Marriott Reviews

3.7
1,347 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 46 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor management, working here made me so unhappy.

Former Employee - SPA in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - SPA in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Marriott

Pros

The money, when I was busy, was good. But not worth being miserable and not cared about

Cons

Poor management! They just do not care about employees. If management was different, meaning do a sweep and hire all new people, it would probably be a great place to work. You sit around for 9 hours, don't get paid hourly so if you're not busy you're not making $$. Point system is ridiculous! Ask management a question and they give you attitude, or just don't care. The majority of employees in the spa feel this way but they know nothing can be done so they lay there and take it. What do you expect with young people running the spa though. Turnover is high, for a reason. Crappy EDR.

Management needs to realize we are people working our butts off and appreciate us more. Say thank you for all your hard work often and actually mean it. If you're unhappy then leave your job. They need to clean house there and start fresh because the negativity there is palpable. Just CARE about your employees and maybe they would stay!!!!

Food and beverage supervisor

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and you learn to appreciate a hard earned dollar.

Cons

Hours are horrible. All your employees are foreign/uneducated. You will work nights and weekends. No personal life to be had outside of work. Unless you are extremely passionate about this industry I do not suggest working here. This job has a huge burnout factor and will bring a lot of unhappiness.

Great benefits, but..

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, lots of opportunity.

Cons

Long time to advance.

Great benefits, well Compensated, slightly chaotic.

I have been working at Marriott full-time

Pros

very good pay, great benefits.

Cons

unorganized, chaos. Unpredictable schedules with turn arounds and constant flip flopping between mornings/ nights.

One of the worst places I worked.

Current Employee - Wait Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Wait Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They let us have leftovers, It was located in downtown easy access. Not a lot of pros.I'm trying to think of some.

Cons

Management was awful Unfair treatment. Employees stole from me the first day. Preferential treatment. Too much work for too little employees.

Learn to manage.

Incompetent management

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were always in place. A schedule is always printed a week ahead.

Cons

Managers always left early.
    No rapport between managers and employees.
    Never paid on time.
    Checks issued were never accurate.
    Low pay.

Communicate to employees. They are people too. Not slaves.

Okay Experience would not recommend.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Valencia, CA

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good perks
    -Meet and learn about a lot from people from different origins

Cons

-Schedule flexibility
    -Poor management
    -Lack Stability
    -Integrity issues
    -Small department so expect lots of drama
    -Poor employee recognition
    -Not a lot of room for growth

Please be honest with yourselves, hire well quifitied employees. Properly displine employees and rocogonze hard working employees. Also it is best to avoid favoritism. Instead of having a meeting with employees face to fave it is better if you pull both a side at different times instead of the Jerry Springer style call outs.

Dont Drink the Kool-Aid

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I have for the company is that the position I work in has extremely flexible hours and the pay is decent.

Cons

This company is all about the office politics. If someone from upper management doesn't like you, you aren't going to be advancing your career. Everyone is extremely fake....they smile and make small talk with you, but then you find out they are talking bad about you behind your back. There is an extreme invasion of privacy from your coworkers. They're not all bad though, just about 85% of them. I've made some good friends here.

They base their hiring process on people with ENERGY and ENTHUSIASM and less on actual talent and skill. There are lots of people here who have no idea how to do their jobs, regardless of the amount of training, yet somehow advance in the company due to connections and being very personable in nature. There is no support from upper management at all, as they are all in a league of their own and think down upon their subordinates.

The pay is terrible. I have the option to advance to a sales manager role, which would be a pay decrease, longer working hours, and tied to a phone line. Whats the incentive???! I went to my leadership for help in advancing my career in a different route, but they basically told me if I wanted to move up I would have to start somewhere and it would have to be the Sales Manager position. No thank you. I will be looking elsewhere for employment. Bottom-line, get out while you can and stay out. There are way better companies out there to work for that aren't a border-line cult.

Change everything about what you are doing

Overworked, underpaid, and mostly unappreciated

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location at their downtown Lancaster location and lots of great diverse people.

Cons

Department heads do not respect anyone under them on even a basic level.

Commitment to quality

I have been working at Marriott full-time

Pros

This company is excellent to interact with guest and your fellow employees. You get the chance to build incredible relationships and learn a lot about yourself as you grow in this industry. The founders guidance to "take care of the associate and they will take care of the guest" is paramount in getting people wanting to work for Marriott.

Cons

A lot of who you know advance in the company; knowing this going in is great for those that are really into networking. This is an excellent career choice, but you trade your chance to develop personal relationships with family, friends, and community to make it ahead.

Reinvest in your people across the board; in regards to the founders guidance of taking care of the associate please return to that, share that guiding light with the property owners. What does taking care of the associate look like to your current associates, what motivates the people that are working today to do more? Find this out from your associates and provide the support for them to do so, many of us chose the service industry for a lot more than the pay check.