Marriott Reviews

3.7
1,292 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Extraordinary

Former Employee - Senior Event Operations Supervisor  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Event Operations Supervisor in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management really cares about employees and their development, associates have the opportunity to be double coded, Mr. Marriott visits property and is genuinely happy to greet staff, company allows associates to spend quality time with their families

Cons

Overcoming the gossip amongst staff, staff isn't supportive of others who have been promoted, oftentimes associates don't have the proper tools to effectively do their jobs and at times feel management doesn't care

Make time to listen to associates concerns and give undivided attention when listening to them. Management needs to realize that L- Listen.E- Empathize.A- Apologize - .R- React or Respond .N- Notify. also applies to associates as well as Hotel guests and to remember Mr. Marriott's Motto, if you take care of the associates, the associates will take care of the customers and the customers will come back is very true.

Great job

Former Employee - Night Auditor  in  Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at Marriott part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job great app don't know what I would do without it now great app would recommend to everyone

Cons

No cons every thing is great working for a company weather part time or full time hope my words could help someone

Great job

My days at the Marriott. Where the long days and even longer nights pay off... sometimes.

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work atmosphere to thrive and learn in one of the top hospitality companies. And the ability to meet new people and network.

Cons

There really isn't even that many cons besides the management companies that can take over the franchised hotels. In my time here we have had many management companies come and go and I won't say who but the current one is a terrible company to work for.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marriott Select Service Hotels - Residence Inn Example

Former Employee - Security  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Security in Washington, DC

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at a Select Service Marriott Hotel will give you experience in all area of hotel operations if you want to seek it out. My last hotel had nearly 200 rooms and only 40 employees. Plan on working in at least two different hotel departments on a regular basis from the department your job position is written for. Now this can be fun and rewarding but depends heavily on the small management team and that during low occupancy one maybe doing the work of 2 or 3 paid employees during a high season. Your pay doesn't increase with the work load and you always have to keep up your primary job duties just like that was your only 40 hrs assignment.

Cons

The hourly pay at Marriott Select Service hotels is usually $3 -4 dollars less than that same position summary at a Full Service hotel and again the work load and working outside of your job description happens every day. There are very few if any leadership position to move up into. If you want to move up in your Marriott Career then don't stay at a Select Service hotel more than 2 years. Learn your job, get the managers to write a strong yearly evaluation on you and FORCE THEM TO GIVE YOU A COPY OF THE EVALUTION FOR YOUR RECORDS. My previous hotel only did yearly evaluations on only about 25% of the staff.

No upward movement

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

I love my job position.

Cons

The pay is not good

There is nothing they can do from what I was told

Great company to work for!

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture and values. Cross trained in a variety of settings to gain a lot of experience. The hotel was really a tight-knit group and really came together to exceed guest expectations. Direct supervisors were great and empowered me to always act how I saw fit.

Cons

The hours could be very long and tiring. Sometimes felt understaffed. My work-life balance didn't feel great at the time, I should have asked for more time off!

Marriott Internship

Former Employee - CollegeHuman Resources  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - CollegeHuman Resources in Lexington, KY

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for growth within the company. They love to let you work in other areas and are more than willing to help you succeed wherever you are. Every employee does their best to make guests stay the best possible.

Cons

Hospitality takes a variety of different hours to make it successful. Some late nights, weekends or holidays will be necessary, but the values and benefits make up for it. Sometimes you will get grumpy guests, but a smile and a positive attitude can help you get through it while pleasing your guest.

Great company,Franchise not so good

Current Employee - Night Auditor  in  Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Macon, GA

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

Marriott corporate is great company to work for.

Cons

franchise is not so great independently owned an operated do not follow the way corporate dose things can be tough and you can grt stuck the without being able to advance

Great company, plenty of opportunities

Current Employee - Rooms Operations Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Rooms Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a lot of growth within Marriott and plenty of ways to try different departments. If you want to stay local there are places to transfer within, but you also have the option to move abroad.

Cons

If you're in a front-of-house position, your hours are probably going to be unstable, which can be rough on a work life balance. But Marriott encourages that you take the time to make your schedule work for you.

Family-like environment

Former Employee - Operations Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, family-like environment, and the company really goes out of their way to serve their guests to their full potential.

Cons

Low pay for front desk associates, not too much room for growth or advancement, long / random hours that require working on weekends.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!