Marketo Reviews

Reset
3.8
Marketo President & CEO Phil Fernandez
Phil Fernandez

Pros
  • The company is growing quickly and has been killing it (in 5 reviews)

• Fast-paced business - you won't get bored (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I would not recommend it because: work/life balance, C-level views their structure with blinders on (the system feeds you leads that you then close (in 6 reviews)

• No work/life balance, mostly work (in 4 reviews)

1. Grow your sales career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top company in the valley with an A+ product. If you're looking to take your career to another level, and learn from the best this is the place to do it. Company is rapidly growing and innovating, which is ideal from a sales point of view. Lots of opportunity within the company to be succesful, and a great place to hit your number every month.

Cons

be prepared to be an A player because you'll be surrounded by top talent

Advice to Management

Continue to put resources into the sales team as you have done in the past, and continue the trajectory you are on.

Excellent Launchpoint in Sales - SDR Role

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High Growth SaaS company. Great Benefits/Compensation. Friendly, energetic coworkers who are easily approachable and willing to help - at all levels. Frequent office activities (In-Office Putting Competitions, Poker Tournaments, Game room w/ a Wii, etc). Very structured development plan for knowing what the next role will be and how to get there. It's an exciting place to be.

Quote from my older sister "You don't have a normal job. You have a pie in the sky job that everybody's jealous of."

Cons

Thinking about work can often be brought home - which I'm sure can annoy
    friends and/or significant others because you talk about it too much.
    The SDR role it requires hard work, all the time - which can be draining. Might not
    be for everybody. The role is a stepping stone and you should know that coming in.

The SDR/AE relationship can be frustrating at times. However, learning how to manage the relationship correctly and treating the AE's with respect is a skill that needs to be mastered quickly to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep the fun vibes in the office. Let's keep manhandling the industry.

Variety and great people

Current Employee - Employee In Customer Success in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Employee In Customer Success in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marketo has done wonderful things to keep their employees happy, healthy, and connected to the community:

- New maternity/paternity leave policy
    - Time off for volunteer work
    - Education financial aide
    - Competitive pay
    - Many departments have fun, creative, collaborative, supportive people
    - Great exposure to the world of marketing and customers who love us
    - B2B or B2C customers, we've got their attention and they bring about interesting use cases and challenges

Cons

- Poor planning and execution with many internal/external projects
    - Very irregular hours
    - If you are use to consistency and predictably in your work, you will have a hard time adjusting here

Advice to Management

Leadership should work on work/life balance of management, which will have a positive impact on individual contributors. They have heavy loads or feel compelled to take on more work than they should have to.

5. Great Company to Work For!

I have been working at Marketo

Pros

- Rapid growth means a fast pace and lots of opportunity for role diversity and career development
    - Great benefits - especially the maternity / paternity leave policies and volunteer days off
    - Organization embraces meaningful change - adopting new technologies and policies designed to make Marketo a better place to work and continue to be a market leader
    - Team attitude is pervasive - we are all working together towards common goals.

Cons

- Location - Commute can be difficult if you're unable to take advantage of free shuttle services
    - Many levels of management - does not currently impede business by presenting a weighty bureaucracy but that may be something that comes with continued growth
    - Growth of support services (HR, recruiting, etc.) struggling to keep up with company growth

Advice to Management

Be sure to value your high-performers and work towards better ways to identify those making meaningful contributions across your organization.

6. Mecca for Opportunities for the right person

I have been working at Marketo

Pros

Great Culture- Very People centric
    Good benefits - tailored benefits based on geographic needs
    Strong Leadership
    Work hard - Party Harder

Cons

Feels we are fast in many things but slow to update/innovate in systems and process [ex: Leave application & tracking procedure]

Advice to Management

The amount of tasks/projects we are undertaking is "a lot!", i get it it..It is needed considering the competition and the market space. Communication is key in keeping employees by our side through this tremendous growth phase, We are good , but we can be better at this.

Smart people but policies are lacking.

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are pretty bright. It's a very neat environment to work in. The sales quotas are really high but nothing too crazy. Very charismatic group.

Cons

I feel sorry for the SDRs, they have an insane quota and the Account Executives make them do a lot of the discovery work. This translates into SDRs never making their quota. It's nothing personal, but we can get away with it!

Advice to Management

I'll be moving to another company soon but the SDR <=> AE dynamics are messed up. As an AE myself, I feel really bad declining opportunities because I'm able to delegate next steps to them covertly.

Stop hiring kids right out of college. Pay SDRs a little more base and require more sales experience. Stop wasting your time with so many contract workers. Hire account executives from within more often. Outside hires straight into the AE position rarely has ended well.

AE's need more support from Marketing. We have a few amazing white papers to give prospects but we need more specific to each competitor. We have the best product & it should be easier to convey - compared to how it is now.

8. Corporate Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. High velocity environment. Management is very smart and will give you the tools and knowledge to succeed. #1 SaaS product for its industry and the message is strong since we eat and sleep Marketing. Lead flow is more than likely better than most companies in the SaaS industy. Every one of us loves a pat on the back, Marketo does a great job with recognition.

Cons

You work longer hours the last 3 days of the month, which can be expected in many sales roles closing out your month/quarter. You do get catered lunch the last 3 days however. If you are not organized, you will probably not do well, Marketo is fast paced and you will be juggling multiple deals with different usecases on a daily basis

Advice to Management

This could probably be said for any company. But if someone on your team is struggling, work with him/her on ways to get back on the right track before it is too late.

Great Place to work and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Accelerated advancements opportunity
    Growing company with achievable goals
    great work life balance

Cons

None to speak of at this time

Advice to Management

Continue to develop this wonderful company! Best stop in my 15 year sales career!

Sales

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bests product on the market, period. Best marketing team out there. Marketo is a rising star that's beating out the competition and is constantly innovating.

Cons

It's in San Mateo.

Advice to Management

Celebrate the victories more!

Chaos, no long term plan, get since every month!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room to learn new technologies.

Cons

Work space is an open floor plan, no walls. There are no separate sick days, so expect to get sick often! The internal change process is disorganized at best. Internal team training is nonexistant. Salary is low for the bay area. Projects are rushed and ultimately, not planned or executed with long term goals in mind. It's located in San Mateo. Management doesn't listen to experienced employees who are trying to help improve internal processes.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

RSS Feed </> Embed