Marriott Reviews

Reset

1. Very poor recognition

Current Employee - Housekeeping Aide in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Housekeeping Aide in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly pay room discounts in the winter has a good 401k plan

Cons

Lack of help cult type of company over work you often doing a two to three person job

Advice to Management

Show some compassion for the workers. I've been at the company for almost 4 years the hr nor the general managers came to me to wish me will on my future makes you feel kind unappreciated in the company

2. Poor corporate culture if you don't drink the juice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marriott (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, free lunch. Some very great people, especially on the food & beverage teams.

Cons

Very low pay, old-school culture with no flexibility. Rewards only those who fit a specific mold. Was criticized on a personal level for things such as my personal style, hair, and personality. No room for growth because no one ever leaves! At least on the corporate side of things. Expressed interest many times in learning more about a specific different field, but was never given the opportunity. Upper management was spiteful and snarky. Poor work/life balance for lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Be more relaxed and open to different people. Not everyone will be cookie cutter. Provide more opportunity for growth and learning. Pay your lower level employees livable salaries.

3. bad company

Pros

benefits,unprofessional, organized,discriminating company,not flexible they dont even train you good.they dont have all supplies you would need on a daily basis,very understaffed so you have to stay longer all hours through the night because another housekeeper did not meet their quota

Cons

uncaring,selfish,they dont care about your personal life.they are not able to accomodate you so you can have flexible hours.

5. Terrible!!!

Former Employee - Guest Experience Representative
    Former Employee - Guest Experience Representative

I worked at Marriott full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits but not enough to encourage me to stay at this company.

Cons

The Human Resources Manager was awful and so rude. She tried to tell me what I should be eating because I was only eating a salad! The managers were very disorganized, nobody knew the workings of the hotel. I asked how to use my timecard and it took 4 people to work out who I needed to ask to set it up. The hours were awful, you would only know what hours you would work the next week TWO DAYS before the week begun!

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves about the hotel workings so you know the answers to associates questions!

Work/Life balance is awful.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok. Travel discounts, Many opportunities to relocate/change jobs.

Cons

Constant cuts in labor cause excessive work for remaining staff. Your choice is to work extremely long hours, take work home, or risk losing you job. Managers and staff struggle to use paid time off hours earned and often lose the time because of their use it or lose it policy.

Advice to Management

Advice to Executives at headquarters: Stop sending jobs out of the USA to outsourced companies to save money but have no clue how to perform the work that our employees performed exceptionally saving all of us time because we didn't have to deal with non functioning systems, waiting on hold, and unqualified people that can only read scripts instead of solve problems. Mr. Marriott you should be embarrassed by the way the company is being managed. What happened to the family values the company was founded on."Take care of our associates" has gone out the door to fatten your wallet and all your big wig friends at the top.

7. Guest Service Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people, discounted rates on hotels & other discounted promotions online

Cons

24/7, favoritism & sexism, over working employees & not enough pay.

Advice to Management

STOP playing favorites, hire people who know what they're doing and try working more shifts than just the morning.

8. Eh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Marriott full-time

Pros

the guests can be fun at times

Cons

management is horrible. pay is horrible. one of the worst places i have ever worked.

Advice to Management

get rid of lazy managers

9. Not a loyal company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good training and awesome technology up to date on all equipment needed to do your job effective and efficient.

Cons

This company is not a loyal company after working with them for several years they eliminated positions and never found me job or tried to place me in one.

Advice to Management

Management is hired by who you know not what you know.

10. Very poor management

Former Employee - Bistro/Bar in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Bistro/Bar in Hayward, CA

I worked at Marriott (More than a year)

Pros

The hotel is clean since it was new. Location is very nice since it's in silicon valley. You get to meet different people.

Cons

I used to work at Courtyard by Marriott San jose North/Silicon Valley. Management is vey unprofessional. Overtime is not welcome. Very cheap. They like to blame their employees for every guest's complaints even if it was because of their poor management. No benefits at all.

Advice to Management

Be professional atleast.

11. Franchised

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be the benefits and flexibility of hours to work.

Cons

The cons really are endless. The company that our property has been franchised to has downsized staff so everyone is overworked. Customer reviews of the hotel, events, restaurant have also dropped significantly (used to be #1 in the region). Attrition is at the highest it's been in 10 years! People who were employees here for many years have quit. The benefits are basically none now. Some employees have been made salary even though they do not qualify for exempt status under California labor laws. In addition to that, they've been forced to work a minimum of 50hrs per week with no OT (exempt). Probably won't be long before someone submits a wage claim. In addition to that, they've cut back on PTO and forced people to turn in PTO for holidays if their department is closed (or work in another department doing a job different from their job description of they don't want to use PTO). It gets even better. Our department has been bled so thin with some positions not being back filled, so I often don't have time to take a lunch and even have to work a 6th day a week 1 or 2 weeks per month to keep up with the work. Management doesn't care and does nothing. I have escalated to my Director, AM and GM. They have no ability to resolve these issues.

Advice to Management

Marriott should pay closer attention to how franchised properties furnish their brand name and abuse their loyal employees. Disgusted and looking to move to another company after many years of service, promotion and excellence awards.

Showing 141 of 2,134 reviews