Markit

Markit Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Markit CEO lance uggla

lance uggla

Pros:
  • "good work life balance, benefit is ok, working hours are more than reasonable"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Good working environment and abundant learning opportunities"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sales is poorly managed and most senior management is hired in, rather than from within"
    in 13 reviews
  • "EPMO - Project Management is a disaster"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent place, up and coming name in Financial services industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStart-up culture, hardly any bureaucracy.
Decent pay, slightly less than banks but good work-life balance.
Good NYC location.
Young workforce.
Good training.

ConsSome really smart people but some are pretty dumb.
Technology is not the best in the industry.
Some people tend to think of it as just another data company or financial software company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend on technology.
Hire smarter people.
Spend more on your employees.

Its who you know not what you know

Director, Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMarkit pays a slightly higher base salary than many firms but if you are in sales there is no commissions paid only an end of year bonus which is discretionary and in recent years is a joke.

ConsIdiotic start time of 8am for sales. Long hours, no flexibility to work from home, sales management from the global head on down has no clue as to what they are doing. Environment that rewards favoritism and overlooks ability or production. Sales global head would rather hire from outside than promote from within and usually does so with disastrous results

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to identify talent, create business plans and communicate to teams, create a positive environment (especially in sales). Replace current sales management with people that are capable.

Could be so successful...

I have been working at Markit full-time

ProsNice mix of technology and finance. Some fun people who are willing to dive in and stick with you to tackle challenges if you partner with them.

ConsUses 'startup culture' as an excuse for not developing with specifications, defined client expectations or responsibilities and true project planning. Near constant state of (avoidable) chaos. Lack of ownership across all groups and levels. Ineffective management with lack of experience in true managerial roles, decision making and ability to take charge. It seems like those that last embrace complacency. Significant turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter recognize technical leadership versus managerial leadership. Reduce hierarchy unless it adds value to the product, client or employee. Implement processes to support holistic thinking and accountability from development and quality assurance. Define project management procedures to support timeline management and adherence.

Positive experience at Markit in Dallas

Technical (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Markit full-time for less than a year

ProsHigh-performance co-workers + laid back environment. Usually don't have to work more than 40 hours per week. Bosses are unpretentious; everyone relates to everyone as equals. Relaxed dress code. Free lunch 4 days a week. The ping pong table gets a lot of use. They are OK with you working on other software on your own time, as long as you declared it before employment and it is not related to their business. They are flexible and understanding of situations that come up. They are more interested in your work output and results than rigid rules. Good rewards for finding people for them to hire. Start out with 3 weeks vacation.

ConsHalf of bonuses paid out the following year, and half the year after that. Free soft drinks and some free snacks (a con for my waistline).

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on better project management. Internal cost for virtual machines is ridiculous; a dedicated hardware machine should be cheaper.

A real review

Vice President (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsNYC locations are convenient, good medical

Cons1) Management – the average age of Director/MD are 35+ with minimum management skills (no prior mgmt experience, training, or education). They basically were at the right place at the right time when the company expanded very quickly.
2) Pay is below industry average. I went out to the open market and was offered 30% more. Bonus is a joke across the board.
3) The company is very immature. Too many mergers and acquisitions in a 10 year time period causes problems developing processes and procedures. The turnover is very high.
4) The role of HR is to protect management
5) Mgmt and its inner circle are bullies. If you express ideas they don't agree with be prepared to be bullied.
6) If you work at the Park Avenue office be prepared to witness your colleagues/coworkers treated inhumanely as they are seated in aisles. While many MD’s are seated in areas that are big enough for 2 or 3 people.
7) Inflated titles that do not represent the aptitude of a person. I worked with people who were "VP" and had a total of 4 years of work experience. The titles do not correlate with the financial services industry where having a title of VP means something (mostly likely a recruiting tactic).

Advice to Senior ManagementI spoke to senior management while i was there and none of my concern were addressed.

Markit is a place where you can make your own experience good or bad.

Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros_ Strong culture, there is an effort to have events and bring people together socially
_ Benefits are very thorough and bring a lot of value
_ Opportunity to work on personal projects you feel bring value to the company

Cons_ You can get lost in the sea of people, where you must be proactive to find a place and tasks where you can be productive
_ The long and steep learning curve combined with the pace of deadlines will make or break you
_ Increasingly corporate environment

Awesome!

Global Summer Intern (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Markit as an intern for less than a year

ProsDiversity. A nice place to foray the finance industry.

ConsIntense work and pressure. High-pace working environment. Not too many cons though.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore diverse?

not a bad company

I have been working at Markit

Prosgood work life balance, benefit is ok, working hours are more than reasonable

Constoo many acquisitions makes it a difficult place to work, too many locations makes communication very hard.

The worst company to work for

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company as a whole is good

ConsThe managers are rasict and do skin discrimination. The Directors here don't know what they working on and are still here for the heck of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire people who have knowledge about the products and who don't do skin discrimination and apply different policy for different people.

A great place to start a career. Company is growing rapidly

Associate (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Markit full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work life, fantastic company culture, great benefits.

ConsStarting pay as an associate is not high but there are a lot of benefits and overtime pay.

Worked for Markit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Markit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Markit CEO lance uggla. All 241 reviews posted anonymously by Markit employees.