Markit

Markit Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Markit CEO lance uggla

lance uggla

Pros:
  • "good work life balance, benefit is ok, working hours are more than reasonable"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good working environment and abundant learning opportunities"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sales is poorly managed and most senior management is hired in, rather than from within"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The idea of work life balance apparently doesn't apply to being on call 24/7"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit as an intern

ProsGreat people lots of responsibility

ConsTransition from micro to small cap is hurting them.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue doing a great job

No room for growth

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people. Good location in nyc Ability to have a flexible work schedule, if there is a valid reason for doing so

ConsBoys club, no guidance for people looking to get promoted. Office space is awful

Summer Internship

Intern (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Markit as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe culture was very laid back. Had a ping pong table in the office which was a lot of fun. The dress code was very casual

-Laid back culture
-Catered lunch
-Effort to organize a comprehensive intern program

ConsThe entry level work was very boring. Middle management does not trust entry level with a lot of responsibility. Not a great career if you have any aspiration. If you're satisfied not doing much and make a pretty good salary, then this is the career for you.

-Awful middle management
-Boring work
-Employees lack motivation
-"Office Space" vibe

Advice to Senior ManagementVery good upper management, but middle management and entry level is awful.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away

Infrastructure (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing people. After reading all of my cons, the only thing that makes it bearable is the people. A lot of the people in Infrastructure are competent and know what the right thing to do is. The only other pro is that Markit generally acquires about three companies a year, which introduces a lot of change into the environment.

ConsWhere to start:
Very poor pay, especially in Infrastructure.
Very poor bonuses, especially in Infrastructure.
CEO is delusional, he thinks he is running a dot com
CIO is an empty seat, only out for himself but to his credit he doesn't hide it
Very cheap budgets that get cut cut cut. Everything is done on a shoestring budget, nothing is done right or done strategically
Horrible management, no clear career path
Some of the toughest politics I've ever encountered especially with new acquisitions. The CEO must promise the world to new acquisitions only to pull the rug out
Upper management only interested in the share price so they can get rich while the worker bees are given nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a real culture, not a fluffy pretend "dot com". Create a clear career path for junior people. Hire some real leaders.

Not a good compary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsGym subsidy, web surfing without restriction, unique products even though you find them boring

ConsTitle system is badly managed. A small team could have several MDs, directors and they think they should do nothing but talk or manage ppl. Do-ers are few. Competitive ppl don't stay long with horrible pay and heavy workload. The management pay little respect to employees. No training.No career growth room.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees more and stop watching EBITDA all the time.

Awful

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsSubsidized gym membership
Health benefits
close commute

Cons10 years of working this is by far the worst experience I have ever had. Let me start with the interview process. The HR dept was so dis-organized that they interviewed me, I met with the hiring mgrs and then 2 weeks later was told by HR they had to interview me again!! because they lost my paperwork. When I got the offer and asked for more money. They actually told me you don't want to start a job asking for more money. Business 101 - you never take the first offer.

Senior Mgmt is a bunch of 30somethings who were at the right place at the right time.
The work was awful, your team-mates are trying to throw you under the bus, and senior mgmt does not listen to anything you say. I spoke to the head of Business and IT and was told it would get better. However, do not trust MGMT. Once you express your concerns you will be treated with passive/aggressive behavior.

If you are interviewing for this company look at all the open positions that are in the same department. It will be a strong indication of what teams are worse than others.

Advice to Senior Managementstop worrying only about yourself and pay attention to your staff. If there is a concern or problem address it. Stop treating your staff like garbage. Stop being so cheap and spend some money on your employees.

I am so glad I not part of your horrific, disgusting environment

Where is the button for zero stars?

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsComplete autonomy.
The health benefits are excellent.
Work life balance is great because nothing has to get done on time, or ever.

Cons-Complete autonomy allows for most employees to hide.

-Poor compensation.

-No 401k match for years. Only recently implemented.

-Internal shares worthless unless you were there in the beginning and have amassed large quantities.

-Process, process, and more process. Nothing is ever delivered on time, if ever.

-Top heavy with management. Too many queens and not enough worker bees.

-There is no drive to deliver anything. It is all about placating clients with promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe process that has been implemented is atrocious. I am sure you are well aware that nothing is being delivered and that is exactly the reason. Your users are using the ever changing process to shirk responsibility. I believe that Mr. Uggla would not recognize his company now as it is a far cry from what he probably believes it to be. What a pity.

Markit Rocks

Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsAn extremely fun and innovative company. Markit boasts an amazing social structure that allows a across the board level on interaction with all teams and levels.

ConsThey don't pay well. usually on the lower scale of the spectrum

Advice to Senior ManagementNo much to give.

What a horrible place to work!

I have been working at Markit full-time

ProsNONE!! All of the Pros ceased to exist when Markit took over.

ConsWorking here! I've never seen a place that rewards mediocrity and takes such pride in being somewhere employees hate to work. It's the most bizarre, backwards way of doing business I've ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing! You're doing it wrong!

Associate

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time

Prosgood satellite office atmosphere. great coworkers.

Consno upward mobility. pay way below market value. no career growth potential without complete career change

Advice to Senior Managementmore employee interaction

Worked for Markit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Markit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Markit CEO lance uggla. All 241 reviews posted anonymously by Markit employees.