Marketing Werks

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.6

Jay Lenstrom

Pros
  • I learned a lot while I was at Marketing Werks (in 4 reviews)

• Great place if you just graduated from college or are looking to get into the marketing industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • its a tough business and sometimes work life balance is hard to achieve (in 5 reviews)

• You have to work your way up to a full-time job position (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

great way to get trained & proper experience.

Former Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

competitive pay, proper training. Everyone is on the same page to get the task at hand accomplished. Real team spirit.

Cons

field work is fun & engagement, but office environment is young & clicky.

Promote from within.

Looks great from the outside, not so much on the inside.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pretty social company. There is a company party in the summer, members of the company get together in sport leagues around the city, and whenever there is a huge sporting event (i.e. World Cup) there is an office party to cheer on U.S.A.

They are one of the very few companies that I have come across that pays interns.

Cons

Communication breakdown throughout. Makes promises but can't keep them. Doesn't acknowledge hard work and dedication. A revolving door company - a lot of people with whom I knew and worked with are no longer there.

As an intern I was looking to work my way up internally and eventually become an Account Coordinator much like my direct supervisors. I Was told by many that the company usually hires people that have gone on the road first to ensure that Account Coordinators would have an understanding of what Tour Managers/Coordinators deal with. I went on tour because HR had neglected to communicate to myself and my team that I could not extend my internship due to the internship program changes made by upper management. This occurred a week before my internship was suppose to be completed, I also had no Idea of my internship end date until a couple weeks prior. I went on the road, had a successful tour, and that was that. No invite to return, no follow up about future openings, nothing.

Poor management, not a great place to work your way up, and below average compensation.

I've had great experiences working at this company overall.

Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks

Pros

They offer opportunities for leadership within the field. It has allowed me to grow tremendously and become superior at multi-tasking and problem solving.

Cons

It is tough to climb the ladder. Everything is about timing and you have to proactively seek work with the company or they will not call you. I'm told they pay less than other competitors, however I do not know this for certain.

Keep your great field managers close. Other than that keep up the great work!

Good for temporary quick cash but you are just a machine to them.

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

Decent pay but that's about it.

Cons

They assign you a temporary on site manager that is very rude and acts like he is better than you. The onsite manager I hd did nothing but eat candy and play with his phone while periodically tells you to do labor the faster.

Beneficial experience for a beginner, but not the best timing to start a career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks (less than a year)

Pros

- Great location, office amenities and technology
    - Potential for large responsibilities
    - Young and "social" atmosphere
    - Comfortable, relaxed work environment
    - "Work From Home" benefit
    - Fantastic company to learn the basics of agency life

Cons

- The Crossmark-Marketing Werks merge has caused a lot of setbacks; it's evident that there are a lot of individuals at Crossmark in charge of the transition that are taking over without considering how it affects Marketing Werks itself. LOTS of changes still to come in this transition.
    - Major budget cuts have eliminated a large amount of positions
    - Unorganized
    - Not much motivation
    - No sense of urgency
    - Complete lack of communication
    - High turnover

At the very least, it is essential that communication be improved between all levels of leadership.

Repetition Ruined a Company With Great Potential

Former Employee - Client Service in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks (more than a year)

Pros

Great location in the city
    Independence working on your own tour

Cons

Marketing Werks started as a creative national touring company in 1987 when the idea of experiential marketing and giant trucks driving to cities was fresh and new. However, Marketing Werks never moved past that and continued for the next 25 years to produce the same type of tour over and over again.
    The stale creative that gets pitched over and over again has driven new clients away and killed current contracts. If this was 2013, I would talk to you about the great company culture and how a talented team still makes a driving tour work. However, the purchase by Crossmark has gutted most of management and everyone with experience is quickly leaving.

This is not a company you want to get invested in long term. If you are fresh out of college and need something marketing related on your resume then I don't blame you for considering a job application here. However, they also canceled their internship program so I don't foresee many opportunities for fresh faces to get into the company as well.

