Marriott

3.7 1,173 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

1,173 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling"
    in 55 reviews
Cons:
  • "Salary, Management does not listen, work life balance does not exist"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members"
    in 57 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Marriott detroit

Cook (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsThe money and that's it

ConsHorrible management will stab you in the back if you're not in they're click

High Turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits ! If you go with marriott I suggest select service! Full Service is awful !

ConsLong hours pm shift all the time favortism but thats with any company pay is awful for all that you do

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay and oppurtunites for front desk! Front Desk is the most important next to housekeeping and both departments gets over looked

Horrible Management. No raises - reviews - promotions EVER. No vacation time EVER guaranteed. EVERYONE dissatisfied.

Banquet Server (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsMy co-workers were fantastic people. They really do become your family. These people will become the glue that holds you together. Which is a big reason why I last about 4 years at this company. Good hotel discounts during certain times of year

ConsYou will never get a raise...unless you get promoted...but YOU WILL never get promoted. They will hire someone outside the company that will not last 6 months. I asked for a promotion 3 times...given the same excuse EVERY TIME...but I was never given a chance. They will spout off to you about how someone is more educated and is better and more qualified THAN you. This will happen NO MATTER who you are. They do not value lasting reliable workers...and in the service industry...that is what is most important...YOUR EMPLOYEES...Than come the guests...because with no employees...you won't have anyone to serve your precious guests!

You will never be guaranteed a vacation. After 3 years of hard work. I was scorned for taking 6 days off to visit a sibling. Even if your fill out the required paperwork...be assured you will still be scheduled during the time you requested off! They will drill into your mind that you are there for the job and it all depends on business, but it's not realistic to spend your life worrying about a seasonal job that is only somewhat busy 5 to 6 months out of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing honest hard- working people to the side and give them raises and promotions.. This gets old after a while...and you're great employees WILL leave, I promise you that. Offer advancement whenever possible and keep the workers you know that are irreplaceable happy..You won't ever regret that..What you will regret is interview after interview...and turn over to turn over wasting your precious time and energy.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sad to see the gradual destruction of this company

ProsThe only pro about this company is Mr Marriott himself.

ConsEverything is bottom line like any big corporation. Employees do not matter anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch for Unions you no longer are capable of taking care of your employees

Former RM

ProsGreat place for lip service. If you want to move up in the organization, you must be buddy with your boss.

ConsNo opportunities for non-minority in advancement. No consideration whatsoever on length of empoyment.

worst work ever in my life

Senior Maintenance II (Current Employee)
    Caracas, Capital District (Venezuela)

ProsCoWorkers are friendly. Have probabilities working over the world

Consthey treat you like you are worthless. Even your bosses lies so that they dont get punish by the corporation meanwhile they make the workers suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the people who work in Marriott. If you like to work in a hotel try to work in an marriott hotel non franchise. People who work in franchise all the time are the most use and less paid all the time..

Horrible, inconsistent, run down, lack of support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMarriott brand, landscape, parking, hotel discount

Conslack of team environment, no communication, smells like sewage, poor leadership, human resources is not supportive of the employees, negativity surrounds the resort.

Advice to Senior Managementchange the management

poor working conditions

Prosthere were none, I did not learn a thing and felt undervalued

Consdo not value staff, management are rude, it was very low pay

Advice to Senior Managementrespect staff more

I loathe being a banquet server.

Banquet Server (Current Employee)

ProsMy starting pay was $10.25 and I like the majority of the people I work with.

ConsI don't have the personality for this job.

The hours are terrible. The only guarantee is that I can never make weekend plans. I either have to be at work a 5am and work into the afternoon or work until 1-2am, and most of my shifts are 10-12 hours long. I hate dealing with and cleaning up after the snooky customers, I hate having to move heavy s*** all day, my boss is an anal-retentive blow hard. Everything is broken and there's rarely enough supplies for me to do my job properly.

It's the standard "too much work for too little" situation. The job is far from mentally stimulating yet physically demanding. Staff moral is always low, and if I hear one more empty "you're the face of the company! smile! we couldn't do any of this without you!" comment, I'm going to lose my mind.

Take this job if: you enjoy mindless busywork that will last into the early morning ("oh, I know it's 2:30am and you've been working for 10 hours, but you have to polish this tub of silverware before you go") , cranky coworkers, being on your feet for 9+ hours a day, carrying/pushing heavy carts full of dishes from one end of a hotel to the other, like working on weekends and having 0-to-no social life.

This job is good for high school students who need money and don't know any better. It was my mistake taking the job in the first place and I'm counting down the days until my last shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf something is broken or if there isn't enough dishes/silverware, etc., BUY IT FOR YOUR STAFF! The job is thankless and annoying enough but WE are the ones that get all of the complaints from the customers, not you.

Hated it

Shipping Attendant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThere was a relaxed atmosphere.

ConsThey had a very unprofessional workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop messing around before you get fired. You are the reason why the hotel is doing poorly.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 1,173 reviews posted anonymously by Marriott employees.