Marketing Evolution

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Rex Briggs

My Somewhere-Over-the-Rainbow

El Dorado Hills, CA

ProsThe company is a leader in the industry with incredible growth opportunities. Quarterly reviews of different types and youearnedit.com membership offer valuable feedback, recognition, perks and election for bonus/raise. Company Values encourage in-depth training, process improvement, continued education, idea sharing, and positive company morale. Intelligent coworkers make for a knowledgeable and productive environment. Capacity planning helps ensure you are not overloaded or twirling your thumbs. Compensation and benefits package are better than most and are still improving. Office technology is advanced and you are provided any and all tech tools to help you succeed. Turnover has significantly slowed down due to efforts by senior management to improve morale, reduce work capacity, reward hard work and make better hiring decisions. Most employees that have proven they can stay on task are allowed to work remotely a couple days a week or more. Unless meeting with a client, the dress code is super casual and comfortable. With recent adoption of a morale budget, the offices participate in frequent fun activities and charity events - like beach cleanup, happy hour, staff lunch/dinners, pro baseball games, and river rafting. The morale budget also provides snacks in the kitchen like Keurig coffee, Clif bars, Jerky, Fruit, Candy, Juice, Chips, Nuts and more.

ConsCommunication with senior management can be challenging at times, as most work remotely. Some costs are cut while others seem frivolous.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease encourage more inter-office interaction. It would be nice to know the people in other offices better, as we work together on a daily basis.

It's about making our clients successful

Variety of Roles (Current Employee)

ProsI really enjoy the people and culture.

The use of technology, the orientation toward innovation, the dedication to education for team members, clients, and more broadly the industry, and the focus on figuring out how to increase marketers return-on-investment is up-lifting.

- People: Smart, capable, fun.
    - Technology: Amazing software.
    - Process: Well managed system for getting work done, and protecting time for innovation.
    - Clients: Interesting and diverse businesses to analyze. Clients respect us as close partners.
    - Pride: The company has consistently innovated. Attribution modeling, the value of online advertising on offline sales, then social media, then mobile... all at the same time as the level of insights become more detailed, and more real-time. That feels great to be part of ground-breaking work that I see written about in academic articles and dozens of business books that quote Marketing Evolution. I am thrilled when former professors ask me for my insight or experience on big data, etc. because they know we are at the forefront.

It feels like everyone is on the same page on the vision and purpose of the company, which centers on making marketers successful by delivering predictability, visibility and control over marketing ROI.

ConsThe agile method for managing innovation is a double-edged sword. It is great in that each month, meaningful progress is achieved. The other side is that there is always part of everyone's time that is pushing into the unknown.

Some people don't like the idea of "life-long learning." Usually these people opt-out within the first year when they find discomfort with having to innovate. It is important for hiring managers to ensure that people understand the expectation to innovate as an ongoing commitment.

On balance, I like the fact that its a cultural mandate to always learn, create and grow -- to evolve.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've watched the company grow-up over the years, and enjoy the way in which the internal management has evolved. There is a great core of values that are explicit, that virtually everyone buys into, and opts into when they join. The agile/scrum process works well to consistently deliver innovation. I would ask that management consider if we can achieve more if we had a few less internal meetings. I would encourage management to please keep up the commitment to A-Players.

Innovative, interesting, challenging work!

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExceptional co-workers who are extremely smart and collaborative; supportive culture; junior level employees have access to senior management; all opinions are valued; work is challenging and engaging on a daily basis; firm is committed to innovation that will push the industry forward.

ConsBecause of the focus on rapid innovation, employees are tasked with embracing ambiguity and defining new processes regularly. This is not a great fit for everyone.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

'Industry Leader' That Makes it Up As They Go After Promising It to Clients

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

Pros- On the cutting edge of the market (i.e. growing pains)
    - Friendly and helpful coworkers
    - Small company environment where hard work gets recognized

Cons- Below market pay
    - Tight deadlines with repetitive work
    - Management is disorganized and doesn't follow through
    - HIGH turnover

Advice to Senior Management- If you want to retain top talent then pay them like it
    - Management always has grand ideas that are never followed through
    - Worker morale is poor because of high turnover and repetitive high stress workloads

Hardworking bunch of smart, fun people

New York, NY

ProsEveryone was smart, very hard-working and always treated each other with respect and kindness
    The work culture was relaxed and goals-focused. What mattered was getting your work done well and not how long you clocked-in
    Work was interesting and varied, and you were given ownership of project(s) relatively quickly
    Great office location

ConsNot all the offices had same opportunities or types of projects which sometimes limited your exposure to new initiatives or approaches

Involve. Solve. Evolve.

