Markit

Markit Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Markit CEO lance uggla

lance uggla

Pros:
  • "good work life balance, benefit is ok, working hours are more than reasonable"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good working environment and abundant learning opportunities"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sales is poorly managed and most senior management is hired in, rather than from within"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The idea of work life balance apparently doesn't apply to being on call 24/7"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great learning experience, but pressure and internal politics were murder.

Senior Web Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you're starting out or want to bring your skills to the next level, this is a great place to learn. With some of the largest clients in the financial sector, perfection and professionalism is very important to the sites you build, and details matter. It's a good place to get some solid and rigorous coding methodologies under your belt and learn how to manage time within a team focused on multiple projects. There are some very good and talented people here. If you only work here for a year or two, you will then be able to move forward with your career with the knowledge you've gained.

ConsIt depends on what team you land in. Upper management haven't quite cottoned to the fact that the better programmers from their early days do not necessarily make good managers. Getting the wrong team lead can destroy your future at this company. I've known others who have worked happily here for years, but on different teams. Many brilliant and talented people who have left or been let go have had similar stories to tell, focused around trouble with the same lead developers.

If you have a new child, are going through a divorce, or aren't the type to submit to the reigning clique, getting assigned to the wrong team can mean that you will be scapegoated, harassed and eventually pushed out. While management won't acknowledge it, "performance reviews" under these circumstances are really nothing more than a way to apply additional pressure and to create a false paper trail to justify a firing.

While there are a core of employees who have been with the company from the beginning, this company also experiences constant brain drain by having some of the best people who join the company leave after a year or two due to the above problems. Pressure to work additional hours can create additional pressure at home, so don't join this company unless your home life is solid and you and your partner can both handle the idea that you may be on call 24 hours a day at times and be expected to work holidays and evenings to get a project done in time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't assume that a good programmer makes a good people manager. Many people are suffering and have suffered at your company from workplace bullying and harassment. You are losing some of your best people on a constant basis because you put too much faith in certain senior devs. Don't automatically assume that a team lead's version of the story regarding one of their team members is correct, and take complaints about leads from team members very seriously. Your former employees talk about their experiences for years afterward and can corroborate each other's stories.

"Cleaning house" by removing - not trying to reform - the problematic development leads would be an excellent first step toward making your company more productive and would vastly improve employee morale. Once you've done that, hire back some of the good people that have been wrongfully fired.

Lifer

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to start your career

ConsCompensation too low for the work load

Don't Punish Yourself

I have been working at Markit full-time

ProsLiquidity events....if you have options and they are in the money...they are not exactly too generous with those.

ConsExecs are beyond approach
HR is not helpful, never has answers, always compares you to others when speaking to you personally (not during a review), quick to find ways to get people out the door, not responsive to looking to help find an answer
No training program
Boys club that keeps people out (not just women)
You reach a max in salary and in options for a level, but you can't get to the next level...they don't define the steps to advance, so its close to impossible
For those that have advanced, its sheer favortism
Incompetence is overlooked if you are part of the club
Hardwork is overlooked because you are NOT part of the club

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your HR department and start over
Make yourselves more available to the people that are doing all the work to help the company grow
Train people on what their job is
Stop the boys club mentality
Review the max on salary and options if you are going to make it difficult for people to advance
Define the steps for advancement (guess you can't do either of these with the HR dept you have)
Stop playing favortism, get rid of the incompetent people and reward those that work hard. Do it the right way, not the opposite way like you are now.

Best place I've ever worked!

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork-life balance, opportunity to do what I do best every day, culture of help and learning, lots of leadership opportunities.

ConsIt took me well over 6 months to learn how to thrive at MOD.

Horrendous management.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsSome very good co-workers. Beer Fridays during the summer.

ConsProbably the worse middle management in the industry. Complete incompetence and inexperience. However, it really flows up to upper management as they are the ones who assembled such a gross incompetent middle management team.

If you read other reviews of this company, the only positive reviews come from the IT/tech guys. Reading deeper in the reviews, you will see that the majority of the employees who aren't software developers all complain about how horrible the management is.

Office politics will always be an issue in any company, but Markit definitely wins 1st prize there. Some people have the impression that Markit is expanding exponentially because they always seem to be hiring. That is definitely not the case. Markit's employee count has not made significant increases the past few years. The only reason they are constantly hiring is because the employee retention rate is horrendous.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing because you guys aren't fit to do it.

