Markit On Demand

Markit On Demand Reviews

Updated November 10, 2014
Updated November 10, 2014

Lance Uggla

You'll work with lots of other very smart people!

Current Employee - Development Lead in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Development Lead in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit On Demand full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This place is for you if you like being constantly challenged by the work, and by everyone around you. When you have so many smart people coming at you from every angle, it keeps you on your toes. You have to be ready to come up with the creative solution, and then make it faster, make it more efficient, make it more reliable, and make it it slicker. If you want to sit back and rest of your past accomplishments, or just keep turning the crank on what has already been built, you are going to be unhappy, because this won't make your peers or your boss happy, and you'll ended up feeling pressured and stressed. But if you can keep up with the pace, do your share in helping to pull everyone along, and can savor the energy and fast-changing landscape, it's a fun ride.

The pay scale is not necessarily the highest, but the collective set of benefits, including health, disability, vacation, and even things like lifestyle and culture, have made it an attractive package for me. And over the years, the cash payouts during various company transitions (acquisitions and now stock options on our recent IPO) have been significant.

Cons

The company is still figuring out how to balance the need for rock solid stability against the need to stay innovative and entrepreneurial. As the company has grown in size and complexity, has added more and more major US and international clients, and been acquired by a larger firm, there is a tension between the need to be "safe" and need to keep pushing boundaries, between bureaucracy and speed, between reproducible processes and innovative approaches. By and large, they have navigated this transition fairly well, but there are still times where things can feel a bit out of balance to one side or the other.

If you are the kind of person who is threatened by working with peers who are just plain smarter than you are, this is not the place for you. Sometimes those smarts are accompanied by a wee bit of cockiness, particularly as people begin their rise up in the firm (and especially those who are younger) . But by and large folks are pretty modest about their own abilities. Success here requires a willingness to soak up knowledge as fast as you can, and the ability to mesh your abilities in with those around you, (find the gaps, and fill them in).

The training here is getting a bit better, but by and large, you get thrown into an amazing complex set of interconnected systems and codebases, and have to be able to pick things up quickly.

Now that we are a public company, I hope that the need to satisfy shareholders won't shorten our horizons, or compromise our ability to stay flexible and innovative. As both an employee and now a small-scale shareholder myself, I am more concerned about our long-term success than on short-term quarterly earnings announcements, and hope management we will continue to make smart decisions in balancing short-term profit against long-term growth.

Decent work environment, disappointing salary

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit On Demand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people at the company... they just don't stick around very long. Their developer university program is actually a really good opportunity for people to get their foot in the door and build up a resume, so that's definitely a positive.

The company is generally stable, and (outside of some teams), the work/life balance is ok.

People there are generally pretty nice.

Cons

Management seems disconnected and absent. They listen, and they're generally intelligent, but they'll rarely champion a venture or do anything proactive. It seems like most moves are purely reactive. You tend to get the impression that most of the big problems have been solved, and their goal is to just not kill the golden goose. They're nice people, but there isn't a lot of passion.

Salary is well below market. Senior management is aware of this, but it's been a problem for years, so I can't say they're serious about addressing it. It might be more of a feature than a bug -- they don't really /need/ top people so they're not really willing to pay for them. They do this thing where they basically ignore any requests for a raise until the person brings them an offer sheet, at which point they'll match. Ok, but forcing people to already have a foot out the door in order to get a competitive salary is not a great way to breed loyalty. Not surprisingly, turnover is high.

Most of the software they create does not require a rocket scientist to produce since the platform is largely built out already. Mostly it's just gluing things together.

They're also weirdly attached to a lot of tech decisions made long ago that really don't make sense anymore. There are definitely a lot of legacy systems that would probably take a good engineer 2-3 days to replace in a much better way, that they've just hung onto out of sheer stubbornness or because of not-invented-here syndrome.

Fire the bottom half of the development team and double the salaries of the ones you keep around. That seems harsh, but there are a lot of people there that have essentially made a career of being mediocre and wasting other peoples time, while the best people leave because they're underpaid and they have to routinely deal with people that cause them to scratch their head and think "why am I here and how is that person even still employed?" And then they watch their smart coworkers walk out the door and think "I should probably do that too".

The POC ("Point of Contact") system sucks. I get the idea, but being assigned random work based on your coworkers whim is annoying. (Not to mention that the morning role call seems slightly insulting). Unfortunately the whole POC thing also tends to preempt actual management. Frequently you end up having to do things "because the question came in on your POC day", rather than the team lead assigning it to the person who would make the most sense. This leads to people being distracted from the actual projects they should be working on, because something random came in and they have to deal with it, even if a teammate knew 10x more about the issue and wasn't super busy.

Manic and dysfunctional

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit On Demand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people working here are very nice to work with day to day. The benefits are good, and the office environment is pleasant. Company events that attract many of the employees are fairly common and are usually rewarding to attend.

Cons

Surprisingly, for a company of over 20 years, they still think that promoting tech workers into executive management positions is a good idea. There is practically no leadership worth noting in any of the departments, and the sweatshop mentality quickly punishes initiative. The high turnover is dismissed by upper management as inconsequential, and any specific concerns raised by employees are swept aside. This leads many to leave in frustration.

Hire some real upper management.

