Marriott

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern at Corporate Tax Department

At Corporate Tax Department (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsGood work environment. My supervisors were willing to teach and help if you ask. They take good care of their employer, and it is a very positive and supportive environment, with good compensation. In return, I was motivated to work hard.

ConsStrict deadlines due to the nature of the tasks. The IT department is not the easiest to work with, not the most responsive.

Strong resume builder, but need to move on to move up

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsVery diverse company with many different job functions to expand your skill set.

ConsGood company if you want a long-term stable job without a lot of upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to promote from within faster (e.g. clear out dead wood faster)

So far, so good...

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsI've had the pleasure of dealing with some of the nicest, smartest, and most engaged people. The environment that I work in doesn't take itself too seriously and still gets a lot of work done. I enjoy having the opportunity to manage multiple projects simultaneously and interact with different disciplines throughout the company, globally. My manager is hands-on but doesn't micro-manage; my team is fun and helpful; my clients are mostly good to work with (though, I do have a few who are difficult) and let me be a strategic partner to them.

The company itself seems to care for its employees, though some may disagree. I personally have not experienced anything negative in that area. Marriott offers decent benefits, decent salary and bonus structure (for mgmt positions), a decent building (currently under renovations to increase collaborative work spaces) with an amazing cafeteria, a gym, fitness classes, innovative learning opportunities, volunteer opportunities, and social networking. Most opportunities for advancement are internal (some would say that's a con because it is hard to get into Marriott from the outside). Marriott is all about collaboration (sometimes, a little too much) among teams and flexibility. The company has a flexible workplace philosophy, which is mostly adopted and modeled by leadership. And, there are the discounts when you stay at specific Marriott properties (not all properties give them).

ConsThe biggest con for me is the vacation and salary. As a new hire - my vacation is terrible. Your vacation and sick time are combined and you only get 12 days total the first year. Plus, you accrue it so don't think about making plans until after the first year. This used to be different but recently changed to the new system. Also, the salary isn't that great for a company of this size (and span) but it's decent and they do have a decent bonus structure for management positions and above. The commute is long, but that's a personal choice (not the fault of Marriott).

And, depending on what discipline you're in - Marriott loves to restructure. I think my team has been restructured and placed under new management three or four times over the past several years. That doesn't help the team's morale or the appearance of stability.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Employer to Date

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsMarriott's culture of "employee first" is very strong, and because the culture is truly practiced, employees go above and beyond to be excellent. The atmosphere fosters collaboration, team work and innovation, resulting in the best service to our customers, earning our customers' loyalty.

ConsManagement don't always practice the Marriott culture, causing tension and stifling innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf several employees complains about a manager, especially over an extended period, it is time to take action and remove the weak links

10 years of progressive Hotel Operations experience with proven results

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsBest company to work for

Consexcellent benefits and employee training

Advice to Senior Managementdo not discriminate based on race and color

Fine place to start a career but advancement can be very slow.

Architecture and Construction (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsGood hours and benefits, work-life balance, exciting things happening in the company but it is not easy to get a job in new areas. Nice people and consensus organization style.

ConsHard to advance, very corporate, longevity is rewarded over skill and innovation, rigid structure of management

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunity to keep people interested in their jobs. Have job feedback be more personal and less "canned".

Marriott Employee Life

ECommerce PR & Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsManagement very hands off, positive atmosphere. Job stability. Office location very convenient. Marriott name looks good on resume.

ConsVery conservative culture... employees that are not married will have a harder time fitting in and more importantly, getting promoted (promotions seem to be given based upon how well employee is liked and not necessarily by performance). Office environment feels rather antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware that too many processes hinder the ability to innovate.

Marriott Corporate Internship

Intern (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsWorking within the Americas division exposes you to incredible senior leadership.

ConsWorking as an intern gives you very limited corporate strategic input .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving your college interns exposure to senior leaders. This type of culture is conducive to professional growth.

Great people, but bureaucratic management stifles innovation

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsThey have above average corporate facilities (cafeteria, open work space, fitness center, Starbucks) and benefits (education reimbursement, training, lodging discounts, health incentives). There is a genuine culture of employee appreciation (Associate Appreciation Week) and community engagement(Spirit to Serve day). My Marriott friends are the best, and I engage with them at every opportunity. Compensation was competitive, but the health plan was average/below average - I opted to get coverage through my wife's plan with Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Opportunities to travel to interesting locations for business or brand development at various levels, such as staff auditors, etc.

ConsWhile training and education discounts are offered, I found very little managerial support for advancement within or across functions. Networking is challenging in that there are many managerial layers to deal with. In my experience, only two people in my Information Resources (IT) department of 25 advanced to outside positions in 7 years, with only one going outside of IR. This particular group also spent a lot of time stepping over dollars to pick up dimes -in other words, they were more interested in creating processes to justify their existence than in delivering real value for end users in terms of ease of IT asset procurement and management. This is typical of many business support functions where Senior Directors are cowed by the SVP's to simply do as they're told. Recognition felt superficial and forced, and while some managers were capable of more, the default response to any service delivery issue was to kiss up and kick down. There is an uneven policy for flexible work arrangements, and that created a burden on those who are on site constantly putting out fires. The on-going organizational restructuring and outsourcing of Marriott's management services places a lot of stress on Associates who either leave for outside opportunities or grind it out while surrounded by increasing numbers of external vendors and consultants. They endure by escaping to the gym when the boss doesn't schedule a brown bag lunch meeting, or taking as many coffee breaks as they can.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a mentoring program that is tied to education and training initiatives taken by Associates. Internal managers are not always the best advocates for development, either due to feeling threatened/undermined, or losing a talented asset. While pursuing my MBA, I received encouragement, but nothing in the way of connecting to opportunities that leveraged my new skills. Implementing Learning Management Software is a great way to quantify skills and experience, but it is not a substitute for mentoring and cross training opportunities. There are way too many managerial layers, and that ends up stifling innovation and prudent risk taking. When you restructure or outsource, you lose capable people while retaining people who are are good at maintaining their own position and little else by creating and meeting bogus metrics. The outsourcing vendors may have better tools, but they will be most responsive when they are competing for renewed contracts. What will be their incentive to make a long-term investment in Marriott? Some Associates may be asking themselves the same thing. There are many strong Associates who are willing to see the restructuring through to the end, but will the new organization translate into success for Marriott's hotel partners and stakeholders?

Performance root cause analysis

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsProperty discount when booking Marriott or Ritz rooms. Visibility into different components of Marriott.com infrastructure. It gives you a chance to learn if this is what you want.

ConsAs far as I am concerned I did not see any Cons. For people who do not want to wark off hours it may be an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings in Bethesda, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by Marriott employees.