Markit

Updated Jan 21, 2014

Markit CEO lance uggla

lance uggla

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Markit is a place where you can make your own experience good or bad.

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros_ Strong culture, there is an effort to have events and bring people together socially
_ Benefits are very thorough and bring a lot of value
_ Opportunity to work on personal projects you feel bring value to the company

Cons_ You can get lost in the sea of people, where you must be proactive to find a place and tasks where you can be productive
_ The long and steep learning curve combined with the pace of deadlines will make or break you
_ Increasingly corporate environment

A very pleasant place to work.

Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than a year

Pros- Free food
- Free soda
- Very friendly coworkers
- Hard work is acknowledged and rewarded

Cons- Occasionally, you may need to work overtime to meet a project deadline
- Salaries are slightly lower than average

Good for those with no experience, otherwise stay away

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey give a chance to people with no experience.
The chocolate drawer really is quite nice, and there's fruit and soda.

ConsFavoritism. Ridiculously short time lines. Constantly understaffed. Poor communication. The almighty dollar has become more important than quality work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake ownership for mistakes and don't allow senior staff members to blame the people under them for their own downfalls. Give clients realistic time tables for work.

Great learning experience, but pressure and internal politics were murder.

Senior Web Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you're starting out or want to bring your skills to the next level, this is a great place to learn. With some of the largest clients in the financial sector, perfection and professionalism is very important to the sites you build, and details matter. It's a good place to get some solid and rigorous coding methodologies under your belt and learn how to manage time within a team focused on multiple projects. There are some very good and talented people here. If you only work here for a year or two, you will then be able to move forward with your career with the knowledge you've gained.

ConsIt depends on what team you land in. Upper management haven't quite cottoned to the fact that the better programmers from their early days do not necessarily make good managers. Getting the wrong team lead can destroy your future at this company. I've known others who have worked happily here for years, but on different teams. Many brilliant and talented people who have left or been let go have had similar stories to tell, focused around trouble with the same lead developers.

If you have a new child, are going through a divorce, or aren't the type to submit to the reigning clique, getting assigned to the wrong team can mean that you will be scapegoated, harassed and eventually pushed out. While management won't acknowledge it, "performance reviews" under these circumstances are really nothing more than a way to apply additional pressure and to create a false paper trail to justify a firing.

While there are a core of employees who have been with the company from the beginning, this company also experiences constant brain drain by having some of the best people who join the company leave after a year or two due to the above problems. Pressure to work additional hours can create additional pressure at home, so don't join this company unless your home life is solid and you and your partner can both handle the idea that you may be on call 24 hours a day at times and be expected to work holidays and evenings to get a project done in time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't assume that a good programmer makes a good people manager. Many people are suffering and have suffered at your company from workplace bullying and harassment. You are losing some of your best people on a constant basis because you put too much faith in certain senior devs. Don't automatically assume that a team lead's version of the story regarding one of their team members is correct, and take complaints about leads from team members very seriously. Your former employees talk about their experiences for years afterward and can corroborate each other's stories.

"Cleaning house" by removing - not trying to reform - the problematic development leads would be an excellent first step toward making your company more productive and would vastly improve employee morale. Once you've done that, hire back some of the good people that have been wrongfully fired.

Best place I've ever worked!

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork-life balance, opportunity to do what I do best every day, culture of help and learning, lots of leadership opportunities.

ConsIt took me well over 6 months to learn how to thrive at MOD.

An amazing place to become a web craftsmen, but you will have to work for it...

Senior Web Developer/Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a web developer at Markit on Demand you will build high volume sites for some of the biggest names in the financial markets. You will learn how to optimize server and client side code to so that your site doesn't go down when the Dow drops 1000 points in 10 minutes. You will be exposed to top notch graphic designers who collaborate one on one with the client and build compelling user interfaces that are challenging, and rewarding, for web developers to build. You will engage in heated discussions with your co-workers about all things web development. You will be exposed to modern trends in web development. And you will learn how to solve all sorts of tricky web problems. If you can stand the stress, tight deadlines, and changing priorities, you will become a top notch web developer working at Markit on Demand.

ConsThe job will be stressful. Deadlines will be tight. Requirements will change at the last minute. You will need to work late nights and weekends. Be prepared for that or don't work there. If you're OK with that, then in my opinion, the pros of will outweigh the cons; but you will still eventually get tired of the stress.

