Marquette General Hospital Reviews

A. Gary Muller

1. Change in ownership meant change across the board

Former Employee - Library Media Specialist in Ishpeming, MI
    Former Employee - Library Media Specialist in Ishpeming, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere. The work I performed felt purposeful. Hours were extremely accommodating, along with the fact that I had most holidays off.

Cons

The only downside was the decision not to renew the position I had been working in. I was told that instead of being the AV Assistant (in which I was supposed to assist the "Media Specialist," who had left and therefore all the responsibility of that position fell into my lap) I would become the new Media Specialist, complete with a raise. This never happened. It finally was decided, and shown to me in writing, that they were not keeping the Media Specialist position, which obviously was frustrating, in that I was still doing the work of said position. To say that the position didn't exist despite the fact that I was doing all the work for it was enough for me to leave.

Advice to Management

None, it's a hospital being run by a very efficient team. After I left I heard they eliminated my department (the education department) so it's clear they know what direction they want to go it.

2. Used to be friendly, caring, community hospital, but now owned by large comparny who doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Marquette, MI
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Marquette, MI

I have been working at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Closeknit staff, small town feel, up-to-date technology, vibrant community.

Cons

Management understaffs departments to make more money. This is creating bad morale and poor service to patients. Employees are being trained in too many areas and quality of work has declined. Employees are no longer happy to work here.

Advice to Management

Use your brain! To provide good service and make this a hospital people actually want to come to, you need to treat your employees with respect and staff each department so we aren't stressed out after each shift. Department management needs to know their staff better and place employees in positions they excel in. When you spread your employees over too many jobs it may offer more flexibility, but not better quality of service. And stop treating employees unfairly! New openings need to be posted and given to most senior and most qualified techs.

3. It was a great place to work until Duke Lifepoint took over.

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros with Duke Lifepoint

Cons

Duke Lifepoint only cares about money and not about their employees or patients.

5. Worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - X-RAY in Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - X-RAY in Marquette, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's in the beautiful UP.

Cons

You will never get a raise, never have a superior say thanks, and it's the most unhealthy work environment I've ever come across.

Advice to Management

Administration and CEO's have received raises every year. Guess how long non-unionized workers have been waiting for a raise. 7 years!!!!!!

6. A great hospital going down the tubes--have watched the downfall for twenty years.

Current Employee - Nurse in Marquette, MI

Pros

Great coworkers who are committed to the Upper Peninsula and their communities.

Cons

Walking out long time employees with security, reducing staff-patient ratios to dangerous levels, eliminating jobs, one 25 cent raise to non-union employees in six years while taking away overtime pay, paid holidays, longevity bonuses, and sick time--hard to watch! Firing people who speak out about their policies.

Advice to Management

1. Overhaul upper management--two people take over a half million dollars in wages. 2. Listen to the staff nurses--people are important! 3. A lot of money spent on advertising but family, friends, and neighbors are tired of watching people being treated so poorly and are going elsewhere for care--improve relations with your employees and the community will come back. 4. Don't spend dwindling healthcare dollars building a new hospital when you can't keep the old one filled.

7. Duke Lifepoint

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Marquette, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

excellent pt care [in the past] small community hospital with amenities of a lg center.Worked at MGH for 42 yrs and recently retired ,workload being one reason.

Cons

Since DLP took over staff has become dissatisfied with lost hours,coworkers terminated for questionable reasons.Management employees terminated and walked out the door in front of employees.Unsafe staffing ratios.Community in uproar over DLP's billing practices demanding cash up front if you want a service done like a heart cath or colonoscopy.People are fed up and going elsewhere.Small communities and word travels fast.Drink the Koolaid and smile .

Advice to Management

Quit walking people out the door.Rude. Give them a heads up their job is terminated.But then you would have to pay them their personal time whereas if you fire them you save all that money. Just treat the staff as the true gems they are, we dont work here for multiple years because we like low pay.Most of us actually liked our jobs.Treat us with respect which doesnt seem to be happening.Sad for such a wonderful hospital to be in such turmoil.

8. One of the best places to work . . . but only because there aren't other places to work

Current Employee - OR Support Tech in Marquette, MI
    Current Employee - OR Support Tech in Marquette, MI

I have been working at Marquette General Hospital

Pros

Insurance, even though the cost has risen a lot over the last few years, is very good and I am appreciative of it.

Working with good people makes coming to work fun.

Lots of discounts at local merchants for MGH employees!

Cons

After eleven years, I make about $3.50 more per hour than when I started. Minimum wage has risen about $2.00 per hour in that time, so it's effectively $1.50 more. Add in the higher insurance rates, and my take home pay is about the same it was when I started in relation to minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Re: senior management: Hard to say, I've hardly spoken to any of them. :)

Re: lower management: Much of the time they are too busy as they have less managers doing more work.

9. Big surgery in a small town.

Current Employee - Senior Surgical Technologist in Marquette, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Surgical Technologist in Marquette, MI

I have been working at Marquette General Hospital

Pros

Marquette General has allowed me to scrub a variety of cases in a variety of specialties ranging from general to neuro and cardiovascular surgeries. I like that I am able to participate in these larger cases while living in a smaller community, close to my family.

Cons

Like many businesses in this economic crisis, MGH is constantly restructuring. This is very frustrating because my immediate managers are always at meetings and are usually not available to deal with what is going on in the department.

Advice to Management

I realize that this restructuring needs to be done, but don't forget about our patients.

10. upper management, you want us to do how much for how little?

I have been working at Marquette General Hospital

Pros

co workers, your peers the paitients are very greatful

Cons

the upper management is not understanding in the way of needing more nurses and more employees to do a satisfactory job, employees are expected to do more ,and more with out the pay compensation

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

11. A great place to work for those who value the mission and work well as a team member.

I worked at Marquette General Hospital

Pros

Unique opportunity to positively impact future healthcare by participating in the education of young physicians.
    Small organization.

Cons

No windows. :-(
    Small organization.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with the worker bees, and continue to keep thier contributions in mind when accolades, especially within the larger affiliates, are mentioned.

RSS Feed </> Embed