Marriott

Marriott Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department(in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members(in 63 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great People

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGetting to work with great people everyday made it easy to come to work.
    Great benefits, Well compensated and upper management is always look to advance the motivated!

ConsObviously, in the hospitality industry, long hours, weekends. Literally other than that the only part that is bad is the property management system. it is terribly old and very frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! change the PMS

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good company

Management (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsChallenging environment for mid-level employees

ConsLots of rules in a big corporate environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKept up the good work.

Great Company for benefits!!

Guest Services (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosthey have good benefits for employees

ConsSome of the leaders, especially people right out of college without experience of hourly jobs in does not connect with lower employees well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSergeants with experience are better leaders than Officers with degree but no experience

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, but can use some fine tuning

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Great Benefits
    -Great people
    -Great company that is continually growing

Cons-Long Hours
    -Unrealistic expectations and deadlines regarding the amount of work assigned to one person
    -High turnover
    -Very hard to move around within company

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no need for a 50 hour work week; hire more staff

I absolutely miss working at the marriott.

Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are great and everyone is always helpful. Good employees are recognized for their efforts. the process for choosing those who excel to the next level seems fair and good decisions are usually made.

ConsHours can sometimes suck, but that comes with the territory. Guests aren't always easy to deal with, but that comes with the territory. Pretty much before you come into this job you should research to find out what you may not like about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to focus on pinpointing those employees who want to make a career out of there employment and to focus on developing their skills.

You're going to need a lot of patience to work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place for advancement. Very equal opportunity employer. Lots of wonderful, really nice employees.

ConsI use to be very proud to say I work for this hotel. In the last 5 years the quality of upper management has gone so far down hill that I'm surprised that they still are in business. If it wasn't for the hourly employees, I'm not sure this place would still be in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and get more involved in the job you are there to do..

Above Property Role

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat leadership. Given the tools to excel at your job. Good training.

ConsWould be nice to have a little more guidance on processes as you have to be a little pro-active.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot a lot to complain about.

Good experience for a part time job while finishing school

Restaurant Server (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCo workers
    Flexible with school schedule
    Hourly wage higher due to being a low volume restaurant

ConsRestaurant volume-slow nights often
    Some disconnection between restaurant staff/manager and hotel manager

Company as a whole has great intentions but the follow through is lacking.

Group Housing and Billing Supervisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLarge company with many properties allows for many opportunities.

ConsCompany LOVES to "do more with less" and expects employees to just deal with extra work load.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work especially if you have a family

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI work at a sales office. The environment is great, my leaders are very understanding especially if it involves your family. They also try their best to make their employees happy, even if it's just free breakfast, or cake, or ice cream you could see their efforts. The training at Marriott is also great. I know that other hotel companies seek out Marriott trained people

ConsThe hours are long. It is 10 hours, sometimes even 11 hours. We are constantly busy and sometimes understaffed. I live close by so I can still be home by 6-6:30pm. But they have been good to me and I work with great people and that for me compensates. The pay is a little bit lower than other hotel chains but then again you need to think of what your priorities are. If money is your goal, then you might want to seek other hotel chains.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter judgement on who to pay more and who not to hire. Sometimes you need to pay more to keep good people or they go elsewhere.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!