Marriott

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,220 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,220 Employee Reviews

Great Company for Career Growth

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsGood career growth opportunities
    Very Diverse

ConsIf you want to move up, you have to network. But that's true just about anywhere, right?

Great company, Great experience!

Rooms Operations Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsCompetitive Salary
    Comprehensive Training
    Advancement Opportunity
    Great Overall Culture
    Team/Family feeling among all departments

ConsDifficult, extremely busy downtown market.

Marriott is great

Prosgreat company to work for

Consno cons that I can think of

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful experience. A great employer to learn about customer service.

At Your Service Agent (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsOpportunity for growth, customer-focused company

Conshospitality hours (you're probably going to work holidays, nights and other times)

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and promote those with potential quickly, otherwise you'll lose them.

Marriott offers great benefits.

Associate (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits, hotel perks are awesome as Marriott hotels are worldwide. Marriott associates are very professional and exceptionally friendly.

ConsThere was a lack of professional and personal growth in our department. This industry relies heavily on high and low season which makes it difficult to have financial stability during off seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value certain employee, ensure that you are in touch or aware about their professional development needs.

Front desk in Newport Beach, CA

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsGreat co-workers, fun work environment, but also high employee standards. If you like customer service you will love working for Marriott.

ConsVery poor management. Terrible, long and sometimes back to back hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN. Train everyone thoroughly. They don't get enough training and that effects the guest experience and also the employees.

Wonderful and they work well with student schedules

Waitress and Barista (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsFlexible with student schedules and a fun environment

ConsSometimes the hours were very long. 10 hr waitress shifts and banquets ending at 2 in the morning.

My Housekeeping Manager Experience at Courtyard

Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) Bethlehem, PA

ProsOpportunity for advancement, benefits, promotions. Job is very dynamic, and you always meet good people where you learn from and help you throughout your job.

ConsLike in any hospitality industry, you know when to start working, but due to the nature of business itself, you do not know when to finish

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors and managers should have assistants in order not to extend the long hours of work into one employee.

Great experiences, great people!

At Your Service Agent (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsWork-life balance was great! Several discounts with different affiliated companies. Great benefits. Endless amounts of opportunities to move up the ladder. Compensation was always the highest in comparison to the competitors.

ConsFormer and some current people in leadership that bends the rules too often and not following policy guidelines. Too many people using FMLA as an EXCUSE for everything (i.e. used to get days off if they don't want to work) and not what it was intended for. Besides that, everything was great!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training may be very helpful for many of the employees that consistently make errors. Seniority shouldn't give someone an excuse to get away with something (i.e. constant tardies and/or call-offs).

Wonderful company, Many perks, and plenty of room for growth

Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsThe perks of working at Marriott are great. Hotel discounts, connections, etc.

ConsHotels are 24/7, so you will most likely be working a lot of hours, weekends, and holidays.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!