Marriott

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.6 1,200 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department(in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members(in 63 reviews)

1,200 Employee Reviews

Great Company for Career Growth

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsGood career growth opportunities
    Very Diverse

ConsIf you want to move up, you have to network. But that's true just about anywhere, right?

Marriott International

ProsMarriott International is by far the best company I have had the opportunity to work for. With the offering of health insurance, 401K and the chance to move up in the company not many can beat it.

ConsHours are sometime a bit inconvenient at times, which really isn't an issue. The only con i can think of is that other hotel companies seem to pay more.

Great Advancement

Bartender (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe people and atmosphere is great. Management, benefits and pay was great.

ConsCorporate companies are hard to work for, constant annoying changes and sometimes the change makes the situation worse. One ex : Restaurant employees now have to wait 2 weeks for a check so all the CC tips can automatically be taxed. Servers and bartenders are in the industry to have their tips that day not 2 weeks later

Advice to Senior ManagementThe guest are important not your meal coming out on time, just for you to close it out to an account. Do more for the employees. Doubletree was a smaller hotel and had bonus, rewards and free trips for each employee but with Marriott you had to win it in a drawing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It depends

ProsBetter than average benefits, great discounts, opportunities to transfer,
    Word of advice: avoid smaller properties (Courtyard, Residence Inn) unless you want to be on a shorter track to GM as you will end up with more work and less pay

ConsTransfer process is not good. If an associate has a good review, there current manager should not be required to give a reference as I have had managers at different properties basically screw me over so that I would be stuck with them. Also managers should be more receptive to employees trying to transfer from different departments.
    The tuition reimbursement program is great except for the fact that you have to jump through flaming hoops.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider associates that would like to transfer from other departments. Current associates should be given first priority or at least an interview for openings.

life as an employee of Marriott

Bistro Attendant (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsMarriott has wonderful benefits and I would recommend them to anyone looking for employment.

ConsThe pay is not as great as one would think.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

FIne

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosclose to home and good training

Conspretty bad communication and benefits. it was union, so difficult to get rid of bad employees

Great Employer. Takes Care of the Employee

ProsAlot of advancement available. Alot of knowledgable people to learn from

ConsI have nothing bad to say about the company!!

"Spirit to Serve" is their philosophy.

General Manager (Current Employee) Williamsport, PA

ProsVery good company to work for. They care both for the Marriott emotes as well as the Marriott guests.

ConsLong hours, perhaps. But the rewards are great!

Advice to Senior ManagementMarriott's upper management is in the loop as to their brands - Keep it up!

Amazing experience

Anonymous (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsVery team oriented, each and every employee is cared about and taken care of by management. Very fun company, always holding events to keep employee morale high and keep employees motivated.

ConsCan be overwhelming at times

Marriott is a Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHotel Benefits
    Fun atmosphere
    Great start for hospitality

ConsAngry guests
    Long days
    Some managers not helpful

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!