I learned a lot while working for them, but it's very much a sweatshop that eats their young.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit On Demand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They use a lot of cutting-edge technology

Cons

The work environment is a sweatshop

Great learning opportunity for motivated individuals

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit On Demand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many talented web developers and a great work culture create a fun and dynamic place to work.

Cons

If not living in Boulder the commute can take a toll. With so many developers it can be difficult to be recognized in the crowd.

Continue providing learning opportunities for those that are motivated and have the desire. Recognize the competitive job market in the area and compensate those who perform well in an effort to retain talented and motivated individuals.

Good company to work for, needs to re-think hiring and upper management

I worked at Markit On Demand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, interesting clients, potentially interesting work

Cons

This company is definitely having some growing pains. There were clearly a core group of people that somehow got “in” during the early years, mostly when they were 22 or something, and five to ten years later these people are running the place. They are not necessarily incompetent, and a few are great, but other than their tenure at MOD they generally have unimpressive resumes including work experience and education. However, they’re in.

So it goes with startups but MOD seems to be especially bad at adjusting to changing times and a growing company. MOD’s practice of hiring people at the bottom and then moving them up means they are going to have a hard time attracting good talent. No one with a distinguished career and/or prestigious degrees wants to work for a 28 yr. old former yoga instructor-turned- tech executive who just happened to stay at MOD for six years during the earlier days when that was the amount of time it took to move all the way up in the ranks. No one could move up that quickly now and there is an ever-increasing gap between the powers that be and the rest of the workers with a cement ceiling in between. People leave realizing that they won’t ever be in the inner circle and they’re smart so they can take their talents elsewhere. At the same time, the executive team sometimes seems to drive the competent people away. This self-preservation tactic does not bode well for the future.

Shake things up a bit. The same ten people can’t have all the say with everything. Pull in some outside upper and mid-level talent, it may make things better. Also, many prestigious companies in Boulder manage to hire from outside of the state. Make it a point to get talent from outside of the Colorado University system (which isn’t that great), instead of hoping a few good people from New York or Cali will wander through your door every couple of years. Boulder is an attractive place to live and some people who would work in the tech scene in San Francisco would also work in Boulder. The company needs to expand their hiring reach to truly become successful. Also, don’t hire people with degrees from the University of Phoenix. Just don’t.

Good place to gather entry level experience but everyone that is smart leaves

I worked at Markit On Demand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefit decent. Not bad insurance not great either though. Payed transit if you ride the bus. Free snacks fully stocked kitchen. Some really smart developers work there. Great experience for learning how to handle high traffic site and optimizing for that. Nice to have actual designer making mockup. Well developed deployment process by far the best I have seen for UAT and production, seemless.

Cons

Incredibly high turn over. Average developer is less than 2 years. Small group of senior level developers have high egos and tend to pass mistakes they make on to lower level developers. Also the these upper level developers tend to over commit so will likely be doing overtime to meet project deadlines.

Stop letting senior developers blame junior developers so you are able to keep your young new talent. Give developer / managers some training in management practices so projects are not so tight. Pay better especially after new developers demonstrate good work ethics and skills. You can start pay bellow but offer pay raises to junior developers shorly after to keep talent.

Not a place to work long term

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit On Demand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, and an incredible learning environment. I've learned so much there, it's hard to put it all into words.

Cons

It is a very off-kilter place to work. I never really know if I'm doing a good job or bad job or ok job, because my manager doesn't really give kudos or criticism. There is no real performance-based compensation at all. I was given a bonus, of $100 after some particularly good work on a project.

A decent raise for a good developer is around 4%.

There have been a large amount of people leaving over the last year. Very few people work there more than 2-3 years.

There is very little communication between teams, which are very separated. Project Managers don't really manage the project, they communicate between the teams.

Implement some kind of performance-based compensation system. Make reviews more common, and less stressful. A simple once-per-month "How ya doin?" would be awesome.

Make possibly raises worth a person's while.

Profitable company with great benefits but a lack of structure and top-level strategic direction.

I have been working at Markit On Demand

Pros

- Benefits like unlimited chocolate, food, coffee and the likes
    - Solid standard benefits from health coverage to vision
    - 3 volunteer paid days off each yr
    - 9-5 standard work days

Cons

- Lack of direction and structure
    - Zero top-down leadership or communications
    - Lack of support
    - Very flat organization

Mature the business and processes to better the company. This is no longer a start-up and more structure is required company-wide.

Work with great people but an increasingly corporate process

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit On Demand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone who works here is incredibly nice.

The deadlines are realistic, and I've never been expected to work overtime.

The C++ code base is good considering its age

For the most part, we can use whatever tools we want to get the job done.

Merit-based culture. If a new person has a good idea, the high-ups will listen.

Cons

Things take a very long time to happen. We still have some things in Visual Source Safe and people on Windows XP who have been promised Windows 7 for a long time, which is preventing us from moving forward on other important technologies.

We are increasingly getting more process added to our daily work. We have two ticketing systems to track the same things, we have to talk to a dozen different teams to get something tested, and often it feels like you have to play a corporate game to get things done rather than doing real work. I am a software engineer but I do not get to spend nearly enough time writing code.

Because of the increased process, it seems like it is easier for senior management to ignore things that will be a problem until they actually become a problem, because then we have our line-item justification to fix it.

Focus on removing process that just exists because you think it should. At a certain point, time spent tracking time becomes significant and outweighs any benefits.