Marriott

3.7
1,454 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

sr engineerIII

Former Employee - Senior EngineerIII in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior EngineerIII in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work life balance hotel room discounts paid vacation

Cons

you never no what youll be doing day to day

change benefits and give more cost of liveing raises and promote employees from within co instead of cheating a 10 yr employee like i was cheated out of being promoted

One of worst companies to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ware, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ware, England (UK)

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Nothing. No benefits.
    I was told free food on my first day of start.

Cons

1. Horrible food (Used food) in dinner time.
    2. When I started I asked one of my trainers what benefits do I get in marriott. I got the answer free food. I was shocked to hear that because i was expecting pension, critical illness, share save, child care voucher. Well Nothing of that sort.
    3. The managers are crap. They dont know what they are doing and the marriott is working because of its entry level young boys and girls. They work for 16-17 hours with a smile but management keep on pushing them.
    4. We have a director of operations who is so rude that everytime she speaks she shouts on you. People and staff are so unhappy with her attitude.
    5. I have a manager who is only 2-3 months old. Since she has come in everyone has tried to build a good rapport but she is on different island.
    6. Horrible working patterns, long shift hours, angry managers always.

Trust me this place is so horrible to work for. In my 10 year career so far I am shocked to see an employer like this who does not care for its employees.

There is hardly any retention rate in the hotel because of the Senior management who thinks that they govern themselves on the staff.

Change senior managment. A company is run by people not by management. Your mott is - look after the employees and employees will look after customers do not apply in marriott. I have not seen a single employee who is happy working with you.
    So try and practice what your motto is.

Steer clear of the courtyard marriott

Former Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits were quite good for medical dental and vision and for room discounts

Cons

Management manipulated, lied and overworked certain employees and didn't have correct staffing numbers , I always called in last minute or told about schedule day before I'd have to come in so I was never able to use my pto hours when I wanted and was never making full time hours even though I was full time and management would use Employee pto (vacation hours) to make up for hours they weren't giving us , also had employees work when they were Injured , employee appreciation week was not well recognized . I hated going to work and always feeling like I couldn't ever express myself or be comfortable in what was and probably still is a hostile work environment , I was treated by my doctor for stress and health related issues due to this job.management had favorites that they could manipulate so they gave them the promotions over employees that were more qualified for the positions which were also never listed on the job site until after they already picked someone for the open positions and also there is a manager that was emotionally involved in a relationship with an front desk employee, I would never work for this company again after starting with a new company and would not suggest anyone to do so as I am much happier after leaving there

Stop taking advantage of the employees that work hard and stop giving promotions to those less qualified just becuase you can manipulate them and learn to be better people in general

The job I have ever head!!

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Client Support in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clean offices. That is literally it.

Cons

I was bullied serverly during my time here! The worst people I have ever worked with! When I first started working here I was disaplined for praying on Fridays and fasting! They did not like me having a class of water! The HR are absolulty useless and only care about what management say!

This has to be the worst ever company I have ever worked for!!!! I was bullied and treated less than a human being. I have a learning disability and refused to helped me. My supervisor often said to me if you do not like it here leave.

No support what so ever. You are treated as if you are in a school. They will often threaten you that if you turn up a second late you will loose your job!!! I was also racially abused by staff, which I complained to HR about. The only thing HR had to say is... 'well if you dont like it here then leave'

In terms of the work... there is no freedom add in your own ideas. You are encouraged to work like a robot and never leave your desk. I have been disacaplined for going to the toilet and getting a cup of tea.

My supervisor was a hypocrit who constantly use to make personal phone calls and then complain when you make a personal phone call

Change your accounts payable staff at Luton!!

Food and beverage supervisor

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and you learn to appreciate a hard earned dollar.

Cons

Hours are horrible. All your employees are foreign/uneducated. You will work nights and weekends. No personal life to be had outside of work. Unless you are extremely passionate about this industry I do not suggest working here. This job has a huge burnout factor and will bring a lot of unhappiness.

Good on paper bad in reality

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture is fine,not bad for beggginers

Cons

Managers are not managers,they are just someone who knows someone and nothing else. Looooong working hrs,weekends,holidays you name it. If you are a parent do not trust them ,you wont see your child for a long time

DoubleCheck your managers

One of the worst places I worked.

Current Employee - Wait Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Wait Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They let us have leftovers, It was located in downtown easy access. Not a lot of pros.I'm trying to think of some.

Cons

Management was awful Unfair treatment. Employees stole from me the first day. Preferential treatment. Too much work for too little employees.

Learn to manage.

Incompetent management

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were always in place. A schedule is always printed a week ahead.

Cons

Managers always left early.
    No rapport between managers and employees.
    Never paid on time.
    Checks issued were never accurate.
    Low pay.

Communicate to employees. They are people too. Not slaves.

Okay Experience would not recommend.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Valencia, CA

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good perks
    -Meet and learn about a lot from people from different origins

Cons

-Schedule flexibility
    -Poor management
    -Lack Stability
    -Integrity issues
    -Small department so expect lots of drama
    -Poor employee recognition
    -Not a lot of room for growth

Please be honest with yourselves, hire well quifitied employees. Properly displine employees and rocogonze hard working employees. Also it is best to avoid favoritism. Instead of having a meeting with employees face to fave it is better if you pull both a side at different times instead of the Jerry Springer style call outs.

Dont Drink the Kool-Aid

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I have for the company is that the position I work in has extremely flexible hours and the pay is decent.

Cons

This company is all about the office politics. If someone from upper management doesn't like you, you aren't going to be advancing your career. Everyone is extremely fake....they smile and make small talk with you, but then you find out they are talking bad about you behind your back. There is an extreme invasion of privacy from your coworkers. They're not all bad though, just about 85% of them. I've made some good friends here.

They base their hiring process on people with ENERGY and ENTHUSIASM and less on actual talent and skill. There are lots of people here who have no idea how to do their jobs, regardless of the amount of training, yet somehow advance in the company due to connections and being very personable in nature. There is no support from upper management at all, as they are all in a league of their own and think down upon their subordinates.

The pay is terrible. I have the option to advance to a sales manager role, which would be a pay decrease, longer working hours, and tied to a phone line. Whats the incentive???! I went to my leadership for help in advancing my career in a different route, but they basically told me if I wanted to move up I would have to start somewhere and it would have to be the Sales Manager position. No thank you. I will be looking elsewhere for employment. Bottom-line, get out while you can and stay out. There are way better companies out there to work for that aren't a border-line cult.

Change everything about what you are doing