Marketing Support Inc.

Marketing Support Inc. Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Weiner

It's been an ongoing experience of professional and personal growth in a unique and caring environment.

(Current Employee)

ProsGenerous, smart, fun people
    Genuine concern for clients
    Flexibile, casual, comfortable environment
    Employees respect each others' unique personalities and find a way to work together to produce optimum results.
    Culture is one which supports the "maverick" spirit in its employess and encourages them to take on whatever interests them.

ConsCompany has a strong desire to see the best in its people, often giving them the benefit of the doubt in situations where expectations may have not been met in job performance. This focusing on people's strengths rather than their weaknesses is one of the company's best qualities. Unfortunately, in its eagerness to give employees a second and third chance to improve, there have been cases where poorly performing employees have been allowed to stay on longer than they perhaps should have, essentially taking advantage of the company's nurturing environment. Noticeable efforts by management are being made to avoid these situations moving forward, however.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employees - company's greatest asset!

Great team, dying agency

ProsGreat work/life balance - it's not unusual for people to stumble in after 10 and leave by 5 every day. Dave is an advertising legend and really cares about his people. Some teams are better than others -- fortunately mine is good.

ConsThis agency seems to be in its death-throws. There's no real leadership or pervasive culture. A lot of the legacy employees (and there are a lot) tend to stifle any energy that bubbles up from junior staff. The office is dirty and outdated. Pay is well below local standards. The creative direction (not that there is any) comes from a dinosaur "consultant" who still thinks it's 1955, yet insists on hijacking anything interactive or social.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what "integrated" really means and staff-up accordingly. There are too many legacy issues -- bring in some new blood.

A long career

Senior Art Director (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsA company with a family feel and generally nice people to work with.

ConsGoing through a transition in the type of clients being pursued, lending to gaps in work flow.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on new business efforts that results in actual, near future revenue streams. Create a new business-multi-person development team accountable for work flow and the bottom line.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Will gain a lot of experience but only on certain teams

Intern (Former Employee)

Pros-I worked with the Account Service and PR teams and depending on what area you work in, you'll gain a lot of experience or you won't gain enough experience.

-Interns are included on everything....including client calls and meetings.

-I was encouraged to give input on projects and meetings.

-Everyone is very friendly and willing to give you constructive criticism.

-They also welcomed any questions you might have because they want you to gain the experience you need for the real world.

-You feel like a part of a team.

-If you're on the shy side, they can bring out the outgoing side of you.

Cons-There were days where I felt I was doing all of HR's dirty work (i.e. copying, filing, etc.) when I should have been doing client work.

-When I worked for the PR department, I wasn't given enough work to do because they had enough people to do it.

-I felt disconnected from upper management PR team because most of my work came from the PR Account Coordinators and half the time they didn't have anything for me to do.

-Because I felt disconnected from upper management from the PR team, I really didn't feel like I was a part of their team.

-Working with the PR team put a bad taste in my mouth.

-VP of PR makes it seem like it's a feel like a hard field to get into, when it's not. All you need to do is be a hard worker, be innovative and have thick skin.

-I gained more knowledge and more experience from working with the Account Service teams because there was so much to do. Now, I'd much rather work in Marketing than PR.

-There were some days where there wasn't enough communication between the team, which delayed certain projects.
         -Let us know at the beginning of the projects, who is doing what, so there's no lack of communication.

-Interns are given the internship based on if you either know someone at the office or if you know someone who works for one of their clients....So it's really hard to get an internship here if you don't know someone.

-Some clients had too many people on the team and some had very little people on the team.

-Some of their creative work looked a little cheap.

Advice to Senior Management-Just because an intern knows someone at the office or a client, doesn't always mean they're going to be hard workers or going to go above and beyond.

-If you want more interns, advertise at colleges in the area. There are plenty of colleges in the Chicago area to choose from.

-Marketing/Advertising/PR is always changing, stay up-to-date with the latest trends that way you won't lose any clients.

-Learn how to think outside the box.

Not your average marketing agency

Chicago, IL

ProsPrivately held. Entrepreneurial environment. Great, hard-working employees. Not just talented individuals, but nice people to be around. Large range of client work.

ConsLike most places.... 20 percent of the employees are doing 80 percent of the work (could be even closer to 90/10). The company is not as nimble as it should be, and has been slow to change with the rapidly changing industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a direction for the company and stick to it. Listen to your quality people and allow them to lead.

Getting to know MSI

Chicago, IL

ProsMSI is a tight-knit business in so many ways. The client work is versatile and so are the employees. The employees are great people.

ConsOnce you work at MSI it's hard to leave. You become part of the team and it's very welcoming.

Smart, Dynamic, Hard Working

Intern (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros-Great group of diverse personalities
    -Owner Dave is Incredibly intelligent and entertaining
    -Higher level employees always willing to teach
    -Project teams (account managers - creative) great dynamic
    -Great Accounts
    -Very Outgoing Employees
    -Think outside the box employees

Cons-Diverse personalities clashed from times to time
    -Office space/ Entire floor could use esthetic updating
    -Could use more young employees
    -Not a ton of room for future growth

Terrible company organization; terrible communication, terrible service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsMy supervisor was one of the hardest working, most honest people I have ever met. That said, MSI took advantage of her honest and sincere concern for her work by pushing ridiculous deadlines, almost no budgets, and by letting their clients run the show.
    Free coffee and breakfast everyday was a plus!
    Friendly people (to your face)

ConsLittle to no communication between departments
    Inter-office drama was a daily
    You could hear gossip about you from your cubicle
    There was a "dont ask permission, ask forgiveness" attitude throughout the company
    CEO, staff, and other departments were talked badly about constantly
    Management doesn't understand how important open communication is
    Worst. Clients. Ever. The clients at MSI are like a spoiled toddler - literally never heard the phrase "no, we cant do that" or "thats not in our contract" or "that's not in our scope of work" in their lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out the goals of the company. Learn to say no when you will LOSE MONEY by taking on work. Communicate with EVERYone, not just those deemed "in the loop". Get rid of the gossip and badmouthing by GETTING RID OF DEADBEATS

Great people

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- great people
    - great privately held marketing/merch org
    - highly regarded clientele
    - competitive pay

Cons- furloughs are a possibility in a tough economy

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within rather than seek outside help. There are some fantastic talents within the company.

An education unto itself

Public Relations Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros-- the equivalent of a business school degree in terms of what you will learn about business/mktg.
    -- the owner is brilliant
    -- staff is genuine -- No prima donnas here
    -- people stay a long time
    -- not territorial; good power and information sharing
    -- client exposure early in career
    -- comfortable and fun place to work

Cons-- Senior staff has been in place for decades -- some more knowledgeable about state of the art than others.
    -- Minimal benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the little people feel valued

Worked for Marketing Support Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marketing Support Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marketing Support Inc. CEO Dave Weiner . All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Marketing Support Inc. employees.