Marriott

3.7
1,447 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great paying first job. If you get to know managers well it pays off to be good friends with them.

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Pay. Great atmosphere.

Cons

Alcohol is sold to customers at pool, and it is hot outside in the summer, so they can get a temper real quick.

Make sure you check in on the employees and see if they have any complaints you can fix.

Overall great experience as a Lifeguard at Gaylord Texan's Paradise Springs (run by Marriott)

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

More than adequate pay for a lifeguard. Training through Ellis and Assoc. Paid hourly wages throughout training and in-services. Really awesome co-workers and Lifeguard Leads. It was my understanding that it was fairly easy to get promoted to a Lead if you had worked a previous summer.

Cons

There was a pretty tedious "New STAR Orientation" that was almost useless for lifeguards, as we worked at a separate facility. But it was only two days and we were paid hourly wages for the entire thing. Not good if you're looking for a permanent position, as lifeguarding is seasonal.

Consider omitting Paradise Spring staff from New STAR Orientation, as it mostly covers hotel policies that do not apply to Paradise Springs.

Not a great place to work.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing that I enjoyed about being a front desk agent for Marriott Springhill Suites was greeting and interacting with the guests.

Cons

Training was lacking, co worker relations were crappy, and the pay was peanuts. No one that I came into contact with besides the GM had been there over six months. You get no breaks, and scheduling is terrible. I inquired about meal breaks and was told that there are none, told by the GM if you need to eat for medical reasons pop something in your mouth and keep working. During days of inclement weather the try to force you to stay over to work. I stayed with Marriott all of 1 week. I have a CS and PR background but since having a baby I have stayed home. I was looking for something to bring in extra cash for holiday traveling. Fortunately, I was in a position to say "no thanks" to working in a place that cares so little for the employees.

Caring more about your employees will decrease turnover. We can't even get a 15 minute break so there's no wonder why no one stays!

Working at the Gaylord Texan is awesome

Current Employee - Concierge in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Concierge in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees, the atmosphere, the guests.

Cons

Walking to the employee parking at night in the dark.