Marriott

3.7
1,449 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a excellent place to work at

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get to work by myself

Cons

Should have a lots of overtime

Should have overtime at least once a month

Great company, Great experience!

Former Employee - Rooms Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Rooms Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Comprehensive Training
    Advancement Opportunity
    Great Overall Culture
    Team/Family feeling among all departments

Cons

Difficult, extremely busy downtown market.

Working here is very interesting and requires a high tolerance for incompetence.

Current Employee - Server in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Server in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The guest are great and you gain a large amount of experience.

Cons

The management is very unorganized and bad at communicating. Also most of the management is very young and inexperienced. This inexperience attributes to bad decision making and unwillingness to take advice from seasoned employees.

I would hire management or supervisors that have more experience in the industry and are willing to take advice from all around. Also train the employees to better work as a team rather then against each other.

General Manager Residence Inn

Former Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Marriott provides very good training and loves to take care of the guest.

Cons

All managers work very long hours, to include weekends and holidays.

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you..

Depends on the brand

Current Employee - Stewarding Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Stewarding Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, PTo time and flexibility .YOu can usualyy get time off when you need it. Like if you want four days you can take thurs to sunday and will not lose pay

Cons

Mangers are two faced . nothing is ever said in confidence. You have to work turn arounds.There is never enough staff.And if you complain to management .They talk about you behind your back

Need to hire more proffesional people .THe managers are ghetto,nevewr take anyone seriosly and will never try to help you. you have to fu=igure everything out on your own

A Once Great Company In Decline

Current Employee - Front Desk in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Can work anywhere in the world and virtually the same systems will in place - "brand standards."

-Many people circulate within larger hotels, so you can have the good fortune of working with many of the same great associates.

-When corporate culture that is portrayed as standard is in place, this is a fabulous company with high morals, and quality associates and managers.

-All sorts of interesting people come through the door as associates and many good times are had. We are a family unit under the best of circumstances.

Cons

-Marriott has been for about 5 years now doing everything they can to cut expenses, no matter the consequences towards our core goals as a company.

-Lack of consistency within management towards guests and associates. Guests are given the benefit of the doubt - even when they are abusive towards staff. Guests are rewarded with comps and upgrades for bad behaviour in many circumstances.

-GSS (Guest Satisfaction Survey) is given too much credence as a tool. Careers/Reviews are made and broken based on a flawed mechanism of survey. In a busy conference hotel we may have 15,000 check-ins per month, perhaps 100-200 or so guests will return surveys, and based on that feedback we get our scores of Overall Satisfaction, etc. Too much emphasis is pushed through this mechanism via corporate, however the reality is the owners (not Marriott) don't care as long as the hotel makes money.

-Punitive actions are not consistent. Rules are enforced one month and not the next, etc. There will be concerted pushes by managers to push certain associates out for minor infractions, that other associates will just be talked to about given the same circumstances.

A return to Core Principles. Making Happy Associates make for Happy guests. As Mr. Marriott has transitioned out of the company these last years so has that old adage, and it is a shame.

Educational but quite demanding.

Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Marriott

Pros

They have a great benefit plan and a large focus on associate satisfaction. A lot of employees recognition programs as well.

Cons

They should direct some of their associate focus to Management recognition as well. Required extensive overtime without compensation for salaried employees.

They have very good core values for employee retention. Sometimes they lose focus of those values and employees lose confidence in them.

Short and Sweet Marriot Review

Current Employee - Secretary in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Secretary in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Very friendly and very good pay. I think that more people should come to the marriot to work because if you ask me, i think that it is very good pay and also that you should spend more nights there for the amazing service. The staff is friendly which makes it very easy to make friends while working at the marriot. i would like to work there for a while given the fact that i have friends there and my boss is a very nice and highly educated person which whom i love working with. i love working there a lot! ! ! !

Cons

People can be very mean. When people are rude, man that really upsets me. I try to be nice to them and not lose my cool but sometimes I just can not help it. Although taking yoga can really calm me donw. I feel that sometimes my boss can be a little cheap like for instance with the amount of break we get and the vacation we get... but overall this is a very good place and I do not have much to complain about at all really. I plan on working there for a while, very good service and industry.

You are doing an awesome job!