ProsSmall Company, Great visibility, Advanced Analytics, Innovation, Product development, Great opportunities for advancement, consistent and constructive feedback, smart colleagues, great mentorship, limited travel.

ConsSometimes, innovation outpaced implementation. New Analysts usually need to be self-motivated to self-train in the initial ramp-up period.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication

Disorganized, lacks management transparency, poor culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, there's a lot of responsibility up for grabs, most people are very nice

ConsPoor benefits, high turnover, insufficient communication from leadership. Management is cheap and doesn't invest sufficiently in morale and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop congratulating yourself for small accomplishments and make some real changes. You're not such a start-up anymore and you need to be willing to put in the money to grow.

Fast paced, tremendous opportunities, and great people

ProsI said it in my headline... This is a company that has an extremely intelligent and hard working employee base. Anyone coming into the company will benefit from the knowledge base available to them and will also have lots of opportunity to grow. We work with Fortune 500 companies and cutting edge technology as well as techniques.

ConsIf you like finite structure and having someone tell you what to do all the time, this isn't the place for you. Employees are expected to learn quickly and run with their work. While this is again, great opportunity, it can feel overwhelming if you're unprepared, shy, or not a proactive type.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor, communicate openly, and make sure people know they're appreciated. Great progress is being made in this regard.

Talented Industry Leader, Incredible Learning Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Wonderful chance to learn more about research methodology from the trenches, plenty of opportunities to self-train and ask questions.
    -Internship is well-structured: generous timeline for training with plenty of material, regular meetings for feedback and progress, opportunities to sit in on client meetings.
    -Energetic, talented, and amiable staff at all levels, senior management is accessible and committed to the professional development of all employees.
    -Strong commitment to building firm unity across and within offices, despite being a small (but growing!) company.
    -High level of responsibility coupled with the opportunity to seek guidance as often as necessary.

Cons-Quick turnover rate, retaining talent at lower levels seems to be a challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a great internship experience, and I'll be grateful for this incredible opportunity for the rest of my career. I'm excited to see how Marketing Evolution will continue to innovate and grow as company in the next few years.

A Company Experiencing Growing Pains and Lacking Analytic Talent and Capabilities

Data Scientist (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are generally very nice and supportive
    They recognize their traditional services are stale and are working to improve them, including their approach to statistical inference.
    If you are interested in the marketing/advertising industries there are many opportunities for gaining industry knowledge

ConsHigh turnover for a company this size; about 8 people left during a 7 month time span.
    Those who stay longer seem to have a deluded or inflated estimate of the value of the service to clients.
    Employees are distributed across 4 offices which can be a hindrance to collaboration and team building.
    Don't be fooled that they use the title Data Scientist here. Analytic work is extremely basic and most tasks are a matter of copying and altering Tibco S-plus scripts. Some employees don't even know how to carry out cluster analyses, mainly because there is not much opportunity for that kind of work. I was essentially just doing two sample Z tests and very basic regression models on data sets of usually only a few hundred records.
    The pay is generally low, especially for employees living in Boston and New York.

Advice to Senior Management1. Get better customer management and sales data from your clients as opposed to online surveys
    2. Provide work that allows your "data scientists" to earn their title and hire experienced ones who can be peer mentors. Most current employees would be lucky to get a screening call for a real data scientist job with their Marketing Evolution resumes.
    3. Be honest in the interview process. If a candidate asks whether there is high turnover or you are hiring for replacement tell the truth.

Worked for Marketing Evolution? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marketing Evolution reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marketing Evolution CEO Rex Briggs. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Marketing Evolution employees.