to promote a successful company.

Cons

Because it is a seasonal position, It is difficult to take time off and sometimes required to work holidays. This position also scheduled us to work Friday through Sunday, which is okay for a few months but after a while I started to miss out on family/friend events because of work.

Have account managers be more involved, I saw my manager at training and that was the only time I met her.

Product Specialist Point of View.

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MarketStar as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people at MarketStar are very nice, full of excitement and cause you enjoy working for the company. Paid training is provided at the headquarters in Utah. Once you're out in the field even though you're out there alone you dont feel like it. You have the support of your area manager and regional team members that you can always call on. Believe it or not they make you feel like family and the pay along with other small perks are great! If you're afraid of a little competition or unable to manage your time then this is not the job for you. As for me, I loved it..MarketStar was the best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

I can honestly say that I do not have any cons for this company.

Keep up the great work!

Google Territory Manager

Current Employee - Territory Manager - Google
    Current Employee - Territory Manager - Google

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marketstar has some awesome clients like Google. You represent brands people know and love. These things make your job a whole lot easier.
    It is a great stepping stone into something greater but it is not a career company.

Cons

Total lack of organization. While they claim they have leadership development for people in the field, the reality is that unless you are in either Ogden, UT or Orange, CA you will not be able to participate.
    Individual programs lack understanding of work/life balance.

Focus more on your field management teams.

Good Company

I worked at MarketStar

Pros

Good pay flexible schedule. The companies that you represent a on the forefront of technology.

Cons

Not every division has the same leadership

I know this is a marketing company but don't get sold on the "we can easily place you on another project" line because that doesn't neccessarily happen.

It was a fantastic experience working for Marketstar. They treat their employees with great respect. It was very educational. My direct supervisor was a wonderful leader and friend.

Former Employee - LG Product Specialist in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - LG Product Specialist in Ventura, CA

I worked at MarketStar as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to not be stuck working in an office. It was great to travel to different locations and meet and develop relationships with so many people. Fair pay and great opportunity to earn bonuses.

Cons

The only cons were that I wasn't able to work for them longer and that because their headquarters are in the central time zone and I worked in the Pacific time zone. As a result we had 2-3 less hours to meet certain deadlines because those deadlines were based on central time not pacific.

Make deadlines the same for everyone. If say you have an 11:00 PM deadline they should be 11:00 PM in the time zone you work not just Central Time. Employees in the west coast have 2 less hours to meet that deadline while those on the east coast get an extra hour

Product Trainer

Current Employee - Product Trainer in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Product Trainer in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast moving company with lots of opportunities for advancement (if your in the right location). Employee's are well compensated for their time and scheduled hours are often flexible when your a full-time employee. Great work life balance.

Cons

Jobs security is often out of your hands and can sway wilding depending on what's happening with tech industry. Some programs are better managed than others just as some products are better than others.

There is basically no internal development training for employee's that are interested in moving to the executive level. Visibility into program direction and health is difficult to obtain below the national level of management.

Great company

Current Employee - Field Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at MarketStar part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company for college students weekdays off for school and set schedule which almost never change.

Cons

Short and limited hours
    If you are not in school this job takes away your weekends.
    Theres almost no way of moving up

Poor Management on LG Mobile Team.

Former Employee - LG Product Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - LG Product Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MarketStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job ... It's a job... It's a job.

Cons

Little concern for amount of work load being placed on Product Specialists. NO work/ Personal Life balance. No salary increases for amount of work being given and message to employees shows you do not care when you consistently do nothing to change or recognize employees for the job done.

Wake up and listen to employees and why they are leaving or you have created a revolving door already.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager V in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager V in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mostly flexible work schedule - Monday through Friday 8-5. Lower pay and ok benefits. Essentially great starter job for a little experience to move on to something better.

Cons

No matter how hard you work you can lose your job if the team you are on is dissolved - unfortunately too many people play instead of working. If you rehire after a layoff you lose your seniority.

It seems you are losing the many of your managers that really count. Stick to the original pillars and Marketstar will be The leader in the business. With out the pillars you will lose your edge - maybe it is too late?

MarketStar Photos