Markit On Demand

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lance Uggla

Manic and dysfunctional

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsThe people working here are very nice to work with day to day. The benefits are good, and the office environment is pleasant. Company events that attract many of the employees are fairly common and are usually rewarding to attend.

ConsSurprisingly, for a company of over 20 years, they still think that promoting tech workers into executive management positions is a good idea. There is practically no leadership worth noting in any of the departments, and the sweatshop mentality quickly punishes initiative. The high turnover is dismissed by upper management as inconsequential, and any specific concerns raised by employees are swept aside. This leads many to leave in frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some real upper management.

I learned a lot while working for them, but it's very much a sweatshop that eats their young.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsThey use a lot of cutting-edge technology

ConsThe work environment is a sweatshop

Great learning opportunity for motivated individuals

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsMany talented web developers and a great work culture create a fun and dynamic place to work.

ConsIf not living in Boulder the commute can take a toll. With so many developers it can be difficult to be recognized in the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue providing learning opportunities for those that are motivated and have the desire. Recognize the competitive job market in the area and compensate those who perform well in an effort to retain talented and motivated individuals.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for, needs to re-think hiring and upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsNice people, interesting clients, potentially interesting work

ConsThis company is definitely having some growing pains. There were clearly a core group of people that somehow got “in” during the early years, mostly when they were 22 or something, and five to ten years later these people are running the place. They are not necessarily incompetent, and a few are great, but other than their tenure at MOD they generally have unimpressive resumes including work experience and education. However, they’re in.

So it goes with startups but MOD seems to be especially bad at adjusting to changing times and a growing company. MOD’s practice of hiring people at the bottom and then moving them up means they are going to have a hard time attracting good talent. No one with a distinguished career and/or prestigious degrees wants to work for a 28 yr. old former yoga instructor-turned- tech executive who just happened to stay at MOD for six years during the earlier days when that was the amount of time it took to move all the way up in the ranks. No one could move up that quickly now and there is an ever-increasing gap between the powers that be and the rest of the workers with a cement ceiling in between. People leave realizing that they won’t ever be in the inner circle and they’re smart so they can take their talents elsewhere. At the same time, the executive team sometimes seems to drive the competent people away. This self-preservation tactic does not bode well for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up a bit. The same ten people can’t have all the say with everything. Pull in some outside upper and mid-level talent, it may make things better. Also, many prestigious companies in Boulder manage to hire from outside of the state. Make it a point to get talent from outside of the Colorado University system (which isn’t that great), instead of hoping a few good people from New York or Cali will wander through your door every couple of years. Boulder is an attractive place to live and some people who would work in the tech scene in San Francisco would also work in Boulder. The company needs to expand their hiring reach to truly become successful. Also, don’t hire people with degrees from the University of Phoenix. Just don’t.

Good place to gather entry level experience but everyone that is smart leaves

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsBenefit decent. Not bad insurance not great either though. Payed transit if you ride the bus. Free snacks fully stocked kitchen. Some really smart developers work there. Great experience for learning how to handle high traffic site and optimizing for that. Nice to have actual designer making mockup. Well developed deployment process by far the best I have seen for UAT and production, seemless.

ConsIncredibly high turn over. Average developer is less than 2 years. Small group of senior level developers have high egos and tend to pass mistakes they make on to lower level developers. Also the these upper level developers tend to over commit so will likely be doing overtime to meet project deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting senior developers blame junior developers so you are able to keep your young new talent. Give developer / managers some training in management practices so projects are not so tight. Pay better especially after new developers demonstrate good work ethics and skills. You can start pay bellow but offer pay raises to junior developers shorly after to keep talent.

Not a place to work long term

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsGreat people, and an incredible learning environment. I've learned so much there, it's hard to put it all into words.

ConsIt is a very off-kilter place to work. I never really know if I'm doing a good job or bad job or ok job, because my manager doesn't really give kudos or criticism. There is no real performance-based compensation at all. I was given a bonus, of $100 after some particularly good work on a project.

A decent raise for a good developer is around 4%.

There have been a large amount of people leaving over the last year. Very few people work there more than 2-3 years.

There is very little communication between teams, which are very separated. Project Managers don't really manage the project, they communicate between the teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement some kind of performance-based compensation system. Make reviews more common, and less stressful. A simple once-per-month "How ya doin?" would be awesome.

Make possibly raises worth a person's while.

Profitable company with great benefits but a lack of structure and top-level strategic direction.

Pros- Benefits like unlimited chocolate, food, coffee and the likes
    - Solid standard benefits from health coverage to vision
    - 3 volunteer paid days off each yr
    - 9-5 standard work days

Cons- Lack of direction and structure
    - Zero top-down leadership or communications
    - Lack of support
    - Very flat organization

Advice to Senior ManagementMature the business and processes to better the company. This is no longer a start-up and more structure is required company-wide.

A good place to learn...

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsThere are some very interesting and smart people working here. You will have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short period of time. The multitude of projects means the job is rarely boring.

ConsExpect many distractions in the office!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more rigorous in who you choose for manager/team lead. Before making a final decision, seek input from those who work with the candidate every day. This will help you hold on to your engineers during a transition.

Work with great people but an increasingly corporate process

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsEveryone who works here is incredibly nice.

The deadlines are realistic, and I've never been expected to work overtime.

The C++ code base is good considering its age

For the most part, we can use whatever tools we want to get the job done.

Merit-based culture. If a new person has a good idea, the high-ups will listen.

ConsThings take a very long time to happen. We still have some things in Visual Source Safe and people on Windows XP who have been promised Windows 7 for a long time, which is preventing us from moving forward on other important technologies.

We are increasingly getting more process added to our daily work. We have two ticketing systems to track the same things, we have to talk to a dozen different teams to get something tested, and often it feels like you have to play a corporate game to get things done rather than doing real work. I am a software engineer but I do not get to spend nearly enough time writing code.

Because of the increased process, it seems like it is easier for senior management to ignore things that will be a problem until they actually become a problem, because then we have our line-item justification to fix it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on removing process that just exists because you think it should. At a certain point, time spent tracking time becomes significant and outweighs any benefits.

Great place to start your career

Boulder, CO

Pros-Everyone in Markit on Demand are super friendly and are ready to help.
    -They encourage you to ask questions and they are pleased to answer them.
    -There is a trust policy in the company which makes you value the company more.
    -Executives are very approachable and eager to meet new employees.
    -So much opportunity grow
    -No lay off history
    -Fast growing company
    -Opportunity to travel and even work in a different country.
    -etc.

ConsSalary should have been higher.

Worked for Markit On Demand? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Markit On Demand reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Markit On Demand CEO Lance Uggla. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Markit On Demand employees.