Marquette University

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Marquette University President Dr. Michael R. Lovell

Dr. Michael R. Lovell

Pros
  • Great work environment, top technology, smart people (in 6 reviews)

• free tuition for kids after 5 years of tenure (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • At the top level, MU is run like a mom and pop grocery (in 3 reviews)

• Little or no possibility for career growth (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Adopt the party line

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed my work because it was an academic institution, so it felt good to contribute to the next generation of leaders and problem solvers. There is real meaning in that. I also worked directly with students, so I felt connected to the reality of their challenges and knew I made a difference in their education.

ConsThere is intense unspoken pressure to toe the party line, even at the expense of being authentic and feeling like you're making a real contribution. This pressure extends all the way up and down the food chain and puts unnecessary restrictions on getting a job done right. The leaders don't want to upset big donors, so they cow tow to the donors' out-of-date beliefs rather than have courage to have difficult conversations and agree to disagree.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice authentic leadership and develop resilience skills to help you a) face dilemmas with difficult options and b) remain accurate in your thinking. Otherwise, eventually the house of cards will fall.

Great Experience. WORKED in Athletics

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe team spirit is amazing. I loved working with the kids. Good people! Jesuits Rock!

ConsThe salary sucked and parking is bad if you don't have lots of seniority.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider revising pay structure for full-time employees.

Marquette University offers many employment opportunities for students and great benefits to full-time staff.

Limo Driver (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsTrusted company, training is provided, pay is competitive, easy to take time off, great benefits for full-time employees, comfortable work environment.

ConsLimits on hours, three-strike policy, unsafe neighborhood, some jobs limited to students, biweekly pay schedule, schedules can be unpredictable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work while in school

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGood culture, enjoy working with the students, love Milwaukee.

ConsLow hours and compensation here

Advice to Senior ManagementMore management involvement in labs.

good place to study and work

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

Prosequality
    friendly
    worked as an RA, the salary is okay according to the everyday cost in Milwaukee.

Conscold and long winter.
    Sometimes, it depends on your advisor regarding your progress.

Many Professional Development Opportunities. Very good benefits. Positive Workplace.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI really enjoyed my time at Marquette. I enjoyed working with the students and 99% of the people are a joy to work with. It is a very safe place to work. I always felt appreciated and felt like I made a difference.

ConsI was in a position where there wasn't a clear path towards advancement. At this current time there are many things in flux, so depending on the position this may not apply.
    Other places pay more, make sure you take advantage of the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementRebuild employee morale with the current shakeup.

Flexible work schedule - low pay - very little respect unless you are faculty

Staff (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsFlexible work schedule; free tuition for children; self/spouse

ConsNo respect for staff - tons of work - no such thing as a job description because they will keep adding more on to save money from hiring other people.

Takes you in happily, but wouldn't hesitate to throw you to the dogs

Student Worker/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsIf you are attending school or trying to get into one. Working for Marquette is a decent way of earning a living. In general the staff are all very friendly. As a student back then, it was an all right time.

ConsA lot of place around campus are still stuck in the stone age in terms of what they do/use to get their jobs done. Hell, I don't know how many countless times I had to assist professors with technology and software they were trying to teach, which they knew NOTHING about. And if things went wrong, blame normally got thrown everywhere but at the actual culprit(s).

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be for management to take a hard look of how disheveled their staff is nowadays and realize that before they go trying to put in a new fancy building or pick more impressive pieces of equipment, that they need the staff to back it up. Otherwise they are going to be stuck with a college that has no substance to it.

Great Place to Work, Low Compensation

ProsNice Environment, Low Stress, Friendly Co-Workers

ConsBeauracratic at Times, Low Hourly Rate

Advice to Senior ManagementLess Policies without Providing Reasons Behind the Policies

Good place to start your career

IT Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits are amazing, especially retirement match and tuition benefits. Marquette really invests in training, including conferences and technical training.

Good collaborative work atmosphere with friendly and helpful colleagues.

ConsToo many top-level leadership positions are currently open, leading to questions for the future. Current fiscal issues are also worrisome.

This is not an innovative, collaborative work environment. Projects must be approved to death before proceeding, which stifles creativity and leads to lost opportunities for improvement. On the other hand, important pet projects are rushed to completion without adequate preparation time, to satisfy key decision makers.

Pay is below average for industry.

Worked for Marquette University? Contribute to the Community!