Marketo

Marketo Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Marketo President & CEO Phil Fernandez

Phil Fernandez

Pros
  • Fast-paced business - you won't get bored(in 5 reviews)

• Everyone I work with is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about marketing automation and how it can help marketers(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I would not recommend it because: work/life balance, C-level views their structure with blinders on (the system feeds you leads that you then close(in 5 reviews)

• No work/life balance, mostly work(in 4 reviews)

Sales Development Representative

ProsGreat atmosphere, surrounded by people who want to be at work, willing to go the extra mile to help you on a bad day

ConsI have to commute to the penninsula

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, great job with motivation and setting high goals

Terrible Culture in Sales

Sales (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsMade good money with the IPO and ESPP. Company does a great job of hiring straight out of school young people and teaching them sales, marketing etc...

ConsIt's a Young Turk Culture (male dominated) especially in sales. If you are young, male, an ex-jock, you are likely to be accepted - otherwise you will have to put up with a snarky, internally competitive, loud work environment and will be treated with very little acceptance or respect.

Each department has it's own sub-culture but the senior management style penetrates them all. Sales quote's are extremely high which of course causes lots of pressure - as in any sales role, however management is indifferent and extremely clique-y.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not sure much can be done.

I would not recommend working here

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsInitial compensation was very competitive, there were some very good people on my team.

ConsPoor, over-reactive management, performance is tied too strongly to arcane metrics, very difficult to get a raise, and virtually impossible to advance in position or into another department. Marketing people, by and large, are awful as customers. Some employees will "backstab" to advance themselves or their agenda, which is a shame, as there are some really great, quality people that work there also.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consideration should be shown to all employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Innovative, Exciting and Competitive

Sales (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsMarketo is one of the hottest software companies and has the chops to back up it's success. True leader in the space of Marketing Automation. Company has a great positive vibe and there is a real sense of growth within Marketo. Marketo is always innovating in the Marketing Automation space and it is exciting to be around.

ConsMarketo is competitive especially in sales. The company has big aspirations. Nobody is sitting on their hands at Marketo.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and innovating!

Fast paced environment with lots of good challenges

Staffing Consultant (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsMarketo is growing like wildfire which gives employees great career growth options.

ConsOpen office environment. Can be distracting at times. Communication from management is spotty

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter downward communication making employees more involved

Visionary marketing software company with big aspirations

ProsMany companies I've worked at, some of which include the most successful tech companies in the world, ultimately take a short-term view to business decisions even if they say otherwise and lack visionary leadership.

That's not the case with Marketo. The founders are bold marketing geniuses and are focused on building best-in-class, integrated marketing software for marketers rather than trying to chase a bunch of other opportunities or do things for short-term revenue.

ConsNeed better community software internally (Intranet). Chatter is ok for what it does but additional tools would be great.

Need to cut down unnecessary meetings and get to decisions faster and over email.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions faster and with fewer meetings.

its aite

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- fast paced environment
    - learning experience

Cons- loud office space
    - clicky teams

Great Experience

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat work environment. Super supportive team and mentors enabled me to work to the best of my ability. Furthermore, interns felt like they were part of the team.

ConsThere really were not that many cons. Perhaps one small suggestion would be to implement a larger intern program.

Culture is perfect for anyone under 29 and/or unmarried with no kids. Sales review.

Sales (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsIf you are getting started in sales, this would be good. They built a lot of structure, they want a process followed and they will give you a one day training once a quarter (which in my sales experience is a big investment compared to the other firms where I worked). The managers are under a tremendous amount of pressure and watching how each deals with the intensity is a lesson. Your work colleagues tend to be a combination of bright or aggressive. For the most part, you get to see how they "make the hot dogs" from marketing to sales. This isn't Oracle but if you want a regimented way to learn a SaaS technology, you could do worse.

ConsIf you were my friend and work in sales, I would not recommend it to you. I would not recommend it because: work/life balance, C-level views their structure with blinders on (the system feeds you leads that you then close. but what if the system doesn't feed enough leads?) and the original people from the start up days continue to get promoted. They have tried to erase the fraternity feel of the place by hiring more women but waiting (together) for the last 12k deal to close at 8:30PM at the end of each month is stupid and feels like a waste of time. Another piece of context is that they are always looking to get cheaper. If you come with some experience and you are used to making a salary of at least 70k, you will have a very short leash. Finally, check out how often senior management sell their shares.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to get yours, management. Everytime you cash out another chunk of shares, I laugh because of how little you value your "baby".

Growing Fast

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

Pros- Great Opportunities to learn. Great resume builder.
     - Equity value is good
     - Location is good for large % of Bay Area

Cons- Pace can be overwhelming
     - There is some 'Ready, Fire, Aim' in the culture
     - Meanness isn't discouraged as much as it should be.
     - Your development will be your own responsibility

Advice to Senior Management- Increase hiring to manage workload/growth/turnover
    - Public shaming isn't a good leadership technique. Keep constructive feedback, or opinions about people performance private.

Worked for Marketo? Contribute to the Community!