Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Starting Place at Courtyard

I have been working at Marriott part-time

ProsFor someone with a future in Hotel industries and studying it in school great starting spot and the job expirence is invaluable. Learned alot and its a very nice hotel easily one of the top in town.

ConsCommunication is poor, departments dont get along management wise. In a smaller town the amount of canidates for certain positions must be lacking because some of the hires are head scractching. Im just here to learn and this place has plenty good and bad to take forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a franchised hotel so I will not knock Marriott, the company that owns us sucks and I wish Marriott would get in the owners of the hotel more and not let them cut so many corners. Hurting the name Marriott which I am proud to work for.

Amazing introduction to the hospitality industry.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great policies, and a very guest-oriented view of the hotel world.

ConsDepending on franchise owner, can be rather bad at keeping employees happy, which is a big part of the Marriott philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sell your hourly staff short! They dedicate a lot of time and effort to the company, often at the expense of big portions of their personal lives; it's important to recognize and reward these workers when possible. I've always been treated very well, but I have seen some employees who have not.

Great Place to work

Assistant Director of Finance and Accounting (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMarriott was a great company to work for. They offered flexible schedules, great work enviorment, lots of employee benefits/Perks and the company provides all kinds of tools and resources to support work needs.

ConsI worked property side and in order to advance your career you have to be willing to relocate (often). You have to be willing to move when there is an opening available. there really isn't a way to "correct this" it is the natural flow of how it has to work, it just didn't work well for where I needed to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the company has it nailed down and does a great job over all. So, just keep doing what you're doing.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee)
Marco Island, FL

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery stable company, they take good care of the associates

ConsPay scale is low to begin with, there is room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementSome upper level managers will promote younger associates over older ones, even if the older candidate is more qualified. That is why I left the company.

Was a great decision to join the Marriott International team

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture is very inviting and energizing. The company is structured with programs that really show how important the associates, community, and guests are to the business. There are many different career paths and opportunities for anyone who is interested in pursuing growth and development.

ConsBenefits plans are equivalent to other companies of similar size and scope.

Great company - worked when other people weren't working.

Front Desk Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, strong management team, motivated co-workers. I loved the perks of the employee discounts for friends and family. Overall, I really liked working there.

ConsThe main reason I left was because I found myself working the most when my friends and family weren't working (nights and weekends) - it's the nature of working for a business where they never close the doors!

Marriott GRS&CC is Ranked #1 in San Antonio, TX

Administrative (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMarriott gives you the skills that you are going to need when you are ready to start a career outside of hospitality. The benefits package that you receive is awesome. The people are some of the closest to family that you will ever have.

ConsThey push career progression but only a select few can handle to responsibility. The problem is that most of the people that are put into these roles are highly over qualified and the rest are severely under qualified. Becoming a manager requires nothing other than waiting for your turn rather than merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more capital into your associates rather than your guests and you will see major differences!

Great

Bistro Server (Current Employee)
Denton, TX

I have been working at Marriott part-time for more than a year

ProsRegular wage plus tips. The hours are easy and management works with your schedule

ConsSometimes slow in the evenings.

it is a great place to work.

I have been working at Marriott

Prosfun, fast, fair, great team

Conshourscan be difficult if you have a family

Awesome , very professional

Cook II (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat location and great hourly wage

ConsGetting to know their kitchen

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice , they were awesome

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 996 reviews posted anonymously by Marriott employees.