Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Marks & Spencer CEO Marc J. (M. J.) Bolland

Marc J. (M. J.) Bolland

Pros
  • Additionally their staff discount is quite good as you can use it even on sale items(in 18 reviews)

• 20% discount is really good and something that not many employers do these days(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance for full timers(in 5 reviews)

• However, I believe this system has changed since I last worked for M&S(in 7 reviews)

Great company and an enjoyable place to work

Parker (Current Employee) Castle Donnington, England (UK)

ProsCompetitive salary from the start, there is also opportuniteis to progress and learning as they offer training all the time. The working as one team helps one feel welcomed and fit in quickly.

ConsHave not come across any career path scheme yet

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be Nice to have career path scheme especially for the people who are not working at the head offices too.

Expect far too much from staff

Customer Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsStaff discount, share save and pension. Staff have good working relationships and support colleagues who may not be confident in some areas.

ConsExpect more and more of staff without extra pay or benefits. Sickness policy is a disgrace. Staff are not encouraged to move from one business unit to an another which would help with the running of the store when there is a lot of sickness in one. Senior management don't help sales floor staff when busy and would much rather phone for help instead of just pitching in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance related pay would encourage employees who don't pull their weight to do more. Regional Managers should not inform stores they are coming so they can see how the store is run normally.

Lack of directives and management

Senior Art Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorked on one of the biggest eCom releases in years

ConsVery hard to work without any form of management. Felt that we worked for something without any scope or plan

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more time to talk to each other, work together with each teams and not against them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process upon process

Digital Marketing (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA great brand with some intelligent people

ConsA lot of lifers who long ago forgot what they were meant to be doing, so weigh the company down with process. It makes it almost impossible to get things done, definitely speedily. If you do take a job there, negotiate as high a joining salary as possible as the salary advancements are pretty much non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying competitive salaries. The prestige of working at M&S isn't nearly as good as you think it is.

Good place to work

Solution Architect (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgood company to work for

Constravel between sites can be a bit of a pain.

Great experience at the company

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

ProsPossible progression in the company
    20% discount card

ConsManagement don't help out on the floor
    Elder staff don't like to mix with younger, big divide

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out with customer assistants

Good company to work for.

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsFriendly atmosphere. Good training provided. Good rate of pay

ConsManagement do not mix with retail staff. Unorganized on occasions in relation to visits by senior members of the company

A lumbering giant...

Logistics Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood perks. Big efforts made by top management to be transparent and showing care and faith in the company and employers.

ConsOnly succeed if your line manager supports you...

customer service/ retail assistant

Retaail Assistant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosit enjoyed wrking at m and s. gain customer service skills

Consjob isnt secure as a temp

Very repetitive work if your working the shop floor.

Customer Assistant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros20% Discount including sale items
    Good Senior managers in general, they show you some respect and listen to what you have to say
    range of shifts to choose from if your willing to move departments and rotas etc upon availbility
    decent canteen facilities

Consdiiferent treatment and work loads in different stores
    foods dept workers on shop floor are worked like slaves to cut costs and increase profit
    some line managers can be very rude and verging on bullying to the point it impacts your personal life
    some promotions are based on favoritism, rather than actual skills and display of work ethic.
    not everyone has the equal chance to train and develop through company schemes depending on how demanding their current job role is.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a good job overall, could be much worse. Would pay more attention to how promotions are given within the stores and ensure every employee has equal opportunity to partake in development programmes. Also stop pursuing the cutting of staff. it is seriously affecting the level service we can give to the customer as well as over all shop standards and keeping stock replenished. too much too handle between the floor staff, jobs get done half-way and drives moral down.

Worked for Marks & Spencer? Contribute to the Community!