Marketing Werks

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.9

Jay Lenstrom

Pros
  • I learned a lot while I was at Marketing Werks (in 4 reviews)

• Great place if you just graduated from college or are looking to get into the marketing industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • its a tough business and sometimes work life balance is hard to achieve (in 5 reviews)

• You have to work your way up to a full-time job position (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn a lot as an intern

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is so fun and everyone is really nice. I was surprised to find out that everyone in this office is so young, but it is refreshing to see young, motivated individuals like myself handling their business. This is a great place to intern/work if you just graduated from college or are still in college like I was when I did this internship. The turnover rate from intern to full time employee is really high, so there's opportunity for advancement in that aspect.

You can dress casual every day, so there's no pressure to go out and buy expensive business clothes. I worked with a smaller team on a program for one of the company's major clients, I liked it a lot because it's not the type of internship where you're going on coffee runs and filing paperwork. The work I did was very diverse, so I was never doing the same thing every day. I also loved it because my managers acted more as mentors than bosses; they took the time to explain everything to me and made sure I was comprehending. They also gave me a lot of opportunities to apply what I've been learning, and when I made a mistake they never reprimanded me, but took time to help me work through the problem step by step. They also gave me multiple opportunities to work at additional events happening around the area so I could make some extra money.

They make a very big effort to keep things lively and fun for their employees because working 9-5 everyday can become mundane. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my experience here at MW and I would recommend this job to anyone who is interested in learning about experiential/event marketing.

Cons

-Interns don't get to travel
    -Communication between some of the different client service programs could be stronger

I think you should take your interns with you to at least one major event. My managers gave me the rare opportunity to travel with them to a huge event our client sponsors every year and I learned so much! It made my work easier when I came back to the office because I had a better picture of how things worked on the event site, and everything I was learning just made so much more sense. Being able to go to that event with my managers was definitely one of my biggest takeaways from this entire internship and I learned the most from that experience.

If you are there, get out now. If you are thinking of going there, dont.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

Creative Freedom.
    Located in downtown Chicago.

Cons

Low pay compared to industry standards
    No senior leadership whatsoever
    Extremely high turn over rate from employees
    Sinking ship

Unless you are in the right group of book club friends, or you for-go any type of personal life (no relationships at all) you'll never succeed here. The place use to be a great agency, with a wide variety of clients. Its going down hill fast as Jay Lenstrom has completely crapped all over himself as a leader. Crossmark changed everything upon their purchase of the company and its just a sad state of affairs there. Continually laying off long standing employees since no new business is coming in (down more than 15% in 2014 alone). Clients are taking notice and leaving as well as the best employees are all leaving on their own due to horrible management or are just being let go because no one knows how the hell to do anything there anymore.

Terrible company!!!!!!! I'm quitting never again will I work in marketing!

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador

I have been working at Marketing Werks

Pros

No pros at all! Terrible experience working with this company!

Cons

I was brought into this company from a co-worker at another job I have. I have not been paid yet for work I did 4 months ago! My point of contact Alice is SO unprofessional and rude!!!! I can't stand this company I'll never work for a marketing agency again now! I'm learning to be a wedding planner never looking back on this awful company

Train your employees better and stop holding onto the BA's pay!!!!!

Invaluable experience, but low salary and morale

Client portfolio
    Travel
    Casual work environment
    Flexibility with working from home

Cons

Salaries low relative to industry standards
    New ownership has led to change in corporate direction
    Corporate culture and morale has declined over the years
    Hires many young inexperienced employees which it can pay low salaries to - Once employees spend a 1-3 years with the company gaining experience, they often take their skills and talent to an agency offering more competitive salaries
    Innovation relative to larger competitors has remained a bit stagnant
    Disconnect between departments leads to under-utilized resources and a lack of cohesiveness between high level management and lower level employees

Retain employees who have built valuable client relationships over the years by focusing efforts on increasing salaries across the board instead of constantly hiring new employees. Over the long term, this strategy will be cost effective by retaining the client base who have been disappointed in constant turnover in recent years.

Los Angeles - Marketing Werks

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

Very fun and relax working environment

Cons

minimal motivation from higher ups, no goals, etc.

Rich history and great people, ownership change and resulting leadership change make for an uncertain future

I have been working at Marketing Werks

Pros

- There are still great people here
     - Accumulating great tools and new capabilities
     - Enough of the culture remains to positively influence the work
     - Definitely now a player in the big leagues
     - Tons of new business should give great opportunities for advancement
     - Talented new employees coming in at high levels

Cons

- High turnover, particularly at key positions by long-time leaders
     - Uncertain identity
     - Demanding schedule
     - Many higher-level positions being created, but given to people outside the company.

Review

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

I created my own schedule.

Cons

Not much communication with employees.

Mediocre At Best

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, fun environment and a nice office location. Potential to work with great people, but definitely depends on your team. Great opportunity to work with big name clients.

Cons

Oddly cliquey and not professional in many ways. Hard work is sometimes noticed, but a lot of the times overlooked. Compensation is terrible. Very behind on anything digital and disorganized.

Ok job but not a career

Current Employee - FiOS Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - FiOS Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay but you work for every penny!

Cons

Employees worked to death while management works part time hours. Hr is a mess! Pay is always wrong and it's a nightmare to get it corrected.

Do some work!

A great place to get your foot in the door after school and a great look at the agency life.

Current Employee - Client Service Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Service Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company has some really cool and well known clients and the company culture is very social. I've learned a lot as an intern in my first couple months and I really enjoy working with my team. Even though you may be mainly working for one client, as an intern, the company allows you to occasionally help with other team projects so you can get a better idea of what you would like to work on in the future.

Cons

It seems that some important things have been a bit unorganized in terms of the On-boarding (hiring process).

Marketing Werks Photos