Marketing Werks Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

Jay Lenstrom
1 Rating

Pros
  • You can learn A LOT, but ONLY if you work with the right people (in 5 reviews)

• Great place if you just graduated from college or are looking to get into the marketing industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • its a tough business and sometimes work life balance is hard to achieve (in 5 reviews)

• You have to work your way up to a full-time job position (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to learn a lot as an intern

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is so fun and everyone is really nice. I was surprised to find out that everyone in this office is so young, but it is refreshing to see young, motivated individuals like myself handling their business. This is a great place to intern/work if you just graduated from college or are still in college like I was when I did this internship. The turnover rate from intern to full time employee is really high, so there's opportunity for advancement in that aspect.

You can dress casual every day, so there's no pressure to go out and buy expensive business clothes. I worked with a smaller team on a program for one of the company's major clients, I liked it a lot because it's not the type of internship where you're going on coffee runs and filing paperwork. The work I did was very diverse, so I was never doing the same thing every day. I also loved it because my managers acted more as mentors than bosses; they took the time to explain everything to me and made sure I was comprehending. They also gave me a lot of opportunities to apply what I've been learning, and when I made a mistake they never reprimanded me, but took time to help me work through the problem step by step. They also gave me multiple opportunities to work at additional events happening around the area so I could make some extra money.

They make a very big effort to keep things lively and fun for their employees because working 9-5 everyday can become mundane. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my experience here at MW and I would recommend this job to anyone who is interested in learning about experiential/event marketing.

Cons

-Interns don't get to travel
    -Communication between some of the different client service programs could be stronger

I think you should take your interns with you to at least one major event. My managers gave me the rare opportunity to travel with them to a huge event our client sponsors every year and I learned so much! It made my work easier when I came back to the office because I had a better picture of how things worked on the event site, and everything I was learning just made so much more sense. Being able to go to that event with my managers was definitely one of my biggest takeaways from this entire internship and I learned the most from that experience.

A great place to get your foot in the door after school and a great look at the agency life.

Current Employee - Client Service Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Service Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The company has some really cool and well known clients and the company culture is very social. I've learned a lot as an intern in my first couple months and I really enjoy working with my team. Even though you may be mainly working for one client, as an intern, the company allows you to occasionally help with other team projects so you can get a better idea of what you would like to work on in the future.

Cons

It seems that some important things have been a bit unorganized in terms of the On-boarding (hiring process).

Client service position

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun environment, creative work, great exposure and learning opportunities, great client roster, office culture, time off policy, leadership

Cons

Compensation, politics, communication across programs and departments

Loop in junior staff more ofter

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Future Is Looking Good

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Collaborative teams
    - Great culture and environment
    - Opportunity to build relationships with senior level staff

Cons

- n/a. Great company to work for!

Ok job, if you can make it work for you...

Former Employee - Tour Coordinator  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tour Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with some of the nicest people, if you get them.
    Get to travel the U.S, if you are on tour.

Cons

From what i can tell, the office staff seems somewhat "clique" driven. Camps of people here and there to get promoted. Their promotion system is too segmented.
    Also, their "trial by fire" for interns that worked in the office, they send them on tour out in the field for months at a time. Most of them do not want to do go out on the road, and it makes for low morale, especially when you aren't used to working day in and day out.
    The micromanagement is rampant, as well as the last minute planning, and the blame falls on the field staff, since we are "there".
    Off days, non existent.
    Pay definitely needs to be better, or you will have a revolving door, and high turnover is never a good thing.

Stop micromanaging, communicate in a more orderly format with your subordinates. Last minute procrastination helps no one. We get it, there are a lot of moving parts, but you have more than enough support with planning and execution. Stop hiring college graduates in the field who don't plan on getting a bit dirty.

Great company to get your foot in the door!

Former Employee - Tour Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Marketing Werks consistently has employment opportunities if you consistently do a good job. The pay is on the lower end of the spectrum, but it balances out with long tours and consistent work.

Cons

Internal is cliqué, so just befriend the right people and do your job.

If you want to lower turnover and keep the cream of the crop employees give them a reason to stay. Recognize 5 star employees and promote them based on work merit not length of employment.

Great for 1st or 2nd Years in Marketing

Former Employee - Client Services  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time

Pros

Great place if you just graduated from college or are looking to get into the marketing industry. You work on a various amount of tasks across the board.

Cons

Grow your base layer and then move on to the numerous other marketing outlets in Chicago. The advancement rate and pay is much higher outside this company and it's good to get out and see how other companies work as you try a build a career.

Great Company, Very Low Pay

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful culture, great for anyone just out of school, most everyone is very nice and easy-going, coming to work is fun, you get to keep travel miles and get to book personal hotel and flights (so you can use preferred chains), work can be challenging and fun

Cons

Poor day-to-day management, some teams make it easy to get by without doing a lot of work, feels like a high school clique at times, weekend travel with little to no "reset" time or vacation compensation, lots of travel in general, no real sense of urgency until the last minute, enforcement of policy is lacking, very high turnover rate, bonuses that make you feel worse than not getting one at all.

The upper management is absolutely wonderful and very approachable, however day-to-day management needs more training. Marketing Werks wastes a lot of money and time by not properly training manager. Additionally, the company recently implemented Marketing Werks University, but a lot of the classes are not well structured - they should have more structure, be more professional and be mandatory. Once you become an Account Manager, your opportunities for growth and development within the company taper off unless you get moved to a piece of new business to run yourself - this needs to change to keep people around.

Hard place to be new or experienced.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time

Pros

Good first job out of school. Lots of young people and really focused on the culture. Most of the day to day teams are good people who are great to work with. Office space is really cool and conducive to team work.

Cons

Not good for seasoned employees. You pretty much have to go on the road if you want to work in client service. Tenure means more than anything and there is tons of upper level drama and favoritism. A number of difficult personalities block any attempt at change or doing new things. Not really creating much new or original, just falling back on past ideas.

Move people around teams more/do rotations so people bring new ideas across the company

Good for your resume

Current Employee - Client Services  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is very laid back and fun. Work attire is basically anything you want to wear. Great location in downtown Chicago. Majority of the employees are young.

Cons

The hourly wage for interns is not much, but that could be ok for the interns who are still in school and still getting support from their parents. Pay is barely enough if you are paying for your own rent and other living expenses. Sometimes I feel micro-manged as an intern. You have to work your way up to a full-time job position.

Worked for Marketing Werks? Contribute to the Community!