Marketo

Marketo Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Marketo President & CEO Phil Fernandez

Phil Fernandez

Visionary marketing software company with big aspirations

I have been working at Marketo full-time for more than a year

ProsMany companies I've worked at, some of which include the most successful tech companies in the world, ultimately take a short-term view to business decisions even if they say otherwise and lack visionary leadership.

That's not the case with Marketo. The founders are bold marketing geniuses and are focused on building best-in-class, integrated marketing software for marketers rather than trying to chase a bunch of other opportunities or do things for short-term revenue.

ConsNeed better community software internally (Intranet). Chatter is ok for what it does but additional tools would be great.

Need to cut down unnecessary meetings and get to decisions faster and over email.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions faster and with fewer meetings.

its aite

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marketo

Pros- fast paced environment
- learning experience

Cons- loud office space
- clicky teams

Growing Fast

I have been working at Marketo full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great Opportunities to learn. Great resume builder.
 - Equity value is good
 - Location is good for large % of Bay Area

Cons- Pace can be overwhelming
 - There is some 'Ready, Fire, Aim' in the culture
 - Meanness isn't discouraged as much as it should be.
 - Your development will be your own responsibility

Advice to Senior Management- Increase hiring to manage workload/growth/turnover
- Public shaming isn't a good leadership technique. Keep constructive feedback, or opinions about people performance private.

Culture is perfect for anyone under 29 and/or unmarried with no kids. Sales review.

Sales (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are getting started in sales, this would be good. They built a lot of structure, they want a process followed and they will give you a one day training once a quarter (which in my sales experience is a big investment compared to the other firms where I worked). The managers are under a tremendous amount of pressure and watching how each deals with the intensity is a lesson. Your work colleagues tend to be a combination of bright or aggressive. For the most part, you get to see how they "make the hot dogs" from marketing to sales. This isn't Oracle but if you want a regimented way to learn a SaaS technology, you could do worse.

ConsIf you were my friend and work in sales, I would not recommend it to you. I would not recommend it because: work/life balance, C-level views their structure with blinders on (the system feeds you leads that you then close. but what if the system doesn't feed enough leads?) and the original people from the start up days continue to get promoted. They have tried to erase the fraternity feel of the place by hiring more women but waiting (together) for the last 12k deal to close at 8:30PM at the end of each month is stupid and feels like a waste of time. Another piece of context is that they are always looking to get cheaper. If you come with some experience and you are used to making a salary of at least 70k, you will have a very short leash. Finally, check out how often senior management sell their shares.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to get yours, management. Everytime you cash out another chunk of shares, I laugh because of how little you value your "baby".

Good but not great

I have been working at Marketo full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to learn, never a dull moment in this fast paced environment, work with smart and motivated people, very ambitious company creating a new software category, decent salaries, company makes an effort to improve benefits and supports volunteering and charity donations

ConsLot's of pressure for immediate performance, not a lot of longer term thinking or scaling, politics between managers can get in the way of results, stressful and loud office environment, average facilities, not a strong company culture, engineering does not get much attention or visibility

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in engineering and product, recognize achievement at all levels by promoting from within more than just hiring externally, realize that the tactics which made the company successful from early years to IPO may not work to grow a public company at a rate that will satisfy wall street

Great Experience

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment. Super supportive team and mentors enabled me to work to the best of my ability. Furthermore, interns felt like they were part of the team.

ConsThere really were not that many cons. Perhaps one small suggestion would be to implement a larger intern program.

Not a good place to work

I have been working at Marketo full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only pros I see is a stand up and great sales department, minus the global head of sales.

ConsLot of gossip and inapproiate behaviour, managers sharing personal details about employees and creating a hostel work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire seasoned managers, get an SVP or head of HR, and take a look at the senior mangers that are really junior players, and not very good ones at that. You should have sold to SFDC when you had the chance, bad move on the founders and BOD.

Great Company, Great Product, Great Team and most importantly Great People!

One of the Customer Facing Teams (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marketo full-time for less than a year

ProsThis is the best company I have ever worked for and I am proud to be working with a lot of super dedicated, hardworking and intelligent people. Not only that, I think they are really good people too outside of work.

Please bear in mind that I am only making this review for my team and a few other teams that I interact with on a daily basis.

There is no ego that I am aware of. This is not to say people don't have opinions which can be mistakenly taken as ego. I think the reason is that our CEO is a very humble guy and he probably only hires people who are similar. He is not like that pompous Marc Benioff going around telling people how awesome he is. He wears a Stanford T-shirt and jeans to work.

I believe this company has a long way to go and many more good things to come!

ConsThis is not really a con but if you can't work long hours, this is not the place for you! You need to think long term that your dedication is worth it in the long run.

Also, although I think the product is great, I wouldn't call it super easy to use (personal opinion). Marketers in most cases are not very technical. If someone else comes up with something easier to use even if it is not as powerful, then it might be a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really. Maybe if you stay past 7 pm for work only, you can get your dinner reimbursed up to say $15 or something. I understand that this is not Google, LinkedIn or Facebook but that would be nice. If it doesn't happen, no worries!

Very toxic and unhealthy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marketo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood product. Very talented and hard working non-management people. Successful company.

ConsNo work/life balance. Most on the management level have no prior management experience with very poor people's skills. Very few true leaders. Very fast front revolving door. Very easy to turn "postal" here. Workload across all departments is back breaking and it is non-stop. On most days the only breaks are bathroom breaks. Working thru the lunch hour happens quite often. Very little recognition. Low salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile bending backward for your "money paying" customers, remember that you're company is nothing without it's work force. Marketo would had been numerous times bigger today at the rate they are/were hiring had it not been because of it's fast revolving front door.

Micro Managing with horrible culture.

San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time

ProsMany really smart & hard working nice employees, below management level.

ConsEven more unethical people who only care about getting ahead and don't care about who they step on to get there. Too much micro-managing, wastes everyone's time and doesn't help get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and consider their feedback.

Worked for Marketo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marketo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marketo CEO Phil Fernandez. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Marketo employees.