Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awful

Bartender (Former Employee)
Melville, NY

I worked at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsThe money was good. No lack of hours if you wanted them. The hotel guests were very nice, and so were my co-workers

ConsThey had me on 80 hour work weeks as a bartender. I'd open at 10am, work until midnight or 1am, drive 45 minutes home, and be expected back for the same thing the next day. Managers were hundreds of yards away on offices, and kept liquor locked up. If I needed something there was no way to contact them. There was virtually no traing, the bar would get absolutely packed, and I was expected to serve food to tables. It was nearly impossible work, and SO poorly managed. I only wanted in the average range of 40 hours but was scheduled for SO MUCH WORK. Labor is one thing for 80 hours, customer service is one thing for 80 hours....but this was BOTH. Managed to keep my smile but inside I was dying. Then there were Sundays. 14 hour days with no customers. The mid-level managers were all young wannabees with NO idea what they were doing. Some were lazy and others were just incompetent or lacking the proper knowledge/background to run this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously get your acts together. There needs to be food runners...phone access to necessary people, bartender access to liquor, and management willing to help if a massive crowd hits. I have worked in dives that were run heads above this. I was truly astounded at the lack of restaurant know-how displayed by a long standing corporation

The supervisors suck

Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Marriott full-time

ProsGetting hook ups to almost any type of event in the city.

ConsThe management sucks. The asst general manager is the only one who actually deserves her job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe gm should figure out a way to provide free breakfast, coffee, and parking so that the guests are happy versus blaming her staff. Also she should stop hiring friends and hire people who are actually able to lead a team in a positive, firm, and fair manner.

Good for your resume, but very unstable company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott as a contractor

ProsSome benefits in terms of staying at Marriott hotels while vacationing. Chance to work from home up to 3 days a week.

ConsJust in 2013 around 10% of Marriott workers just lost their jobs due to outsourcing and this number is rising.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you're OK with being part of a large organization, this place is the best.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

ProsMarriott has earned its reputation as a world-class organization. The benefits are terrific but even more is the spirit to serve that is imbued in each employee and manager. The selling point of "People are our best asset" that has become very common across domestic companies these days has become overused and almost void of any meaning but with Marriott, it is actually true.

ConsVery bureaucratic environment and not a lot of room to be creative. There is the right way to do things, the wrong way and the 'Marriott Way'. If you want a free hand with how you carry out your duties, than Marriott is not the place for you. Managers have a tendency to micro-manage and in some cases, be very petty with how you communicate. Expectations are often made clear to you after the fact, not before and usually to your disadvantage.

Senior Administrative Assistant

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly people, hotel discounts, benefits

ConsMinimum recognition, expect more for less

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees

General Manager Residence Inn

General Manager (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMarriott provides very good training and loves to take care of the guest.

ConsAll managers work very long hours, to include weekends and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and they will take care of you..

Used to be a people company, now the focus is all $$$ for corporate and executives

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMarriott was a company founded on an understanding of taking care of it's people so they would take care the customers. For many decades that was the case and may still be the case in some areas, but the tides have been changing since J.W. Marriott Jr. stepped down as CEO.

ConsA lot of senior leadership have risen to their positions based on tenure at the company, not necessarily based on expertise in their fields. This lack of expertise of people in powerful positions can and has lead to poor judgement and decisions on strategic directions, which in turn can and will have business ramifications far into the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and nurture people that are smarter that yourself and are willing to speak up and make a difference, rather than the people that will just tow the line and do whatever you tell them to do. Same goes for management, speak up and make a difference when you don't agree with something instead of just letting things happen.

Buddy Buddy system for promotions

At Your Service Agent (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Prosweekly pay,great health,dental,eye care benefits

Conslow pay, managers only promote employees who they favor,raises cut off at least then 12 bucks for front office, managers are bosses not leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees as much as you spend decking out each property

Summer Analyst, Corporate FP&A

Summer Analyst (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat name, great brand, market/industry hospitality leader.

ConsVery hierarchal (lot's of layers), old corporate feel (i.e. people have been there a long time), not very innovative/lean

Advice to Senior ManagementA summer rotational program (2-3 weeks in each role) would allow someone to see more aspects of marriott- from corporate to field work.

My experience at Marriott has been good.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are great, and the company provides decent benefits. And the discounts are awesome. Some of the guests are cool to meet.

ConsIt's hospitality so the hours are awful. You start either too early in the morning or end too late at night, and you never get weekends or holidays off. A lot of guests are very demanding and abusive to staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe philosophy of Marriott is putting employes first. More can be done for employees to make this promise a reality.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 992 reviews posted anonymously by Marriott employees.