Marriner Marketing Communications

True Talent

Current Employee - Accounts in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Accounts in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications

Pros

After working for a company where I was transferred alot and worked with many different teams l feel fortunate to have found Marriner where everyone is valued for their talents and supported wherever possible. Anyone who has been around the block enough will recognize what a great environment it is. The grass is always greener but if you know your stuff and want to do great work, you'll be in good company.

Cons

No place is perfect but any negatives are not worth mentioning.

It was disappointing and at times it was defeating.

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is ample parking when you arrive in the morning so that is good. When the vacuums are shut off by maintenance in the evening it is quiet so you can work as late as you would like. The ladies room was clean and tidy. That is three things.

Cons

The company is led by a few people who do not know too much about what they are doing. One has so little agency experience that she does not have a linked in page. Another knows more -- but is a such a soft touch that he is not too effective. The guy who actually runs this company is out of touch with the realities of the company.

While talent and smarts/solid agency experience are missing at the top they are more than made up for by aggressive managers who chew people up to get work out. The clients rule because the owners are holding on and hoping for luck to replace what is missing. A true commitment to doing the best for clients is not part of the thought process. It is more about getting things that clients like so they can be billed.

I worked hard there and when I got it right it was expected but when I made a mistake it was brow beating time. The company talks about values and family but the actions of mean spirited managers speak otherwise. My five years felt twice that long.

This company lives from day to day trying to exist. I thought it would be better than it was. Like I said… It was disappointing and at times it was defeating.

Think about replacing leaders with people who know what they are doing. And know that mean people are unforgivable.

A good place to start, but they just don't get it in the long run

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marriner is a good place to start - they'll give you chances and let you make mistakes. The people are nice and they all mean well. They are flexible about working from home and once you've worked at Marriner for a while they are flexible with leaving early or coming in late (within reason). When people are promoted from within the raises are much higher than at other companies. Oh and there's a beer and wine closet that you can help yourself to, whenever.

Cons

High turnover - especially among higher-ups. All of the real work is done by account executives and account supervisors. Many of the people have been there a long time don't separate their personal social lives with their work social lives. They get away with being outdated and using antiquated processes and practices because higher-ups either don't recognize this or are too afraid to say anything. Marriner doesn't know how to anticipate when people are going to leave even when it's obvious. We went almost a year without a Creative Director AND a Director of Digital. They rely on so few people to accomplish SO much work that there's no room for strategic thinking or to do anything even remotely cutting-edge. The higher-ups don't have a pulse on the importance of digital and they don't know how to bring in accounts people actually want to work on. Everyone is too stuck in the ways they've always done things.

Great Co-Workers, Bad Management

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at MMC was my co-workers.

Office culture promoted fun when I first started working there--yearly Crab Feasts, potlucks, etc.

I gained a hefty resume with tons of experience, which helped me get a very rewarding job when I left.

Please understand: from the first day of my employment to the day I left, these "Pros" had drastically changed.

Cons

Company culture took a turn for the worse when clients started leaving. Turnover in Accounts was huge--and often hidden from Clients.

There was too much focus on the hours in the day an employee needed to be there... If the work was done, it shouldn't matter if they're a minute or two late or need to leave early. There was no encouragement to have a healthy work/life balance.

So much creative was unoriginal and stale due to old-school thinking. New ideas were said to be encouraged, but were often shot down due to a lack of understanding.

Employees were often given multiple job titles and tasks due to understaffing, and then those same employees were punished when tasks weren't completed speedily. There was a lack of clear direction for employees and a lack of accountability for Directors.

Take a close look at Directors and the way they treat employees--really look at the way they make your company look. Like as a CEO you care more about the minutes spent on a job than the quality of the work getting sent to clients. Work on showing employees you support a healthy work-life balance.

Jan 20, 2015Controller

Thank you for taking the time to post this reply. We pay very close attention to exit interviews and reviews like this; they contribute to policy changes, cultural shifts and future staffing ... More

It's never enough

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, wonderful, creative people to work with. Punctuality is not demanded due to long hours. Pleasant work environment overall. Individuality is accepted.

Cons

Worked to a break down. No matter how hard one works, or how many hours one puts it, it is never enough. Too many projects and deadlines for anyone to handle. If you do manage to get most deadlines met by working 16+ hour days, weekends and holidays, you are awarded by getting more clients/work when someone leaves, because clearly you can handle the workload. The real reason is to keep overhead costs down by not hiring a replacement to do it. Then they complain when you can't make all the deadlines as there are no more possible hours you can work to do it all.

Doing an excellent job is not enough to get promoted. One must do their supervisors job too in order to be considered for a promotion. (that is a quote from management) They would rather hire an unknown from outside than promote proven team members from within. If you are given an opportunity for a promotion, it's on a trial basis where you do it for several months at your current salary before getting the official promotion and raise. Promotions are rare.

Clients have a lot of input on promotions and employment. If a client doesn't like you you are gone.

50% turnover in my department every single year I worked there. We couldn't remember everyone that came and went there were so many.

Jan 20, 2015Controller

We appreciate any and all feedback on our company. Like any Agency environment, there are instances where we may need to work longer hours to finish up a campaign or participate on a new business ... More

Mis-managed

Former Employee - Null in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Null in Columbia, MD

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting client work.
    Designers and Developers are great to work with

Cons

Difficult to work with management
    Under-educated staff - Account Teams
    Disjointed teams
    Poor communication company wide
    Zero room for advancement
    Abuse of resources

One of the main reasons I left is the difficult to work with management. The directors for the most part in both Account Management and Interactive do not allow any ideas from other teams/people to the table causing a one-man-show approach to the creative and development process. Un-original is what I would call most of the work heading into 2013. One would think at a creative agency this would not be the case, but it is. This poor management style that includes laughing in "subordinates" faces, telling them they are unintelligent, and belittling every idea that they have is what is causing staff and clients to leave in droves. Trust your resources/managers/staff opinions.... most of the time you will find out that they are absolutely right in what they are saying/proposing. In fact, I think over the past year, a third of the staff has left or been removed from a riff caused by clients walking out the door.

My advice to the CEO/Pres is to grow some and either refresh or start with a clean slate for the Directors in Interactive and Accounts in order to stop losing people and clients. They have zero respect for the CEO as overheard in multiple conversations and really have no interest in building the company up at all. Once this is done and re-focused, I think that this place could have great potential. The bones are there.

Jan 20, 2015Controller

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at Marriner. We are sorry it wasn’t all you had hoped. 2014 was a year of growth and evolution for us. We’re happy to say that we have ... More

Decent, but could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications

Pros

Fun atmosphere (most of the time), decent opportunity to further your skills, usually allowed to complete a project without being micro-managed

Cons

Location is only good if you live in Columbia because nearby roads are overcrowded. The company is somewhat stuck in their old ways, there's minimal or no opportunity for advancement (depending on your position), pay is somewhat low, and raises and promotions are usually meaningless-you will have a new title but do the same job (or more) for only an extra $2000/yr.

Instead of hassling employees if they are 15-20 mins late once in a while because of traffic, focus more on the quality of their work. Providing more competitive salaries will greatly reduce turnover and you will spend less on hiring/training new employees

Jan 20, 2015Controller

Thank you for your post regarding Marriner. In 2013 we moved our offices to a more convenient location in Columbia, right off of I-95. Along with the location change we added more collaborative ... More