Marketo

Updated December 21, 2014
3.8

Marketo President & CEO Phil Fernandez
Phil Fernandez

Pros
  • The company is growing quickly and has been killing it (in 5 reviews)

• Learn something new everyday, and extremely fast paced so you're never bored or unchallenged (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I would not recommend it because: work/life balance, C-level views their structure with blinders on (the system feeds you leads that you then close (in 6 reviews)

• No work/life balance, mostly work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

High Energy, Fast Paced, Great Team

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Overall:
    - Great Leadership
    - Great Coworkers/Team (Sales)
    - Innovative
    - Hard Working Environment
    - Takes Care of Employees (Compensation)
    - Appreciate Creativity and Reward The Extra Effort

I'll say this.... I think its pretty special when Monday's roll around and I absolutely do not mind going into work. The first day I walked into work at Marketo I thought that it was a place I could be working at for awhile... that hasn't changed now that I'm a few months into the job. Things move pretty fast, but the team is unbelievable and not one person on the sales floor will ignore a question you have and they love to help each other out. The sales team is relatively young but hold themselves as veterans and are a pleasure to work with.

Marketo also allows you to continue growing in your career and continue learning. I'm big on this and think a company that wants to keep its employees must do it and Marketo does a great job. Almost every sales person on the team has progressed by growing within the company and they allow you to take company paid classes in order to continue learning as well.

Lastly, Marketo is a market leader and continues to innovate. It's great to work for a company that has its customers in mind, and is thinking about how to improve... It's great to work for a company where the product is so good it can sell itself and there's no smokescreen.

Cons

I don't really think there are many cons in my book in the sales department. I love the sales culture, and the product is great.

Keep innovating!

Marketo Rocks!

Current Employee - Not In Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Not In Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Our CEO, Phil Fernandez, leads effectively
    -Very strong, positive executive team that cares about employees
    -Collaborative and collegial atmosphere
    -Fast paced but manageable
    -A lot of room for innovation, challenge (if you like challenges), and advancement
    -Plenty of employee development opportunities
    -Great perks like subsidized gym memberships (higher subsidy than most companies)
    -Results-oriented employees do very well at Marketo
    -Salaries are commensurate, Marketo strives to hire the best

I have been at Marketo for a year and I have not found the culture to be harsh or ruthless as others have stated. The pace is somewhat predictable in this market space with high volume at month-end, quarter-end, and year-end. Never a dull moment as the company continues to grow and hire.

Cons

I wish we had "free time" as opposed to accrued vacation time, though vacation time is generous and it can be borrowed.

Keep up the great work and continue to communicate and reward employees.

Culture is stagnant, toxic, and management uses scare tactics.

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Marketo

Pros

New equipment, nice offices, not so much micro-management.

Cons

Management is made up of folks who clearly have no business being that high up. Hard work is only rewarded with more work, while those who slack manage to make out the best. As tech support, I've seen call centers and startups both work with more sense and efficiency. Be prepared to go on anti-anxiety meds as the management enjoys using scare and stress tactics. Overall poor experience. Also beware that, from a tech support background, being Marketo certified is not very marketable.

You are not better than your employees. Without them, you would have never made it this far. Take time to truly appreciate the person behind the work. Learn to let some things go, and learn to provide the proper education upon hiring. Beware of using scare tactics, as once this spreads, hiring folks will become almost impossible. Treat your team with respect and understand that your way of managing needs to be abandoned. Learn to lead. Learn to care about your team and their needs above your own. When your team has to go above you multiple times to complain that you are bad at what you do, then perhaps you should open your eyes before you lose everything. I've had some bad bosses before, but as far as morale level goes, lowest I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

What goes up must go down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marketo is a known brand which has it's advantages.

Cons

Changes.... This was a good company with decent opportunities. We had a good team, management, etc. After the IPO, many key people started leaving the and changes continue. Unfortunately, the new management hires have been awful and I've seen this in several teams. What was once a fun place to work turned into a daily grind.

Listen to your team when you are looking to hire VP's, Directors, and Managers. You asked for our opinions and you did what we all recommended against. Now the team and culture are crumbling.

Good experience

I worked at Marketo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Open culture and flexible working hours and friendly working atmosphere

Cons

not busy hectic work style

have a clear plan and schedule layout for the interns before they start

good

I worked at Marketo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

cool people, strong leadership, future looks good

Cons

sometimes the managers tend to micromanage

keep it going

Meh

I worked at Marketo as a contractor

Pros

The company is growing quickly and has been killing it. Always something to do and keeps you busy.

Cons

"Room for growth" isn't reality. They will bring in external folks with less experience to fill a position that you would be more than qualified for, making it difficult to grow. Lots of promises with no action. HR department is a bit of a joke and unprofessional

Hire and mentor "leaders" who are willing to help their subordinates grow. Good managers help grow folks who will one day take their position.

Proud to be a part of this team

I have been working at Marketo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work under Finance and have been brought on to help build infrastructure as the company grows and matures. I feel very fortunate because I love my job and work for a great manager and a great department. In my role, I interact with all levels of employees across all departments. Often, I have to communicate, educate and train on new processes or systems; for the most part, colleagues here are respectful, want to learn the new process and do the right thing. There are a few people who don’t like change or don’t want to follow a new process, but those types exist in every company – nothing unique to Marketo.
    Marketo’s corporate culture and philosophy resonates with me personally. It is a very “employee-oriented” company and that focus comes directly from our CEO. There are a lot of intelligent and talented people who work here and I am proud to be a part of this team. I have worked in the Valley for many years with different tech companies and I can honestly say that Marketo is a great place to work. On top of all that, I believe in the products and the company – how awesome is that?

Cons

Keeping up with the fast-paced environment and growth – but that’s actually a good thing. The open-floor plan takes getting use to and may not be for everyone.

Keep your “small company” spirit as long as you can. Also, keep listening to your employees … if you take care of them, they will most definitely take care of you!

A leading company, a great ride, but not for all

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you do good work here you are rewarded - if you want to see how companies in the valley function this is a great place to be. Some of the smartest hard working people are here and you feel part of a strong brand. The products work, and the customer roster is strong.

Cons

The hours will be long and not all managers are created equally. Some are opportunists, some actually care. Snacks and lunches are good but that's table stakes at most companies in the valley. As the company's grown that has meant more policies and procedures - some make sense, others feel like needless bureaucracy.

Compensation needs to be competitive or your best will leave. Mean what you say about company values. No more "behinds in seats" mentality just to make things look busy - trust your staff, treat people like adults, manage by exception.

So far so good

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, but surrounded by helpful peers.

Cons

Learning the product takes time.

Spend a little more time teaching the product.