And the pay will not be great at first. If you're OK with that, and you stick it out, they do pay you well for your hard work eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tight deadlines and changing priorities are what leads to stress and drives people to leave. Learn to manage requirements better. Learn to estimate the time to build a project better. And more importantly, don't wait until the last month to turn a huge quotes and research site over to QA! Incremental testing and deliverables will lead to less stressful large builds.

Interesting dichotomy of message and action

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a wealth of knowledge on the team and great people willing to help you learn. In the time that I have been here I have learned more about details and techniques that make great differences but are often overlooked in web development.

There is always work so you should never be bored and the work is generally for large clients so you'll have a chance to really show off your skills with millions of page views a month. If you are interested in finance you'll really get a chance to get a deep understanding and play with a lot of cool data.

The culture is highly talked about in the company and generally tries to be a welcoming place. Overall the people are friendly and there are a few groups/activities that take place after work.

ConsThere isn't a lot of continuity in the projects/clients, I suspect that is why some reviews tote the greatness of the company and others describe a tough uphill battle. If you have the chance to land on a good client you'll probably enjoy your time here, however the tough clients lead to some of the highest turnover I have ever seen in a company (and I've been at quite a few). The turnover seems extra bad on the project management team, but the engineering teams and senior developers have also been churning quite a bit recently.

Salary and benefits are a bit below market standards especially if you get into a position where you are one of the main developers on a project. Be prepared to put in some time on the weekends and late nights trying to hit deadlines, and once the project is 'launched' you should probably expect more stress trying to finish the phase 2,3,4 of the project and any/all bugs.

There is a company 'bulletin board' email group which should be a source of fun and casual information, however there seems to be a decent percent of the company that gets easily annoyed and offended turning the fun stream of email quickly into a sudden guilt ridden stop.

All the projects I have seen basically start with a deliverable date and then back track to figure out how to do it. Seems pretty inefficient, and leads to a lot of stress late in the project.

As to the title of the post, basically they try and convince you that they are trying to hold on to a small company feel, but everything feels super corporate. They act like the environment is laid back and open, but things are routinely kept quiet so you don't hear about what I would think is important information until there is little time to react. The idea of work life balance apparently doesn't apply to being on call 24/7.

Great place to get started, and hopefully keep going

Associate Developer (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time for less than a year

ProsI am surprised at the myriad of negative reviews here of the Boulder office. The problems here seem to be ones that can easily plague a company that grew a bit too quickly but the management is committed to implementing positive long-term changes, addressing grievances, and keeping everything moving onward and upward. I have never worked for a company that was so open minded to the general process; here, it feels that the best idea truly is boss as long as you can sell your team leaders on the concept. In general everyone is encouraged to explore new concepts, manage their own time (like we're adults, wow!), make good decisions, yell for help and receive it if we need it, and encourage us to learn and grow both personally and as professions.

As a new developer I find the work environment very helpful and encouraging. I can always count on my team members and managers to walk/talk me through something, give me advice, throw together an impromptu code review, and point me to resources and materials. I've never been made to feel like I am incapable or slow. I feel comfortable in telling someone that a concept is beyond me, or please explain this again, or what the heck does this mean, or I have no idea what I am doing here, or I am in over my head, can you get me someone who can help. Despite the fact we have constant deadlines and everyone is working hard, no one is so busy or stressed that they won't or can't take two minutes to help someone out. The cooperative culture here is just awesome, from what I have experienced.

It gets noticed when someone goes above and beyond. I've seen capable developers ascend quickly based on competency, teamwork, and general merit; the salary increases reflect this as far as I am concerned, and when comparing this with similar-sized companies I have worked for in the past, Markit grants higher salary increases for good quality work than anywhere I've ever been. The monthly check-ins that Associates receive is helpful in this process as well; we get constant feedback on how we are doing, and there is genuine interest in if we are happy, if we feel supported, etc.

Socially the company doesn't take much initiative but the people do. Folks at the office have gotten different types of groups started, from lunchtime disc golf to homebrewing. My team goes to lunch often and has started doing happy hours semi-regularly. The company also have an excellent for sale/wanted email system; I haven't had to deal with craigslist since I started here!

ConsWhile overall there is a good work-life balance the PTO package is modest and outdated for a company trying to be "cutting-edge" on employee relations and building a culture. Offer flex time in the summer. Give us one more vacation week per year. Create some extra floating holidays (day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, etc) that people can use. Et cetera.

