Marketing Werks Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Jay Lenstrom

Pros
  • This is a great place to intern/work if you just graduated from college or are still in college like I was when I did this internship (in 6 reviews)

• get to travel the US, young work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely ZERO work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• You have to work your way up to a full-time job position (in 7 reviews)

Downfall of Marketing Werks & Not a Good Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Marketing Werks used to be a private company that built itself up from nothing and had great leadership in the past.

Cons

There should be a book written on Marketing Werks. In just under 2 years the company was bought by Crossmark Co out of Texas. Crossmark ruined the culture and the ability for MW to serve its clients. They brought in leaders at MW that had no vision or ability to lead the company into the future of event marketing. They have laid off hundreds of people and all but lost every client. The current leadership team has not solid a single dollar in new business revenue. The company has no future and the current leadership team have no solution on ways to improve their financial standing. It's too bad, MW used to be an awesome place to work....two years ago. If you want to go to a company with horrible leadership, no stability and no strategic vision Marketing Werks is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Sell some new accounts and stop saying that the layoffs are done.

2. Private ownership had the goal to sell all along.

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time

Pros

Creative, slow-paced environment for IT specialists, the opportunity to study and practice techniques and teach oneself new things existed. Video editing software, for example, I learned on the job. Also, my co-worker was able to study for his ACMT certification.

Cons

Fearful management and directors were afraid to push the envelope, write on the walls, and break down cubicle walls in order to become a part of the workplace of the new millennia. A creative marketing firm it was; it had work in video editing and graphics editing as well as promotional events at musical concerts and festivals, sporting events, and conventions as well as road tours across the United States from venue to venue. Their business model was to hire new graduates and pay them intern, hourly wages or a base of 35k and squeeze as much work out of them as possible. The firm offered a bonus of $100 dollars at the end of the year while ownership built a multi-million dollar home in California.

My IT Director never showed us, his team, an operating IT budget. Education for staff was not mandatory nor was a budget item presented. The operational director was too lazy to do work and not the best mentor.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people while you continue to outsource. Encourage your people to learn things in order to fill missing gaps. Once your people have grown up to speed, renegotiate with your outsourced vendors and empower your staff in order to give them an opportunity to grow. Moreover, tear down the cubicle walls and put up more expo dry-erase walls for creative writing.

Used to be a great place to work

I have been working at Marketing Werks (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, Experience and Self Management

Cons

Salary, Room for Growth, Culture is gone

Good learning experience, not a long term solution

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

I have been working at Marketing Werks

Pros

Great people, lots of travel, summer fridays, unlimited WFH

Cons

Limited client roster, losing business, under market compensation

Advice to Management

Value your best employees instead of letting them all leave to competitor agencies

Will the last one out please turn off the lights?

Former Employee - Client Service
    Former Employee - Client Service

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time

Pros

Good roster of clients
    Great location

Cons

Massive loss of talent since acquisition
    Unfavorable match with corporate ownership
    Directionless leadership
    Untrustworthy corporate management
    Unfriendly to work/life balance needs
    Low pay compared to industry, particularly in lower positions
    Dismantled culture
    Uncertain future

Advice to Management

What was once a flourishing independent company has been nearly completely drained by the company's new corporate overlords, Crossmark. While Marketing Werks certainly had it's warts prior to the acquisition, this is now an entirely different company and should not be compared to the pre-acquisition organization of the same name.

At the time of the acquisition Crossmark made promises that they were not going to fundamentally change the company nor would they be looking to make significant personnel changes. Now, within 18 months of that speech nearly everyone who was responsible for MW's explosive growth in the mid 2000's through early 2010s is gone. A few very solid people remain, but most have either been forced out, laid off, or just saw the writing on the wall and left on their own. The result has been such a failure that those most responsible for the disastrous changes have been let go as well. This leaves MW with a very uncertain future. I would proceed with caution as a potential employee or client.

As you're reading reviews be sure to note if the reviewer is a Brand Ambassador, Tour Manager, or other position outside of the HQ. All respect to those valuable positions, but the view is very different from there. Also, note the date of the review. If it's prior to late 2013 it's talking about a different company with completely different leadership.

What's been a complete dismantling of Marketing Werks has been a boon for agencies all over Chicago as the very best talent has fled that sinking ship. There are several very solid people still there, though I'd be shocked if they're not looking for the door. If you're hiring it's a great place to scoop up some talent.

I genuinely expect that within 3-5 years Marketing Werks will either cease to exist entirely or will be absorbed completely and re-branded after losing 50%-75% of it's annual revenue.

It's been a great ride, but the party's over. Someone hit the lights.

7. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

They pay on time
    They pay good $
    The events are fun to work

Cons

I actually cannot think of any cons for Marketing Werks

Advice to Management

All of the managers I worked with in the past were great to work with.

8. great way to get trained & proper experience.

Former Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

competitive pay, proper training. Everyone is on the same page to get the task at hand accomplished. Real team spirit.

Cons

field work is fun & engagement, but office environment is young & clicky.

Advice to Management

Promote from within.

9. I've had great experiences working at this company overall.

Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketing Werks

Pros

They offer opportunities for leadership within the field. It has allowed me to grow tremendously and become superior at multi-tasking and problem solving.

Cons

It is tough to climb the ladder. Everything is about timing and you have to proactively seek work with the company or they will not call you. I'm told they pay less than other competitors, however I do not know this for certain.

Advice to Management

Keep your great field managers close. Other than that keep up the great work!

10. Good for temporary quick cash but you are just a machine to them.

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marketing Werks

Pros

Decent pay but that's about it.

Cons

They assign you a temporary on site manager that is very rude and acts like he is better than you. The onsite manager I hd did nothing but eat candy and play with his phone while periodically tells you to do labor the faster.

Beneficial experience for a beginner, but not the best timing to start a career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great location, office amenities and technology
    - Potential for large responsibilities
    - Young and "social" atmosphere
    - Comfortable, relaxed work environment
    - "Work From Home" benefit
    - Fantastic company to learn the basics of agency life

Cons

- The Crossmark-Marketing Werks merge has caused a lot of setbacks; it's evident that there are a lot of individuals at Crossmark in charge of the transition that are taking over without considering how it affects Marketing Werks itself. LOTS of changes still to come in this transition.
    - Major budget cuts have eliminated a large amount of positions
    - Unorganized
    - Not much motivation
    - No sense of urgency
    - Complete lack of communication
    - High turnover

Advice to Management

At the very least, it is essential that communication be improved between all levels of leadership.

RSS Feed </> Embed