Marriott Reviews

3.7
1,347 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 46 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working for Residence Inn.

I worked at Marriott

Pros

I was a front desk agent for Residence Inn by Marriott. I love interacting with the guests, & doing nice things for them upon check-in. My supervisors were also all very nice & welcoming, so it was never a problem to talk to them about anything.

Cons

Cons of working for Residence Inn (or any hotel) are the hours. Either work from 7am-3pm or 3pm-11pm. I preferred 3-11 more, considering I was able to interact with more guests during that shift, but it's practically your entire day. The pay is also not the best, which weighed into me deciding to leave.

Needs Better Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible, company outings, employee discounts

Cons

Working holdidays, lack of authority by management, employees are not held responsible for their own actions

Follow your employee manual.

Nice Work Environment, Pay Doesn't Commensurate with Costs of Living

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, flexible when it comes to family-related issues, benefits are great

Cons

Wish they didn't start cutting back on paid time off. It used to be 20 days your first year then they cut it back to 10 days. Don't be stingy on overtime or at least be specific about using overtime as compensated time (free PTO). Getting promoted is hard and so is trying to get into different departments.

Bring back bonuses, not just for directors, VPs, and up. I think your employees deserve bonuses as hard as they work to make this company look good.

Marriott was great company to work for.

Current Employee - Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the feeling of employees as Family. We had a meeting every day to tell us what was happening, "Events" Our General Manager started at Marriott as a dishwasher! On his way up, he worked in every Department.

Cons

We had a group called the "Ample Beauties ", a couple times a year, 200 of them, they tore the place up ! However, they only were there for 2 night.

I worked for 2 different Marriott's

Busy but fun work environment

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Marriott part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters

Cons

Pay, management sometimes discombobulated, danger of contracting ebola

Keep you opinions to yourselves

Poor management, working here made me so unhappy.

Former Employee - SPA in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - SPA in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Marriott

Pros

The money, when I was busy, was good. But not worth being miserable and not cared about

Cons

Poor management! They just do not care about employees. If management was different, meaning do a sweep and hire all new people, it would probably be a great place to work. You sit around for 9 hours, don't get paid hourly so if you're not busy you're not making $$. Point system is ridiculous! Ask management a question and they give you attitude, or just don't care. The majority of employees in the spa feel this way but they know nothing can be done so they lay there and take it. What do you expect with young people running the spa though. Turnover is high, for a reason. Crappy EDR.

Management needs to realize we are people working our butts off and appreciate us more. Say thank you for all your hard work often and actually mean it. If you're unhappy then leave your job. They need to clean house there and start fresh because the negativity there is palpable. Just CARE about your employees and maybe they would stay!!!!

Great Place to work

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, flexible, professional work environment, room to grow, great training. I enjoyed my time at Marriott and would consider going back in the future. As long as you show desire and work hard you will advance in your career.

Cons

Some supervisors are tough but if you push through you will be fine. There is always an opportunity to move throughout the company.

Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

the benefits are great the hours are great most of the team members are great it was a great experience and to be a part of the Marriott in general is a benefit for the employee and the hotel if you are a great worker

Cons

time management was a bit undecided and it was shaky when it came to the schedule due to change in management also communication needs to be improved with management and some staff.

Not bad - Temporary Career

Former Employee - Group Coordinator in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Group Coordinator in Madison, WI

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get discounts to stay at pretty much any Marriott anywhere (with advance planning) and it's not one of those "boring desk jobs". You get TONS of customer service experience and learn something new daily. Great for college aged kids not looking for a career but a respectable job.

Cons

It's hard to get those discounts sometimes, and can be hard to get off on the weekends naturally. Marriott doesn't give its employees enough "reward" or benefits, so make sure it's a hotel with a good management company. There will ALWAYS be be turnover in hotel business, it's just not a career, so be prepared for change in management in employees IF you're even there long.

Go above and beyond for the guests and looks for those types of employees who will do the same. Be a manager not a friend, set boundaries and don't forget to be there in front sometimes too.

Food and beverage supervisor

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and you learn to appreciate a hard earned dollar.

Cons

Hours are horrible. All your employees are foreign/uneducated. You will work nights and weekends. No personal life to be had outside of work. Unless you are extremely passionate about this industry I do not suggest working here. This job has a huge burnout factor and will bring a lot of unhappiness.