Marriott Reviews

3.6
Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson
1 Rating

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits a lot of recondition programs (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs (in 50 reviews)

• Long hours when the hotel is busy (in 79 reviews)

Spa Attendant

Current Employee - SPA/Pool/Laundry Attendant in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - SPA/Pool/Laundry Attendant in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management and workers! Had a great time working there but it is now time to move on to my career.

Cons

Good pay during the busy time of the year but average to decent pay when we aren't in season.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what they have been doing. Great job overall. Maybe to adjust the positions slightly. For example, weekends, have a separate pool attendant and laundry attendant as to doing both.

2. Prejudice Supervisor, Unaccountable Management , Insufficient Time for workload, don't care about employees

Current Employee - Housekeeper, JW Desert Springs Marriott in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Housekeeper, JW Desert Springs Marriott in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a nice hotel to work at, mostly nice staff, great benefits, excellent customer service, good safety standards, free lunch

Cons

Prejudice supervisor who made it unbearable for me to get into learning my position, catty co-workers, insufficient time for workload, confusion , careless management, unaccountability, poor communication . I was also unable to switch to a position that better fit my skills.

Advice to Management

Do not allow for prejudice people to manage oncoming staff and expect them to learn their jobs under stress from demeaning superiors. The work load was impossible for the allotted time to finish in a timely matter . Also no sense of unity amongst employees or staff which made for occasions of confusion and poor communication. Get rid of the employee hotline its pointless and unacceptable. Higher fair and competent supervisors to train and manage staff.

3. Sending Invoices, Accounts Payable, and General Entries

Former Employee - Accountant in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Marriott full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible with schedule for family events, etc..

Cons

Wages, advancement placement is not exciting

Advice to Management

Advancement is important and should be to senior management.

5. It was a good learning experience. Good market research.

Current Employee - Bartender in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Ability to transfer to any job or company location in the world.

Cons

Very large company, so chain of command is counterproductive and redundant in key area's.

Advice to Management

Better communication among staff of every level...

6. The JW Marriott is a nice place to work, but of course has its downsides.

Current Employee - SPA Concierge in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - SPA Concierge in Palm Desert, CA

Pros

Good Benefits, transferring with the company easy, good about requesting time off (Flexable scheduling), paid weekly, great hotel and vacation discounts.

Cons

Pay is terrible compared to competing resorts, communication is lacking, constant disorganization, incompetent management, no consistency, favoritism, too much gossip, associates talking down to others, dicipline principles don't apply to certain other associates, protocols do not get executed properly amongst others.

Advice to Management

Managers should know how to work our SPA system, consistency would help make work a better place. Favoritism to other associtates will cause a high turnover rate for those who work their butts off, but still get lectured and diciplined. If you have rules, they should apply to EVERYONE. The employee cafeteria needs to serve better, edible food. I have gotten food poisoning 3 times. It is not acceptable to serve employees terrible food. JW marriott prides themselves in in treating associates as guests, yet it would not be acceptable to serve your guests the "FOOD" you serve us.

Showing 5 of 2,102 reviews