Marketing Werks

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marketing Werks Co-CEO Scott Moller & Julia Guida

Scott Moller & Julia Guida

Pros
  • You can learn A LOT, but ONLY if you work with the right people(in 5 reviews)

• Great place if you just graduated from college or are looking to get into the marketing industry(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • its a tough business and sometimes work life balance is hard to achieve(in 5 reviews)

• You have to work your way up to a full-time job position(in 7 reviews)

Los Angeles - Marketing Werks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery fun and relax working environment

Consminimal motivation from higher ups, no goals, etc.

Rich history and great people, ownership change and resulting leadership change make for an uncertain future

Pros- There are still great people here
     - Accumulating great tools and new capabilities
     - Enough of the culture remains to positively influence the work
     - Definitely now a player in the big leagues
     - Tons of new business should give great opportunities for advancement
     - Talented new employees coming in at high levels

Cons- High turnover, particularly at key positions by long-time leaders
     - Uncertain identity
     - Demanding schedule
     - Many higher-level positions being created, but given to people outside the company.

Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI created my own schedule.

ConsNot much communication with employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to get your foot in the door after school and a great look at the agency life.

Client Service Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has some really cool and well known clients and the company culture is very social. I've learned a lot as an intern in my first couple months and I really enjoy working with my team. Even though you may be mainly working for one client, as an intern, the company allows you to occasionally help with other team projects so you can get a better idea of what you would like to work on in the future.

ConsIt seems that some important things have been a bit unorganized in terms of the On-boarding (hiring process).

For a young agency, it's not very open minded.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat location in the Loop. That's about it.

Cons-They claim to be a very open minded agency that welcomes everyone. Except if you're gay. Everyone in this agency acts like they're still in College (no matter the level), they are all in their own "clicks" and the homophobic jokes come left and right. After working for years here, no one likes to know that someone is gay. And if they do, there's all sorts of gossip around it. I wouldn't recommend anyone that's openly gay to apply here. During their "Poetry Party", I experienced a lot of "gay jokes" that were straight out inappropriate.
    -If you're not a heavy drinker, you're judged as not being a team player. The upper management plans Days of Fun and parties where everyone's goal is to get completely wasted. And if you don't take part, it's taken against you.
    -Compensation is not even a topic for discussion. You get what you get and if you don't like it there's no room for negotiation; salary rises were a joke after Crossmark acquired them. It was the perfect excuse to tell everyone they have their hands tied by Crossmark. The best thing is to see client budgets where account management is billed at 10 times what someone in the agency really makes.
    -Personal time doesn't exist. You need to be available all day, every day.
    -The "great things" they've implement are: working from home (when your manager thinks it's appropriate) and Summer Fridays. The agency closes at 1, except if you have client meetings, if your team or boss needs you or if there's anything pressing; so don't even think about making plans, something may come up last minute. I would rather have 2 official days off every summer than their so called half days where you still have to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP treating everyone like they're kids. The Company is a high school because it starts that way from the top.
    STOP overworking people. You have a lot of staff that sits on their desks all day on their Facebook pages. While others have to work 15 hour days.
    START being honest about what changes are coming.
    START compensating your employees the way they deserve.

Lackluster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Some managers genuinely seem to care about their direct reports

Cons- Client teams have final say over everything
    - Seniority based on tenure is unfortunately held in very high regard
    - Absolutely ZERO work/life balance. You are expected to be available at all times even if they don't flat out say that you are

The future is bright

ProsThis is an awesome agency that has been gone through a tough transition after being acquired by Crossmark. The good news is that the worst seem to be behind us and we already see improved communication, higher level strategic thinking and opportunity for growth. There are bumps in the road as with any agency but this is a close knit group that cares about one another, works hard and plays harder.

Consits a tough business and sometimes work life balance is hard to achieve.

Client service position

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun environment, creative work, great exposure and learning opportunities, great client roster, office culture, time off policy, leadership

ConsCompensation, politics, communication across programs and departments

Advice to Senior ManagementLoop in junior staff more ofter

The Future Is Looking Good

Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Collaborative teams
    - Great culture and environment
    - Opportunity to build relationships with senior level staff

Cons- n/a. Great company to work for!

Good pay, distant home office

Engagement Manager (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsPay was very good for the position, support when needed, good training, flexible schedule

ConsHome office was too far away, left in no man's land, did not have a sense of belonging to company, no health insurance options at the time

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company, perhaps a little stretched thin.

Worked for Marketing Werks? Contribute to the Community!