Marriner Marketing Communications

3.9
Tighe Merkert

1. Featured Review

On the right path

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I truly love working at Marriner. I'm in an industry I enjoy, continue to be challenged everyday, and work with the best group of people in my career. As the marketing world continues to evolve, so do the opportunities to learn and grow. Management has been an advocate for me in continuing my professional development and offered me the opportunity to stretch my wings. Work-life balance has been great with the flexibility to work from home as needed.

I feel a true sense of teamwork at Marriner where everyone is in it together. We have built a family that relies on one another, and let's everyone have a voice. I couldn't imagine working with a better group of people.

Cons

Having been at Marriner for the past few years, I'm seeing an evolution. We've fought a siloed environment, but are evolving to a more integrated, collaborative workstyle. Though, with any evolution there are growing pains along the way. Processes need to change, we need to be open to fresh thinking and new ways of doing things. The culture is changing and we are experiencing the good and bad that goes with it.

As the marketing world is ever-changing, I feel that a more formalized program of training and education would be beneficial to all. We are a well-resourced agency with great industry partners we could tap for continued learning. It just needs to happen on a more regular basis.

Advice to Management

We are on the right path but need to continue to invest in our people, be open to new ideas and work together to push our company forward.

2. The best place in Baltimore to start is here.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place is perfect for you to start your career. You get to know exactly what it is like to work in a real ad agency. All of the thrills and spills are on display all day/every day. Why watch Mad Men when you can live it?

Cons

Better to give than receive. That stands for your opinion and your attitude. If you allow someone else to rule your day, you can just sit in the corner and cry about it later.

Advice to Management

Change "Marriner" to "Meanier" before some other agency takes it.

Rewarding internship

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Columbia, MD
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Columbia, MD

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications as an intern

Pros

As a student in my last year of college, I have been using glassdoor to research companies I am interested in. I interned for this company a number of times over my college breaks and find these reviews opposite from my experience. This is a well run and highly regarded agency with a focus in the food industry. I gained a great deal of experience in a wide range of marketing areas, including digital, brand management, and account strategy. I was able to build connections with and learn from a variety of employees. Everyone was helpful and the senior management clearly had deep knowledge of the industry. To top it off, the free samples from the clients (beer, chicken, cake) were always a bonus.

Cons

This wasn't an "easy" internship- they definitely kept me busy with the work. I wish I had more time to learn from the other employees.

Lacking Clarity

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creatives were a blast to work with. Benefits were definitely on par with other companies in the area... sometimes above. The yearly crab fest is a good time, right on the water outside Annapolis.

Cons

Clarity mantra has become muddled over the years. Senior leadership afraid of change, not willing to accept new ideas either creative or process. This top-down approach is hurting staff morale.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at the senior leadership... all of them, and decide who are practical to stay/who are not. Right now there is confusion about ownership of different items and what people's job titles really mean/what they entail. Managers are taking on unnecessary work and handing off things that are too significant for Jr. team members to take on. Some of this is due to lack of staff... so really taking a look at the business and what big salaries you can get rid of to make necessary new hires, is needed.

Change is difficult but if the top-down mentality is halted, all employees will continue to feel this muddled message of clarity.

Focus on new ideas, outside-of-the box strategy (stop re-gurgitating the old), and new processes that help not bottle-neck the company.

Good luck.

True Talent

Current Employee - Accounts in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Accounts in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications

Pros

After working for a company where I was transferred alot and worked with many different teams l feel fortunate to have found Marriner where everyone is valued for their talents and supported wherever possible. Anyone who has been around the block enough will recognize what a great environment it is. The grass is always greener but if you know your stuff and want to do great work, you'll be in good company.

Cons

No place is perfect but any negatives are not worth mentioning.

Great Co-Workers, Bad Management

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at MMC was my co-workers.

Office culture promoted fun when I first started working there--yearly Crab Feasts, potlucks, etc.

I gained a hefty resume with tons of experience, which helped me get a very rewarding job when I left.

Please understand: from the first day of my employment to the day I left, these "Pros" had drastically changed.

Cons

Company culture took a turn for the worse when clients started leaving. Turnover in Accounts was huge--and often hidden from Clients.

There was too much focus on the hours in the day an employee needed to be there... If the work was done, it shouldn't matter if they're a minute or two late or need to leave early. There was no encouragement to have a healthy work/life balance.

So much creative was unoriginal and stale due to old-school thinking. New ideas were said to be encouraged, but were often shot down due to a lack of understanding.

Employees were often given multiple job titles and tasks due to understaffing, and then those same employees were punished when tasks weren't completed speedily. There was a lack of clear direction for employees and a lack of accountability for Directors.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at Directors and the way they treat employees--really look at the way they make your company look. Like as a CEO you care more about the minutes spent on a job than the quality of the work getting sent to clients. Work on showing employees you support a healthy work-life balance.

Jan 20, 2015Controller

Thank you for taking the time to post this reply. We pay very close attention to exit interviews and reviews like this; they contribute to policy changes, cultural shifts and future staffing ... More

It's never enough

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I worked at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, wonderful, creative people to work with. Punctuality is not demanded due to long hours. Pleasant work environment overall. Individuality is accepted.

Cons

Worked to a break down. No matter how hard one works, or how many hours one puts it, it is never enough. Too many projects and deadlines for anyone to handle. If you do manage to get most deadlines met by working 16+ hour days, weekends and holidays, you are awarded by getting more clients/work when someone leaves, because clearly you can handle the workload. The real reason is to keep overhead costs down by not hiring a replacement to do it. Then they complain when you can't make all the deadlines as there are no more possible hours you can work to do it all.

Doing an excellent job is not enough to get promoted. One must do their supervisors job too in order to be considered for a promotion. (that is a quote from management) They would rather hire an unknown from outside than promote proven team members from within. If you are given an opportunity for a promotion, it's on a trial basis where you do it for several months at your current salary before getting the official promotion and raise. Promotions are rare.

Clients have a lot of input on promotions and employment. If a client doesn't like you you are gone.

50% turnover in my department every single year I worked there. We couldn't remember everyone that came and went there were so many.

Jan 20, 2015Controller

We appreciate any and all feedback on our company. Like any Agency environment, there are instances where we may need to work longer hours to finish up a campaign or participate on a new business ... More

Decent, but could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications

Pros

Fun atmosphere (most of the time), decent opportunity to further your skills, usually allowed to complete a project without being micro-managed

Cons

Location is only good if you live in Columbia because nearby roads are overcrowded. The company is somewhat stuck in their old ways, there's minimal or no opportunity for advancement (depending on your position), pay is somewhat low, and raises and promotions are usually meaningless-you will have a new title but do the same job (or more) for only an extra $2000/yr.

Advice to Management

Instead of hassling employees if they are 15-20 mins late once in a while because of traffic, focus more on the quality of their work. Providing more competitive salaries will greatly reduce turnover and you will spend less on hiring/training new employees

Jan 20, 2015Controller

Thank you for your post regarding Marriner. In 2013 we moved our offices to a more convenient location in Columbia, right off of I-95. Along with the location change we added more collaborative ... More