Marketing Support Inc.

Dave Weiner

Learning and Loving It

Current Employee - Interactive Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Interactive Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Support Inc. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

These guys are incredibly flexible on hours and your personal work needs. Everybody is incredibly supportive and wants to see you succeed!

Cons

Sometimes there is not enough work to be done!

Nothing.

It's been an ongoing experience of professional and personal growth in a unique and caring environment.

I have been working at Marketing Support Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generous, smart, fun people
    Genuine concern for clients
    Flexibile, casual, comfortable environment
    Employees respect each others' unique personalities and find a way to work together to produce optimum results.
    Culture is one which supports the "maverick" spirit in its employess and encourages them to take on whatever interests them.

Cons

Company has a strong desire to see the best in its people, often giving them the benefit of the doubt in situations where expectations may have not been met in job performance. This focusing on people's strengths rather than their weaknesses is one of the company's best qualities. Unfortunately, in its eagerness to give employees a second and third chance to improve, there have been cases where poorly performing employees have been allowed to stay on longer than they perhaps should have, essentially taking advantage of the company's nurturing environment. Noticeable efforts by management are being made to avoid these situations moving forward, however.

Keep listening to employees - company's greatest asset!

Great team, dying agency

I have been working at Marketing Support Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance - it's not unusual for people to stumble in after 10 and leave by 5 every day. Dave is an advertising legend and really cares about his people. Some teams are better than others -- fortunately mine is good.

Cons

This agency seems to be in its death-throws. There's no real leadership or pervasive culture. A lot of the legacy employees (and there are a lot) tend to stifle any energy that bubbles up from junior staff. The office is dirty and outdated. Pay is well below local standards. The creative direction (not that there is any) comes from a dinosaur "consultant" who still thinks it's 1955, yet insists on hijacking anything interactive or social.

Learn what "integrated" really means and staff-up accordingly. There are too many legacy issues -- bring in some new blood.

Will gain a lot of experience but only on certain teams

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Marketing Support Inc. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I worked with the Account Service and PR teams and depending on what area you work in, you'll gain a lot of experience or you won't gain enough experience.

-Interns are included on everything....including client calls and meetings.

-I was encouraged to give input on projects and meetings.

-Everyone is very friendly and willing to give you constructive criticism.

-They also welcomed any questions you might have because they want you to gain the experience you need for the real world.

-You feel like a part of a team.

-If you're on the shy side, they can bring out the outgoing side of you.

Cons

-There were days where I felt I was doing all of HR's dirty work (i.e. copying, filing, etc.) when I should have been doing client work.

-When I worked for the PR department, I wasn't given enough work to do because they had enough people to do it.

-I felt disconnected from upper management PR team because most of my work came from the PR Account Coordinators and half the time they didn't have anything for me to do.

-Because I felt disconnected from upper management from the PR team, I really didn't feel like I was a part of their team.

-Working with the PR team put a bad taste in my mouth.

-VP of PR makes it seem like it's a feel like a hard field to get into, when it's not. All you need to do is be a hard worker, be innovative and have thick skin.

-I gained more knowledge and more experience from working with the Account Service teams because there was so much to do. Now, I'd much rather work in Marketing than PR.

-There were some days where there wasn't enough communication between the team, which delayed certain projects.
         -Let us know at the beginning of the projects, who is doing what, so there's no lack of communication.

-Interns are given the internship based on if you either know someone at the office or if you know someone who works for one of their clients....So it's really hard to get an internship here if you don't know someone.

-Some clients had too many people on the team and some had very little people on the team.

-Some of their creative work looked a little cheap.

-Just because an intern knows someone at the office or a client, doesn't always mean they're going to be hard workers or going to go above and beyond.

-If you want more interns, advertise at colleges in the area. There are plenty of colleges in the Chicago area to choose from.

-Marketing/Advertising/PR is always changing, stay up-to-date with the latest trends that way you won't lose any clients.

-Learn how to think outside the box.

A long career

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Support Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A company with a family feel and generally nice people to work with.

Cons

Going through a transition in the type of clients being pursued, lending to gaps in work flow.

Concentrate on new business efforts that results in actual, near future revenue streams. Create a new business-multi-person development team accountable for work flow and the bottom line.

Not your average marketing agency

I have been working at Marketing Support Inc. full-time

Pros

Privately held. Entrepreneurial environment. Great, hard-working employees. Not just talented individuals, but nice people to be around. Large range of client work.

Cons

Like most places.... 20 percent of the employees are doing 80 percent of the work (could be even closer to 90/10). The company is not as nimble as it should be, and has been slow to change with the rapidly changing industry.

Find a direction for the company and stick to it. Listen to your quality people and allow them to lead.

Getting to know MSI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Support Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MSI is a tight-knit business in so many ways. The client work is versatile and so are the employees. The employees are great people.

Cons

Once you work at MSI it's hard to leave. You become part of the team and it's very welcoming.

Terrible company organization; terrible communication, terrible service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Support Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My supervisor was one of the hardest working, most honest people I have ever met. That said, MSI took advantage of her honest and sincere concern for her work by pushing ridiculous deadlines, almost no budgets, and by letting their clients run the show.
    Free coffee and breakfast everyday was a plus!
    Friendly people (to your face)

Cons

Little to no communication between departments
    Inter-office drama was a daily
    You could hear gossip about you from your cubicle
    There was a "dont ask permission, ask forgiveness" attitude throughout the company
    CEO, staff, and other departments were talked badly about constantly
    Management doesn't understand how important open communication is
    Worst. Clients. Ever. The clients at MSI are like a spoiled toddler - literally never heard the phrase "no, we cant do that" or "thats not in our contract" or "that's not in our scope of work" in their lives.

Figure out the goals of the company. Learn to say no when you will LOSE MONEY by taking on work. Communicate with EVERYone, not just those deemed "in the loop". Get rid of the gossip and badmouthing by GETTING RID OF DEADBEATS

Smart, Dynamic, Hard Working

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Support Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great group of diverse personalities
    -Owner Dave is Incredibly intelligent and entertaining
    -Higher level employees always willing to teach
    -Project teams (account managers - creative) great dynamic
    -Great Accounts
    -Very Outgoing Employees
    -Think outside the box employees

Cons

-Diverse personalities clashed from times to time
    -Office space/ Entire floor could use esthetic updating
    -Could use more young employees
    -Not a ton of room for future growth

Great people

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Support Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- great people
    - great privately held marketing/merch org
    - highly regarded clientele
    - competitive pay

Cons

- furloughs are a possibility in a tough economy

Promote from within rather than seek outside help. There are some fantastic talents within the company.