Marlin Business Services Reviews

1. Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time

Pros

Working at Marlin is a challenging but rewarding experience. The employees are friendly and upper management does a great job of interacting and generally looks out for the sales reps and other staff. Great facility as well! Room for advancement. Great training.

Cons

Can be challenging/ frustrating at times. Leads aren't always the best, paid time off is often frowned upon no matter the circumstance.

Advice to Management

Outside sales reps something to think about, to generate better leads and rapport. Keep up the great work! Marlin will be the leader in equipment financing in the coming years.

Dedication not rewarded here...

Pros

Free end of month lunch and pretzels every Friday. Decent surroundings. Immediate health coverage.

Cons

Each department operates on an individual agenda. Depending where you work or who you report to, the experience is completely different. Promotions, for the most part are given to people who are not "qualified" in as much as who they know through their personal relationships outside of Marlin. HR talks a big game on Core Values - all smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Management

Would be a waste of time to go there..some of your managers are the your biggest problems.

3. Western Regional Leasing Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great boss who was also let go from our major account team

Cons

Name brand and offerings not as competitive as big name players

5. Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

Pros

The company is growing. Management is committed. The long range strategy is sound. The business is sustainable! Employees are being engaged. Marlin pays attention to its culture and enlists opinions on how to improve it.

Cons

The naysayers whi have left. People are not a fit in all organizations. We are are salespeople here. For some, its just not their gig. Accept it, move on and stop griping about it. Find something you're happy with.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees! The dividends are huge!

Good company, but you are locked into the call center mentality.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people-benefits start day 1,decent training & good company culture... If you can stick it out you can move about the company.

Cons

Call center mentality. 70+ calls per day. No accounts given . Archaic technology & A lot of good reps & senior Managers are leaving.... Job description is not aligned to actual position.

Advice to Management

You are going to need to build a bigger & updated boat.

Marlin Fan. I loved it so much I worked there twice.

Former Employee - Sales Support in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Marlin is a great company to work for. When I was employed from 2001-2003 I was in Customer Service. I enjoyed my job but wanted to work with my experience in Sales Support. Marlin did not offer this position back then. Once I heard they started, I jumped at the chance to go back. They hired me Iin 2012 In the Healthcare Group. I was where I wanted to be. This is just one of the Pros. This is a family oriented business with highly skilled staff that make you feel welcome. The management staff is supportive and willing to teach you all that you need to advance. I was proud and happy to be there.The work is hard but satisfying. Another Pro is that your health benefits starts on your date of hire. This is almost non-existent in most businesses. I woke up each morning without "dread". I was recently laid off but hope to return when the economy gets better.

Cons

Like most finance (sales based) companies, Marlin bases everything on volume. This can be difficult to navigate and you will need to work under pressure at times. Customer Service is not only for Customers and Vendors but for inside people as well. If you work hard, you should do well.

Advice to Management

Please listen to all employees when you are looking for "what is needed to improve" I enjoyed working with all levels of management. I worked with Dan Dyer for many years at a previous company and he brought all the positive things to Marlin. Never forget that it's never too lake to do the right thing" Respectfully, Meri

8. Best Decision I Ever Made

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Team environment from the top down, Constant employee betterment opportunities through experience, training, education & awards, Stable. A strong career opportunity at any level. Good and flexible place to work that is constantly expanding.

Cons

Every company has their issues, Marlin is no different. This company has made strides addressing employee and customer dissatisfactions over the past few years. Adapting sooner is all I can recommend.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I've had a few different managers over the years and this place has some of the best I've ever worked with. Continue to invest in your employees it will continue to pay off.

Poor compensation

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Good people, very little overtime

Cons

Horrible salaries, poor growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Paying employees with competitive salaries is a must, otherwise it's on to the next opportunity as quickly as possible. Your compensation structure promotes high turnover.

From Day one here, I have been a bit concerned with Marlin's ethics regarding customers as well as employees.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My direct report is a joy to work for. Exercises a 'coach' mentality rather than micro managing.

Cons

Severe disconnect between upper management and the rest of the company. New commission plan was just roled out that will cut commissions across the company. This will result in most making less $$ in 2015, yet producing more for Marlin. Instead of awarding employees for jobs well done, they punish them. This would be ok if upper management took the same hit, but those high $$ compensations actually continue to increase for them. Not sure if they realize their employees can see that... The CEO seems to be a numbers genius, but didn't even know when one of his employees for 15 years was retiring. He thought we were throwing an office birthday party....... Even a simple hello in the hallway seems difficult for him. It's almost as if he sees himself above and doesn't care about the rest of the company. Company culture is as horrible as it could be. instead of working together, people actually go out of there way to hurt others. This comes from the top down. Fees fees fees. Instead of selling, like we are supposed to be doing, we are constantly answering calls and emails about why customers are being charged outrageous fees. Learn how to treat your customers and employees and they might actually stay with you.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who knows how to run a business. If not, treat your employees like they matter. People are not committed to making Marlin more money by taking compensation cuts. Your salaries are public - NEVER forget that people across the company notice When they make less year over year and you make more. Pay good wages and you will attract solid and talented employees. Engage more with the entire staff and people will respect you more. Marlin needs a leader, not a numbers genius. Until that happens, nothing will change.

My future looking bright!

Current Employee - Leasing Representative in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Leasing Representative in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I look forward to the renovations at the office being completed, the company is trying very hard to create a good work environment. Providing food, awards and trying to help us do our best while working very hard. I believe the company values their employees and lately it shows!

Cons

Promotions don't come easily, but they are well worth working toward and we are rewarded for success. I believe leadership understands the need to evolve and constantly tries to promote our sense of worth. I have seen some less than glowing reviews online, yet when I read through, I feel these were written by people who have a grudge for some reason.

Advice to Management

Just keep understanding the economic frustrations we all share.

RSS Feed </> Embed