Marketing Werks

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.6

Jay Lenstrom

Pros
  • I learned a lot while I was at Marketing Werks (in 4 reviews)

• Great place if you just graduated from college or are looking to get into the marketing industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • its a tough business and sometimes work life balance is hard to achieve (in 5 reviews)

• You have to work your way up to a full-time job position (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

great way to get trained & proper experience.

Former Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

competitive pay, proper training. Everyone is on the same page to get the task at hand accomplished. Real team spirit.

Cons

field work is fun & engagement, but office environment is young & clicky.

Promote from within.

The future is bright

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an awesome agency that has been gone through a tough transition after being acquired by Crossmark. The good news is that the worst seem to be behind us and we already see improved communication, higher level strategic thinking and opportunity for growth. There are bumps in the road as with any agency but this is a close knit group that cares about one another, works hard and plays harder.

Cons

its a tough business and sometimes work life balance is hard to achieve.

Client service position

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment, creative work, great exposure and learning opportunities, great client roster, office culture, time off policy, leadership

Cons

Compensation, politics, communication across programs and departments

Loop in junior staff more ofter

The corporate culture is very laid-back yet very professional. Working at Marketing Werks was a great experience!

Former Intern - Intern in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Marketing Werks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Extremely friendly office
    -Had contact with higher-ups
    -A learning environment that's fun
    -Professional employees
    -Corporate culture allows creativity with colorful walls, casual dress, office activities and more
    -Helps that the work done with the clients is fun also

Cons

-Jersey City office was a bit far of a commute (but they are moving to NYC soon!)

Rewarding Work Experience and Fun Culture

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time

Pros

Given a lot of responsibility
    Creative environment with the ability to work on exciting programs and clients
    Fun and engaging atmosphere

Cons

Salary low early on but then evens out
    Work life balance could be better - flexible work hours

I've had great experiences working at this company overall.

Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks

Pros

They offer opportunities for leadership within the field. It has allowed me to grow tremendously and become superior at multi-tasking and problem solving.

Cons

It is tough to climb the ladder. Everything is about timing and you have to proactively seek work with the company or they will not call you. I'm told they pay less than other competitors, however I do not know this for certain.

Keep your great field managers close. Other than that keep up the great work!

Great place to learn a lot as an intern

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is so fun and everyone is really nice. I was surprised to find out that everyone in this office is so young, but it is refreshing to see young, motivated individuals like myself handling their business. This is a great place to intern/work if you just graduated from college or are still in college like I was when I did this internship. The turnover rate from intern to full time employee is really high, so there's opportunity for advancement in that aspect.

You can dress casual every day, so there's no pressure to go out and buy expensive business clothes. I worked with a smaller team on a program for one of the company's major clients, I liked it a lot because it's not the type of internship where you're going on coffee runs and filing paperwork. The work I did was very diverse, so I was never doing the same thing every day. I also loved it because my managers acted more as mentors than bosses; they took the time to explain everything to me and made sure I was comprehending. They also gave me a lot of opportunities to apply what I've been learning, and when I made a mistake they never reprimanded me, but took time to help me work through the problem step by step. They also gave me multiple opportunities to work at additional events happening around the area so I could make some extra money.

They make a very big effort to keep things lively and fun for their employees because working 9-5 everyday can become mundane. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my experience here at MW and I would recommend this job to anyone who is interested in learning about experiential/event marketing.

Cons

-Interns don't get to travel
    -Communication between some of the different client service programs could be stronger

I think you should take your interns with you to at least one major event. My managers gave me the rare opportunity to travel with them to a huge event our client sponsors every year and I learned so much! It made my work easier when I came back to the office because I had a better picture of how things worked on the event site, and everything I was learning just made so much more sense. Being able to go to that event with my managers was definitely one of my biggest takeaways from this entire internship and I learned the most from that experience.

Los Angeles - Marketing Werks

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

Very fun and relax working environment

Cons

minimal motivation from higher ups, no goals, etc.

A great place to get your foot in the door after school and a great look at the agency life.

Current Intern - Client Service Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Client Service Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company has some really cool and well known clients and the company culture is very social. I've learned a lot as an intern in my first couple months and I really enjoy working with my team. Even though you may be mainly working for one client, as an intern, the company allows you to occasionally help with other team projects so you can get a better idea of what you would like to work on in the future.

Cons

It seems that some important things have been a bit unorganized in terms of the On-boarding (hiring process).

The Future Is Looking Good

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Collaborative teams
    - Great culture and environment
    - Opportunity to build relationships with senior level staff

Cons

- n/a. Great company to work for!

Marketing Werks Photos