An amazing place to become a web craftsmen, but you will have to work for it...

Senior Web Developer/Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a web developer at Markit on Demand you will build high volume sites for some of the biggest names in the financial markets. You will learn how to optimize server and client side code to so that your site doesn't go down when the Dow drops 1000 points in 10 minutes. You will be exposed to top notch graphic designers who collaborate one on one with the client and build compelling user interfaces that are challenging, and rewarding, for web developers to build. You will engage in heated discussions with your co-workers about all things web development. You will be exposed to modern trends in web development. And you will learn how to solve all sorts of tricky web problems. If you can stand the stress, tight deadlines, and changing priorities, you will become a top notch web developer working at Markit on Demand.

ConsThe job will be stressful. Deadlines will be tight. Requirements will change at the last minute. You will need to work late nights and weekends. Be prepared for that or don't work there. If you're OK with that, then in my opinion, the pros of will outweigh the cons; but you will still eventually get tired of the stress.

And the pay will not be great at first. If you're OK with that, and you stick it out, they do pay you well for your hard work eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tight deadlines and changing priorities are what leads to stress and drives people to leave. Learn to manage requirements better. Learn to estimate the time to build a project better. And more importantly, don't wait until the last month to turn a huge quotes and research site over to QA! Incremental testing and deliverables will lead to less stressful large builds.

Worst management in the business

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery smart, capable workers. Decent work flexibility.

ConsManagement in some area is the absolute worst I've ever seen in 20+ years. They are some of the biggest liars, crooks and backstabbers in the business.

The hot place to be in Financial Technology Services area

Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Charismatic CEO and a strong leader
- Diversified portfolio of successful products, revenue opportunities
- Strong growth company

Cons- each regional office operates independently, no sufficient feeling of unity as a global organization with the same culture.

Advice to Senior Management- continue to invest into employee and management training
- provide transparency and encourage internal transfers
- grow strong Markit brand and unity among employees.

Interesting dichotomy of message and action

Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a wealth of knowledge on the team and great people willing to help you learn. In the time that I have been here I have learned more about details and techniques that make great differences but are often overlooked in web development.

There is always work so you should never be bored and the work is generally for large clients so you'll have a chance to really show off your skills with millions of page views a month. If you are interested in finance you'll really get a chance to get a deep understanding and play with a lot of cool data.

The culture is highly talked about in the company and generally tries to be a welcoming place. Overall the people are friendly and there are a few groups/activities that take place after work.

ConsThere isn't a lot of continuity in the projects/clients, I suspect that is why some reviews tote the greatness of the company and others describe a tough uphill battle. If you have the chance to land on a good client you'll probably enjoy your time here, however the tough clients lead to some of the highest turnover I have ever seen in a company (and I've been at quite a few). The turnover seems extra bad on the project management team, but the engineering teams and senior developers have also been churning quite a bit recently.

Salary and benefits are a bit below market standards especially if you get into a position where you are one of the main developers on a project. Be prepared to put in some time on the weekends and late nights trying to hit deadlines, and once the project is 'launched' you should probably expect more stress trying to finish the phase 2,3,4 of the project and any/all bugs.

There is a company 'bulletin board' email group which should be a source of fun and casual information, however there seems to be a decent percent of the company that gets easily annoyed and offended turning the fun stream of email quickly into a sudden guilt ridden stop.

All the projects I have seen basically start with a deliverable date and then back track to figure out how to do it. Seems pretty inefficient, and leads to a lot of stress late in the project.

As to the title of the post, basically they try and convince you that they are trying to hold on to a small company feel, but everything feels super corporate. They act like the environment is laid back and open, but things are routinely kept quiet so you don't hear about what I would think is important information until there is little time to react. The idea of work life balance apparently doesn't apply to being on call 24/7.

Horrible middle management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to do more than just basic back office work. However, thats because most of the management seem to be "tools" so you'll have to do more than your own share to just keep things running.

ConsUnbelievable amount of middle management. Way too many talkers, not enough do-ers. Very upside down corporate triangle. There are teamleaders for teamleaders... One team with a few analysts may have several directors and multiple managing directors...

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice would be able to help management.

Worked for Markit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Markit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Markit CEO lance uggla. All 241 reviews posted anonymously by Markit employees.