Marriott

3.7
1,454 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Just another job

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Decent pay, flexible with scheduling, easy job

Cons

Hours not consistent, lot of chiefs not enough Indians,f fast paced environment

Great for associates, forgotten when a manager

Current Employee - Front Office Manager
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Competitive pay
    Endless locations
    Meet a lot of great people

Cons

Lack of training for supervisors/managers
    A lot of nepotism
    Politics play a big role when trying to move up
    Managers expect you to complete work with zero training on it
    Care more about opening hotels rather than checking what condition the older hotels are in
    The higher you move up, the less life you have

Invest some money on a training department to help get supervisors and managers to the next level
    Stop trying to open so many hotels and take a look back at the older hotels. Some hotels get overlooked and go 8 years without a renovation because the top management expect the on property staff to worry about that
    Marriott used to be all about staff of all levels and their families and life. Now its a "suck the life out of them and move on to the next" approach.

Line Cook

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Good hours, Decent pay, Nice co-workers

Cons

Work every weekend. Work every holiday.

Hard Work, Good People

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace environment
    Always something new to learn
    Management looks at their people first for promotions

Cons

Poor work like balance
    Turn over
    Lack of a training program

Pay more to keep your people there

Could've been better...only got worse...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only redeeming quality of any work I've done with Marriott has been the people I work with and the interesting guests I've met. My fellow associates have been some of the coolest people that I've had the pleasure of interacting with and working alongside and some guests have been massively cool! They were the only reason I was able to stand working at either property for as long as I did. I made god friends and learned some things about myself, professionally and personally...but those things are things I really could've learned anywhere else...preferably anywhere else.

Cons

Now, I love people! I love interacting with others, I love communicating with others, but when there is an issue in the workplace and management tells you to stop basically "grow up", that is when you know that the company you work for is NOT for the people or hospitable in any way towards their supposed guests or their associates. In terms of work-life balance, what work-life balance? The hours are 24/7, 365 days, and management doesn't really respect the life part of that balance...especially if you are involved in anything outside of hospitality (i.e. school, part-time job, church, family, etc). If you majored in or absolutely LOVE hospitality, then it won't bother you....but otherwise, stay away. :P

LISTEN TO YOUR ASSOCIATES! When everyone says something is wrong, something is wrong. When there is miscommunication or disrespect coming from the leadership, something is wrong. And if more than enough guests come up to speak about a particular individual causing disruption to their otherwise pleasant experience with staff and stay, something is wrong. It was our CEO, Arne Sorenson, that stated to (and I'm paraphrasing) treat your associates well, and the guests will be taken care of. Leadership doesn't automatically come with the job title...and status doesn't equal wisdom. Please...listen to your associates!!!

Good college job as a front desk staff member. I liked what I did for the most part. Very laid back.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

It's a fun job where you make friends and can be social. Guests can be friendly and it is cool meeting new people.

Cons

Some guests are awful and demanding and have the craziest requests. You have to have thick skin to be able to smile the entire time.

Courtyard Marriott Hotel

Former Employee - Sales and Accounting
    Former Employee - Sales and Accounting

I worked at Marriott as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

staff was professional and friendly, I adapted very quick and learned so much .I worked in the sales and accounting department and I felt important and very much liked by my staff which were so much more experienced then me. I was respected and was given an opportunity to hold my own safety training class ( by my self) which involved the entire staff of the hotel to sit through an hour to 2 hour long test about blood pathogens, emergency conditions etc.

Cons

unfortunately my internship was over and due too layoffs at the time I wasn't able to be hired.

please hire me again

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hmm... I can't speak for all management but I know my managers are pretty good.
    Meet a lot of people
    Bonuses per quarter

Cons

Can be harder to get off, holidays. We run 365 24/7 but somebody has to do it.
    With any customer service jobs you have ignorance and rude customers on occasion

Excelent

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am want grow up.
    Having another position.

Cons

In my position i don't have any motivated to grow...

Incredible Company, Satisfied Employees!

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Marriott takes care of their employees
    - The Marriott standard is upheld to the best of their abilities
    - Friends and family discounts at any Marriott, employee discounts are even better
    - "My company store" allows you to get discounts on anything you can think of with Marriott
    - Excellent training as an operations intern

Cons

- If you are going in to the hospitality industry, primarily management, you will work long hours. Those of us who love the industry already know this and are willing to continue working because we are passionate and driven, but for the associates just there for a paycheck it could be frustrating.