Marlin Business Services

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Daniel P. Dyer

My future looking bright!

Current Employee - Leasing Representative in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Leasing Representative in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I look forward to the renovations at the office being completed, the company is trying very hard to create a good work environment. Providing food, awards and trying to help us do our best while working very hard. I believe the company values their employees and lately it shows!

Cons

Promotions don't come easily, but they are well worth working toward and we are rewarded for success. I believe leadership understands the need to evolve and constantly tries to promote our sense of worth. I have seen some less than glowing reviews online, yet when I read through, I feel these were written by people who have a grudge for some reason.

Just keep understanding the economic frustrations we all share.

From Day one here, I have been a bit concerned with Marlin's ethics regarding customers as well as employees.

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My direct report is a joy to work for. Exercises a 'coach' mentality rather than micro managing.

Cons

Severe disconnect between upper management and the rest of the company. New commission plan was just roled out that will cut commissions across the company. This will result in most making less $$ in 2015, yet producing more for Marlin. Instead of awarding employees for jobs well done, they punish them. This would be ok if upper management took the same hit, but those high $$ compensations actually continue to increase for them. Not sure if they realize their employees can see that...

The CEO seems to be a numbers genius, but didn't even know when one of his employees for 15 years was retiring. He thought we were throwing an office birthday party....... Even a simple hello in the hallway seems difficult for him. It's almost as if he sees himself above and doesn't care about the rest of the company.

Company culture is as horrible as it could be. instead of working together, people actually go out of there way to hurt others. This comes from the top down.

Fees fees fees. Instead of selling, like we are supposed to be doing, we are constantly answering calls and emails about why customers are being charged outrageous fees.

Learn how to treat your customers and employees and they might actually stay with you.

Sell the company to someone who knows how to run a business. If not, treat your employees like they matter. People are not committed to making Marlin more money by taking compensation cuts.

Your salaries are public - NEVER forget that people across the company notice When they make less year over year and you make more. Pay good wages and you will attract solid and talented employees. Engage more with the entire staff and people will respect you more.

Marlin needs a leader, not a numbers genius. Until that happens, nothing will change.

YUK

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best reason to work here? Ummm, it's a job??

Cons

Awful people: mean-spirited, culture is one of favoritism--there is no earning anything here

Since the culture comes from the top down, they should all go

Cowards and Clueless!

Former Employee - Management in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Management in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Far and few between. I suppose you can appreciate the health benefits, but most larger employers offer something anyway. In the coming years for a company this big they will have to offer it anyway.

Cons

Senior Management - - - COWARDS and CLUELESS! They should be ashamed of themselves!! I'm not sure how they sleep at night. Maybe they don't..I hope not.

They don't even have the most basic understanding about business, which is to respect and invest in your employees and to respect and appreciate your customers. To the contrary, their focus is on making the company's financials look pretty and their PERSONAL pockets full!! Can you say GREED???

See above! And oh yeah, resign and then take some time to reflect on how you live your lives. Scoundrels!

Solid, growing company with opportunity

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good company that weathered the economic storm of the last few years. Most managers have a wealth of experience, and there is the potential here to make very good money.

Cons

This place seems to change every 6-12 months and you have to put up with the pressure.

Be realistic.

A great growth business model and a great environment for those who want to work hard and have fun at the same time.

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time

Pros

Long term growth strategies. Business sticks to what its good at and thinks matter out carefully when contemplating getting into new market channels.

Cons

The business has a very bright future

Well capitalized. Let's grow faster.

It's a j.o.b.

Current Employee - Sales in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Stated above. Call center mentality. The company makes a lot of money and few of the employees do. Micro managed. Oh, this is supposed to be the "Pros" of working there. Well I'll have to get back to you on that....

Cons

They don't invest in even half decent leads. They'll pay you beat the same dead horses rather than spend the money to get qualified prospects. They are more interested in the number of calls you make than anything else. You have to make so many calls to hit their simpleminded call quota it interferes with real revenue generating activities.

Good experience. Learned quite a bit about business progression

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun and competitive work environment.

Cons

You are truly on your own to figure out how to make money

Give more free reign to development managers.

Great, fast growing, fast paced

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun co-workers, decent compensation, many culinary surprises during the month, good benefits, accessible senior management

Cons

Compensation plans are low for the amount of work and compared to other companies, sometimes management is not in tune with what is actually reality vs. their plans

Listen to the information your front line is giving you... they feed you with awesome competitive intelligence and sometimes it is ignored... pay more performance pay. Keep doing the "nice stuff" the employees really appreciate it. Put a wellness plan into action.

A job rather than a career

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Non management workers
    casual environment
    PTO
    health benefits
    No weekends
    Contests for prizes

Cons

Micromanagement
    Commission scale has decreased over the last 2 years
    Poor management
    Lack of advancement opps
    Poor morale and negative micromanaging
    Borderline unethicle with corporate decisions
    Too much paperwork that takes away from sales
    Too many reports
    Understaffed, overworked, underpaid
    High turnover
    Unrealistic goals
    Billing and customer service is ongoing issue
    No account protection

Look at the big picture and stop being so short sighted. Collecting fees should not supersede vendor and Customer relationships. Listen to your work force as almost everyone is unhappy but manangement does not seem to care. Increase the commission plan or you will start losing some of your strongest sales people

Marlin Business Services Photos

Marlin logo on our building
Front entrance to Marlin