The Boulder office is uncharacteristically rigid for being in a hip, tech-driven city. One of the first offices I've ever worked at where a great majority of people are still around at 5 on a Friday. I've never seen anyone order a beer during a lunch outing. The snacks and beverages offered at office-wide gatherings are barely adequate. Some of the free food in the kitchen feels like it was picked out by a 7-year-old (Easy Mac, Skippy peanut butter, Teddy Grahams, Goldfish, Quaker Granola Bars). Culturally they need to increase the "fun" factor and let people get away from their computers for a couple hours if they want to.

Also, the forcing of teams to move around every few months under the reasoning that it forces you to get to know new neighbors in the various buildings... this is not a good idea in my opinion. It stresses folks out and sometimes people end up working in rooms or areas they simply don't want to be in, but didn't get any input in. If you want to get people to work in different clusters more often, give everyone laptops and create coworking spaces around the office where anyone can hook up to a power supply, some external monitors, and a CAT-5.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're good at tech innovation; now it's time for human relations and environmental innovation. Keep fresh ideas on the table and let your people guide you higher.

You can do much, much better... I promise.

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than a year

Pros1) There are a few nice people... but seriously... where aren't there a few nice people?
2) The view of the Flatirons is breathtaking... and can be seen anywhere in Boulder.
3) You'll get a few big client names to add to your resume... Meh.

ConsUnreal. This is by far and away the worst job I have ever had. I was actually set up with an interview by someone in the company who warned me that they hated it there. I rationalized this by thinking they were unlucky and that I would have a different experience. Worst mistake ever.

1) SDLC - Development isn't done to any industry standard whatsoever (RUP, Agile). It's a constant state of adapting to poorly written code, changing schedule, non-standardized processes, and plenty of overtime to catch up. Goodbye work/life balance.

2) EPMO - Project Management is a disaster. Much of the time they just wing it without even creating Requirement documents... then the clients keep changing what they want, deadlines get destroyed, and the PM's have nothing to push back with. Highest turnover rate I have ever seen. The PM's often told me they are criticized constantly, even when clients are happy, and are given very little mentorship.

3) Bad Management Practices - Though this may not be universal within the company, there are extremely high levels of favoritism. Power was often abused by many of the managers. Random bonuses are distributed on the quiet, some folks work from home whenever they want, and supervisors come in late and leave early while their teams sweat after hours on product.

4) Reputation - When I was there many clients were leaving this company due to late deliveries, low quality product, and high monthly payments for hosting. From an employee perspective read the reviews on this site and ignore the ones that were obviously written by leadership trying to improve the averages. Even some of the three star reviews are scathing. Absolutely no recruitment agencies set up clients with this company. Ask yourself why.

5) The Pay, The Pay, The Pay - You think providing me a peanut butter sandwich is going to make up for the fact that I'm 20% off the average industry pay for what I do? I'm sure anyone at that company would trade in your well stocked junk food kitchen for a bump in salary. Add in your overtime hours and you'd make more money on average with an internship somewhere.

You can do much, much better. I promise.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in Boulder. The place is completely broken from the ground up. Ask for a completely confidential review of every manager in the place. Emphasize that the results will not be shared with them and employees will be honest instead of fearing reprisals. You'll be shocked at the results. Don't retrain these bad seeds. Let them go. They are part of the problem. Also your pay is the worst joke I've ever heard. I've almost doubled my salary since leaving there. Seriously. Now that there are many tech jobs available in the Rocky Mountain region employees will be leaving in droves unless you take immediate action.

Very poor experience with this company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are some good people that work there, but the corporate culture, structure and reward system ruins them.

ConsI worked for a company called Wall Street On Demand in Boulder which was bought by Markit in 2010. I watched a good company begin to go down the tubes until I got out. Markit was formed by people with banking backgrounds so the corporate culture changed from being an innovative tech company to one driven by monetary gain for management. The quality of the work being done for the customers was suffering due to the monetary incentive system implemented by Markit. Those who 'appeared' to be showing results were rewarded, but, in my opinion, they and their teams were producing poor quality work that would have to be redone before very long at a much higher cost to both Markit and their customers. I could not in good conscience continue my employment with that company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're locked into good stock options stay a while then cash out before the company goes down.

Worked for Markit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Markit reviews and ratings in Boulder, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Markit CEO lance uggla. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Markit employees.