Marketing Architects Reviews

Reset
1.9
Chuck Hengel
1 Rating

1. Started out great, devolved into a degrading daily experience and limited career path

Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Marketing Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent strategic, tactical and collaborative approach to testing and proving ROI positive direct marketing campaigns. Smart people and smart systems. Internally highly integrated. Glad to see the CEO recently responded to one of the reviews posted here. That's healthy. I challenge him to respond to this review as well, and to take its recommendations seriously.

Cons

Profoundly insular, risk averse, paranoid senior management. Same team that once innovated and strived to be a "Good To Great" culture collapsed into a deeply suspicious (of their own people and their clients) group of germaphobes (if you touched something on their desk it was promptly tossed into the garbage). Extreme micro-management on steroids. It was like working for a team of Howard Hughes clones ... smart but completely delusional. Executive Management Team believed only their own advice to themselves. All employees calls/emails are monitored. Reviews based more on perception than actual data/facts. Constant re-orgs killing off any positive momentum. CEO would create huge company culture shifts every time he read a new business book, or if just one consultant offered him a different perspective. I could go on. This barely scratches the surface.

Advice to Management

Let the smart people you hired do their jobs. Praise their success and don't work behind the scenes to undermine their role and their confidence. Return their loyalty with yours. BE CONSISTENT, and stop the never ending, counterproductive re-orgs. CEO should stick to ZoomWorx "O&O" product development and NOT interfere with the account management teams, leadership, or other advertiser-client facing aspects of the business.

Marketing Architects Response

Apr 29, 2015 – CEO

Personally, I think it’s healthy to leave a business you don’t believe in. I’ve done that twice in my career. Great companies are polarizing to work at. I know of great companies in this town that if ... More

2. Management caused a lot of issues among their teams

I worked at Marketing Architects full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Pretty good about going after a vision

Cons

No flexibility and employee morale was extremely low. Very top down company. Office politics was always a problem. No team building opportunities, ever. And never got a formal review or exit interview. They're business model isn't very easy to understand or follow

Advice to Management

Support your staff. Whether you knew it or not, employees weren't always happy and often feared for losing their job.

This place is frustrating and ridiculous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Marketing Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, there WAS free lunch and cookies...until they took that away.

Cons

Nothing ever gets done. People won't make decisions even when the evidence is staring them in the face.

Marketing Architects Response

Mar 4, 2015 – CEO

Do be fair, your perception is what it is, and I can't change that. What I don't see offered in response (so doing it here) is the more common concern I hear for how fast we actually work, change ... More

Different even surreal at times.

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Marketing Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are fantastic. The fact that the company prides itself on being at the cutting edge of technology is admirable.

Cons

Overly controlling and distrusting. Too many rungs on the decision making ladder even after "flattening management".

Too many directions, not enough attention to the issues that really matter.

I have been working at Marketing Architects

Pros

There is such a exhaustive interview process and so many candidates interviewed that you ended up working with great people-- Those career connections will last a lifetime because of a shared experience. Appearances do have an impact, but focusing only appearances can by both a blessing and a curse.

Cons

MA's EMT is held hostage by a micro-managing owner/CEO, and is therefore unwilling or unable to leverage organic (bottom-up) thought leadership or growth. The current environment at MA stifles professional growth, suffocates any semblance of culture and destroys any hope of truly having innovation be the driving force of your company.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to think for themselves, instead of complying with the EMT's spastic ideas and reactions based on their own insufficiencies. Get out of the weeds. Segment your target audiences, not your resources. Growth does not come from hiring more people to take on internal (sometimes downright meaningless) projects. Focus on your core compentencies and explore where you need to be stronger. . Get known for being a thought leader in a few key areas of your industry. Stop trying to be everything to everyone.

Great pay and benefits but uniquely strange environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Marketing Architects

Pros

Great benefits and pay including bonus. Free lunch, beverages and snacks. Modern, high-tech environment. Overall, co-workers were great and highly competent.

Cons

Management is very distrusting of employees. Things were very strict and everyone was watched like a hawk. You are expected to devote yourself beyond a reasonable amount to the company. Nights, weekends... sacrifice your personal life and family for the good of the company on a regular basis. For those that love this, the environment is very cult-like. It was a very odd culture at times.

It was ok, I liked my co-workers

I worked at Marketing Architects full-time

Pros

I liked the people I worked with. At the time, the company provided free lunch which was a great perk.

Cons

They expected you to work an extended work schedule. It was hard to achieve work/life/balance, which is why I left.

RSS Feed </> Embed