You're losing clients and talented employees because you are trying to apply 1990s tactics to 2015 situations. Innovate or die is not just a fun thing that is said in magazines and this change needs to start with the growth/new business team first. Until you get out the past , you are going to keep hemorrhaging.

If you are there, get out now. If you are thinking of going there, dont.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

Creative Freedom.
    Located in downtown Chicago.

Cons

Low pay compared to industry standards
    No senior leadership whatsoever
    Extremely high turn over rate from employees
    Sinking ship

Unless you are in the right group of book club friends, or you for-go any type of personal life (no relationships at all) you'll never succeed here. The place use to be a great agency, with a wide variety of clients. Its going down hill fast as Jay Lenstrom has completely crapped all over himself as a leader. Crossmark changed everything upon their purchase of the company and its just a sad state of affairs there. Continually laying off long standing employees since no new business is coming in (down more than 15% in 2014 alone). Clients are taking notice and leaving as well as the best employees are all leaving on their own due to horrible management or are just being let go because no one knows how the hell to do anything there anymore.

Terrible company!!!!!!! I'm quitting never again will I work in marketing!

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador

I have been working at Marketing Werks

Pros

No pros at all! Terrible experience working with this company!

Cons

I was brought into this company from a co-worker at another job I have. I have not been paid yet for work I did 4 months ago! My point of contact Alice is SO unprofessional and rude!!!! I can't stand this company I'll never work for a marketing agency again now! I'm learning to be a wedding planner never looking back on this awful company

Train your employees better and stop holding onto the BA's pay!!!!!

Invaluable experience, but low salary and morale

Client portfolio
    Travel
    Casual work environment
    Flexibility with working from home

Cons

Salaries low relative to industry standards
    New ownership has led to change in corporate direction
    Corporate culture and morale has declined over the years
    Hires many young inexperienced employees which it can pay low salaries to - Once employees spend a 1-3 years with the company gaining experience, they often take their skills and talent to an agency offering more competitive salaries
    Innovation relative to larger competitors has remained a bit stagnant
    Disconnect between departments leads to under-utilized resources and a lack of cohesiveness between high level management and lower level employees

Retain employees who have built valuable client relationships over the years by focusing efforts on increasing salaries across the board instead of constantly hiring new employees. Over the long term, this strategy will be cost effective by retaining the client base who have been disappointed in constant turnover in recent years.

Great place to learn a lot as an intern

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is so fun and everyone is really nice. I was surprised to find out that everyone in this office is so young, but it is refreshing to see young, motivated individuals like myself handling their business. This is a great place to intern/work if you just graduated from college or are still in college like I was when I did this internship. The turnover rate from intern to full time employee is really high, so there's opportunity for advancement in that aspect.

You can dress casual every day, so there's no pressure to go out and buy expensive business clothes. I worked with a smaller team on a program for one of the company's major clients, I liked it a lot because it's not the type of internship where you're going on coffee runs and filing paperwork. The work I did was very diverse, so I was never doing the same thing every day. I also loved it because my managers acted more as mentors than bosses; they took the time to explain everything to me and made sure I was comprehending. They also gave me a lot of opportunities to apply what I've been learning, and when I made a mistake they never reprimanded me, but took time to help me work through the problem step by step. They also gave me multiple opportunities to work at additional events happening around the area so I could make some extra money.

They make a very big effort to keep things lively and fun for their employees because working 9-5 everyday can become mundane. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my experience here at MW and I would recommend this job to anyone who is interested in learning about experiential/event marketing.

Cons

-Interns don't get to travel
    -Communication between some of the different client service programs could be stronger

I think you should take your interns with you to at least one major event. My managers gave me the rare opportunity to travel with them to a huge event our client sponsors every year and I learned so much! It made my work easier when I came back to the office because I had a better picture of how things worked on the event site, and everything I was learning just made so much more sense. Being able to go to that event with my managers was definitely one of my biggest takeaways from this entire internship and I learned the most from that experience.

Marketing Werks Photos