Marriott Vacation Club

Marriott Vacation Club Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Marriott Vacation Club President Steve Weisz

Steve Weisz

Pros
  • Great benefits and discounts, flexible work schedule, great upbeat environment(in 10 reviews)

• Very good benefits package, lots of changes coming with the integration of independence(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The front desk system is still backdated from 1987(in 2 reviews)

• comp plan has changed numerous times but not that great of a variance, very high turnover but I'm sure that's normal for a call center(in 2 reviews)

A pretty good place to get experience.

Vacation Planning Counselor (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMarriott will work with you on a school schedule, they will give you the tools to become a manager at their company or another in the future, and they pay pretty decent wages.

ConsAt times your bonus can be effected by things completely out of your control, certain departments have minimum hour restrictions making it harder to move up in the company when you go to school full time, not many positions available for non-customer-service jobs (ie. reporting specialist, IT, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to give. Management is doing the best they can and doesn't need to improve much of anything.

Great team to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newport Coast, CA

ProsWorked with great team members
    Vacation-club-like atmosphere
    Focus on top notch service

ConsOperations team hours can be inconvenient
    Pay can be low for those just starting out

Not a bad place to work

Sales Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and perks including travel benefits

ConsStrict corporate atmosphere and sales goals

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely horrible to work in IT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you want to sit around and do nothing then maybe this is the place for you.

ConsWhere can I begin? Bureaucracy with technology adoption. They tell software developers that the legal department will not allow them to use Notepad++, Apache Tomcat for local development or any other item of software not on their approved list. Legal won't allow migration from Cruise Control to Jenkins. The project planning is horrendous. They will overwork you for several months on a project that is dumped on you with a ridiculous schedule. Once the project is done you will sit around and do nothing for months to years. During this time they will lie to you and tell you that there are tons of projects. It is also worth noting that they are trying to outsource or layoff the entire IT department. If you get a contract opportunity or job at MVWC then your job security will hang in the balance indefinitely. Don't ask the senior leadership about your job security because they will only get annoyed that you inconvenienced them with your question. If you write Java code, then hold your nose because the birds nest that you will try to maintain will be atrocious. If you try to promote your code fix be prepared for all kinds of obstacles that make no sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to constructive criticism from your employees. Management refuses to accept any blame or responsibilities. Go get training in technology because you obviously have none. Stop promoting incompetent people. Stop allowing loud mouth "software architects" who can't write documentation to run everyone out of your company.

Such a friendly and accepting enviroment. Everyone is wonderful here!

Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsPeople who are timeshare owners do know what to expect and it's easy to please since they are educated in the timeshare programs unlike the day to day transient. Ability to transfer comes in a short time and benefits start in a shorter time! Since there are timeshare maintence fees, work hours do not come short and always available since payroll doesn't depend on occupancy.

ConsDays off are based on other's schedules and requests off. Some guests are used to the way a full service hotel works and it's hard for guests to understand why certain things are not done. Being a vacation club, guests believe the vacation club still operates the same as a main Marriott brand. The front desk system is still backdated from 1987. There is no GUI system like Hilton or Disney so everything is command line. Very annoying. The reservation system is aggravating as it's a command line system with information feels that it's encoded on the screen

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to listen to the main work force. There always seems to have concerns that upper management makes decisions without consideration of the staff. (F&B - Doesn't see upper management understanding why 1 person has to take window orders and man 25 tables, make the drinks. They might have 2 other co-workers. People calling out or work staff that is short, more people run more double shifts than finding someone else to come in.

Overall a good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsCare about their employees; collaborative enviorment; good benefits; decent pay; industry leader; good work/life balance

ConsToo much red tape; too many bosses

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline HR processes and eliminate the need for so many approvals

My experience at Marriott Vacation Club was average.

Vacation Planning Counselor (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThere is a potential to make a decent salary.
    You are recognized for your achievements.
    Can move up quickly.

ConsIt is mainly telemarketing with a lot of unqualified leads
    The drastically under deliver their promise as to what to expect

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some legitimate research on the true value on the packages that are being offered. I would've looked like like an idiot to potential buyers if I didn't do research on my own. I found better deals on website that require much less in order to take advantage of the "savings".

One of the most rewarding positions at a company that is people oriented.

Administrative Manager (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsManagement truly cares about the associates. The rewards for working here far out weight other vacation clubs in this town. The company is really focused on retaining good employees and keeping up employee morale.

ConsAs a timeshare/vacation club company you are a prisoner to the economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor positions that help contribute to vacation sales, managers in administrative positions should be given some type of bonus incentive.

Food & Beverage Cashier Marriott Vacay Club

Food & Beverage Cashier (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsHealth Care plan, Great job to work your way up in

ConsUnorganized management, Rude customers and staff

Loved Working Here

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFun work environment, Customer centered attitude, Awesome Training, Room to move up! The call center always had fantastic energy, and you could count on Management to pull through some of your harder to pull customers. They did everything in their power to Accommodate Rewards members in the event that their first pick was not available.

ConsSome of the preview packages were not easy to sell the customer on.
    At times, a lot of pressure to hit goals for Super teams with little leverage for reps

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back customer incentives like paid parking or gift cards for on site food and beverage!

Worked for Marriott Vacation Club? Contribute to the Community!