Marriott Reviews

3.7
1,268 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Front desk in Newport Beach, CA

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, fun work environment, but also high employee standards. If you like customer service you will love working for Marriott.

Cons

Very poor management. Terrible, long and sometimes back to back hours.

TRAIN. Train everyone thoroughly. They don't get enough training and that effects the guest experience and also the employees.

Great company and benefits!

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

My direct manager is the reason I love working for this company no matter what it is my manager is always there to help me get better. If you show interest in wanting to move forward with the company and get promoted they are there to give you the tools to do so. Marriott is a company that would like to see there employees move up the chain and if you have a great manager they will help you to succeed.

Cons

You can be forced to cross training at the particular Marriott property I work at and yes it's fine to learn other departments but if that's not what I applied for then that me make the choice to not cross training right away.

Wonderful company, Many perks, and plenty of room for growth

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The perks of working at Marriott are great. Hotel discounts, connections, etc.

Cons

Hotels are 24/7, so you will most likely be working a lot of hours, weekends, and holidays.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My Housekeeping Manager Experience at Courtyard

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, benefits, promotions. Job is very dynamic, and you always meet good people where you learn from and help you throughout your job.

Cons

Like in any hospitality industry, you know when to start working, but due to the nature of business itself, you do not know when to finish

Supervisors and managers should have assistants in order not to extend the long hours of work into one employee.

Great experiences, great people!

Former Employee - At Your Service Agent  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - At Your Service Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance was great! Several discounts with different affiliated companies. Great benefits. Endless amounts of opportunities to move up the ladder. Compensation was always the highest in comparison to the competitors.

Cons

Former and some current people in leadership that bends the rules too often and not following policy guidelines. Too many people using FMLA as an EXCUSE for everything (i.e. used to get days off if they don't want to work) and not what it was intended for. Besides that, everything was great!

More training may be very helpful for many of the employees that consistently make errors. Seniority shouldn't give someone an excuse to get away with something (i.e. constant tardies and/or call-offs).

Great company

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative/Night Auditor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative/Night Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits package, tuition reimbursement, 401k, job stability, meeting people from all over the world, open door policy, empowerment to make decisions, employee discount for employee and immediate family.

Cons

As a 3 year employee I'm finding it's difficult to move up in the company. It's all about who you know and not the hard work being put in. Work/life balance. Constant back to back or double shifts. Week starts on Saturdays but schedule comes out on Thursdays. Pay can be low for the amount of work and stress dealt with on a daily basis.

Take the time to train the employees who want to move and passionate about hospitality. Ask the employee if they can work a turn around shift before just assuming they can/will. Spirit to serve associates isn't consistent at all properties.

Good benefits for working n service industry.

Former Employee - Server  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a waitress I received full benefits, including health insurance, paid time off and retirement. Seemed like there were good opportunities for growth if you were interested in the supervisor/management track.

Cons

Pay was not that great if you wanted to transition into a supervisor or such. A couple of the servers/bartenders tried out being a supervisor but the pay cut was too much so they went back to serving. Also, all hands on deck over the holidays, etc.

Marriott International

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Marriott International is by far the best company I have had the opportunity to work for. With the offering of health insurance, 401K and the chance to move up in the company not many can beat it.

Cons

Hours are sometime a bit inconvenient at times, which really isn't an issue. The only con i can think of is that other hotel companies seem to pay more.

Great Advancement

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Bartender in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and atmosphere is great. Management, benefits and pay was great.

Cons

Corporate companies are hard to work for, constant annoying changes and sometimes the change makes the situation worse. One ex : Restaurant employees now have to wait 2 weeks for a check so all the CC tips can automatically be taxed. Servers and bartenders are in the industry to have their tips that day not 2 weeks later

The guest are important not your meal coming out on time, just for you to close it out to an account. Do more for the employees. Doubletree was a smaller hotel and had bonus, rewards and free trips for each employee but with Marriott you had to win it in a drawing

FIne

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

close to home and good training

Cons

pretty bad communication and benefits. it was union, so difficult to get rid of bad employees

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!