Marketo

Updated February 25, 2015
3.8

Marketo President & CEO Phil Fernandez
Phil Fernandez

Pros
  • The company is growing quickly and has been killing it (in 5 reviews)

• Learn something new everyday, and extremely fast paced so you're never bored or unchallenged (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I would not recommend it because: work/life balance, C-level views their structure with blinders on (the system feeds you leads that you then close (in 6 reviews)

• No work/life balance, mostly work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

High Growth, High Expectations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Extremely intelligent people moving quickly to get stuff done. Will get all the experience and responsibility that may or may not want. Always stimulating and impactful work.

Cons

Standard challenges with fast growth - red tape, lack of openness. Need to forge your own path to get results.

Recognize star performers, encourage openness and work/life balance

Blah! Comfortable, but not inspiring

I worked at Marketo

Pros

Good kitchen, pretty good compensation and benefits. Lots of talented people

Cons

bottleneck for getting promoted, lot's of gridlock with middle management and politics to navigate, you will be in line behind a lot of good employees who should have already been promoted long before you walked in the door.

promote from within

Good place to work know they have a problem but not willing to fix it

I worked at Marketo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benifits
    pay
    Flexible schedule
    Some fun people to work with

Cons

Has serious problem between what they say and what they do. Know that they have said problem and not willing to make the changes to fix it. There are also the usual issues with a growing company communocations is way off. Lots of "we have always done it this way", but wont change even iof they know that does not work.

Fix your problems.
    Allow people and empower personnel to change things.

If you're sharp & work hard you can make a lot of money here

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo

Pros

The product is considered to be industry leading. Sales brings on at least 60 new logos per month and many of them are premium brands. Pay is competitive and bonus structure opens up another 25% on top of your OTE. The company invests in resources to enable the sales team and the solutions consulting group is some of the best I've ever worked with. There is a good program for recent college grads to get into sales or mgmt. Get 6-8 recruiters a week that reach out to me because Marketo sales reps are held in high regard. Fun place to work!

Cons

There are not large jumps in pay going from SDR to Sales and from Sales to Sr Sales. Monthly cadence sometimes makes it difficult to engage in solution selling and promotes transaction sales with discounting incentives.

Be aware that the OTE is in many cases lower than industry standards. This is acceptable with realistic quota goals and an incentive structure that makes up for the gap. Drastic changes in this area would impact your ability to hold on to top-talent.

Growing Fast Paced

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Challenging work
     - Fun Team and collaborative environment
     - Growing company means there are plenty of opportunities if you are smart and work hard.

Cons

- Runs fast and lean. Lack of people makes for long days and some priorities get delayed.
     - Open floor plan is loud and messy. It's hard for introverts.

Horrible, too much backstabin

Former Employee - Senior ProdOps Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior ProdOps Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is not that much special things here, company is cheap and all about save costs. but they have a yearly lottery event called bonanza and they ballot to give 2,3 ipad and laptops and a tv and some cheaper things to maybe 20 winners.

Cons

Wow, you will be shocked first weeks. seeing people simply backstabing and talking behind each other. and useing bad word like idiot / stupid ... behind their absent coworkers. specially in Production operation team, this is simply a habbit. too much dirty politic is going on, if you dont want to be one of them , you will be back stabbed.

Value moral, try to teach team manager to work together and see each other in same ship. They are fighting and get black eyes from each other everyday.

Great place to work

I have been working at Marketo

Pros

Excellent co-workers. Good opportunity to learn and grow.
    Company has expanded to multiple locations. Bull pens improve communication within the team.

Cons

Turnover has increased. Persistent pressure to perform. Mid level management needs to be considerate to their reports and take up their cause.

High Energy, Fast Paced, Great Team

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall:
    - Great Leadership
    - Great Coworkers/Team (Sales)
    - Innovative
    - Hard Working Environment
    - Takes Care of Employees (Compensation)
    - Appreciate Creativity and Reward The Extra Effort

I'll say this.... I think its pretty special when Monday's roll around and I absolutely do not mind going into work. The first day I walked into work at Marketo I thought that it was a place I could be working at for awhile... that hasn't changed now that I'm a few months into the job. Things move pretty fast, but the team is unbelievable and not one person on the sales floor will ignore a question you have and they love to help each other out. The sales team is relatively young but hold themselves as veterans and are a pleasure to work with.

Marketo also allows you to continue growing in your career and continue learning. I'm big on this and think a company that wants to keep its employees must do it and Marketo does a great job. Almost every sales person on the team has progressed by growing within the company and they allow you to take company paid classes in order to continue learning as well.

Lastly, Marketo is a market leader and continues to innovate. It's great to work for a company that has its customers in mind, and is thinking about how to improve... It's great to work for a company where the product is so good it can sell itself and there's no smokescreen.

Cons

I don't really think there are many cons in my book in the sales department. I love the sales culture, and the product is great.

Keep innovating!

Great time working as an SDR

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- no problem maintaining work/life balance - the job is literally 8am-5pm, because there is no one you can get on the phone afterwards
    - clear path for growth/ path to promotion
    - overall great management (some hick-ups once in a while, but on balance you can always count on your problem being addressed and solved)
    - great training
    - good benefits health/dental/vision
    - decent pay/ decent incentives. Not top of the flock on this one, but I do think MKTO pays its SDR team pretty decently.
    - MKTO has a great product and is in high demand. So the SDR people are not really competing against each other, but working as one team to bring as many opportunities in as possible. Much more productive environment, and no back-stabbing going around
    - great charity/volunteering support from the company
    - free snacks/drinks/other swag

Cons

- open environment - really noisy, takes time to get adjusted to it
    - huge pressure for quick a ramp up and top performance

Up the pay/ incentives for SDRs.

Culture is stagnant, toxic, and management uses scare tactics.

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Marketo

Pros

New equipment, nice offices, not so much micro-management.

Cons

Management is made up of folks who clearly have no business being that high up. Hard work is only rewarded with more work, while those who slack manage to make out the best. As tech support, I've seen call centers and startups both work with more sense and efficiency. Be prepared to go on anti-anxiety meds as the management enjoys using scare and stress tactics. Overall poor experience. Also beware that, from a tech support background, being Marketo certified is not very marketable.

You are not better than your employees. Without them, you would have never made it this far. Take time to truly appreciate the person behind the work. Learn to let some things go, and learn to provide the proper education upon hiring. Beware of using scare tactics, as once this spreads, hiring folks will become almost impossible. Treat your team with respect and understand that your way of managing needs to be abandoned. Learn to lead. Learn to care about your team and their needs above your own. When your team has to go above you multiple times to complain that you are bad at what you do, then perhaps you should open your eyes before you lose everything. I've had some bad bosses before, but as far as morale level goes, lowest I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.