Marriott Vacation Club

Updated September 3, 2014
3.7

Marriott Vacation Club President Steve Weisz
Steve Weisz

Pros
  • Great benefits and discounts, flexible work schedule, great upbeat environment (in 10 reviews)

• Very good benefits package, lots of changes coming with the integration of independence (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The front desk system is still backdated from 1987 (in 2 reviews)

• comp plan has changed numerous times but not that great of a variance, very high turnover but I'm sure that's normal for a call center (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Depends on which site you're working from

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunity to make a lot of money in Sales

Cons

Not all Project Directors are created equally. Your experience will depend on the site you are working from.

Not all PD's are created equally

Not good for a primary source of income.

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Atmosphere is laid back the people you work with in general are nice people and the training is great.

Cons

Base pay is outright insulting but when you have sales experience and you are told the leads are warm and that others in the center have no problem getting 20 sales a sales period and you are told that is at least $1500 in commission every 2 weeks the base doesn't seem so bad... BUT what you are not told is that 98% of the people in outbound sales are lucky to get 12 a MONTH with majority struggling to get 1 a week, that is only an extra $70 in your paycheck. Hope you don't have to pay rent or childcare because if you do with this job being your primary source of income you are bound to come up short for 1 of those. Perfect for someone living with parents, going to school, or drug dealing on the side and using this job just for a cover up. But if you are really just trying to make a living Outbound Sales at Marriott Vacation Club is NOT for you!

When you see a resume come in that you know a person is over qualified for position or you know has high expectations DO NOT get their hopes up for this position knowing they will not make the money they think they can make with your company. It cost more to hire employees constantly than to just pay those you already have a decent hourly so they can at least keep a roof over their heads while doing such a not so promising job!

Great Company but managed by Mafia Style Management in Cork's Site

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Company, Great Associate handbook, Good pay rates, Good Benefits and good opportunities to move internationally within the Company.

Cons

When I started working there it was great, especially with the presence of the Marriott Culture and Fair policies till the Company moved from London to Cork in 2003 and this was the downfall of this great company, the atmosphere became so hostile and coalitions started forming, you are either with the Management or the staff, and became worse when the HR department took the side of the management back in 2006 to 2008 using scare tactics against any associates who voices their opinion or complain about being bullied, I was personally bullied and gave many evidence to HR at the time which I still have till today.

Surely the HQ Senior Management were aware of it especially when Associates started to leave the company after being with it for 8-10 years, some of them even moved from London with them.

The Owner Services Senior Management were the worst and they were even discriminating against specific groups/ethnics while practicing favoritism with other groups, it is no coincidence that all the Middle Eastern Supervisors were made redundant back in 2008 while only 1 European only had the same fate and in this department you had to have a typical slave mentality to be promoted, in other words if you are a yes person.

To The Owner Services Senior Management, be more professional and fair, stop practicing favoritism and using punitive action against Associates who provides you with constructive feedback, And when Associates decides to leave due to your unfair treatment and they send a final email to you and to the Senior Management in the US HQ don't block it and let Steve know what's happening, he has always been a professional, I do wonder if anyone reads this in the first place to be honest.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marriott vacation club only cars about money

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club part-time

Pros

a nice associates lounge but you can't eat there

Cons

To much drama. They don't really train you on selling. There 2 week training is a joke. You spend your day calling former Marriott guests trying to sell vacation packages.

Extremely horrible to work in IT

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time

Pros

If you want to sit around and do nothing then maybe this is the place for you.

Cons

Where can I begin? Bureaucracy with technology adoption. They tell software developers that the legal department will not allow them to use Notepad++, Apache Tomcat for local development or any other item of software not on their approved list. Legal won't allow migration from Cruise Control to Jenkins. The project planning is horrendous. They will overwork you for several months on a project that is dumped on you with a ridiculous schedule. Once the project is done you will sit around and do nothing for months to years. During this time they will lie to you and tell you that there are tons of projects. It is also worth noting that they are trying to outsource or layoff the entire IT department. If you get a contract opportunity or job at MVWC then your job security will hang in the balance indefinitely. Don't ask the senior leadership about your job security because they will only get annoyed that you inconvenienced them with your question. If you write Java code, then hold your nose because the birds nest that you will try to maintain will be atrocious. If you try to promote your code fix be prepared for all kinds of obstacles that make no sense.

Listen to constructive criticism from your employees. Management refuses to accept any blame or responsibilities. Go get training in technology because you obviously have none. Stop promoting incompetent people. Stop allowing loud mouth "software architects" who can't write documentation to run everyone out of your company.

good until you find something better

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Officer  in  Newport Coast, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Newport Coast, CA

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

overtime was always available. the benefits were great.

Cons

was there four years with tons of extra duties while making the same pay (flat pay scale) as the other's in the same position who did no extra duties. the employees complain way too much, the senior leadership is lazy and do as I say not do as I do. Worked there over four years and through the split to hotels and timeshares. The "owners" are 7/10 times rude, and expect the world. Leadership plays favorites and will write you up for the smallest infractions. the "director level" is simply insane and are compulsive liars. do not attempt to take any college courses while employed there, was told several times to reduce hours of students. for a company that promotes growth, they prevent transfers when new properties call for reference checks. none of the employees follow the company standards.

Terrible company since the spin off from Marriott

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club for more than 10 years

Pros

Hotel Discounts are great and the benefits are good.

Cons

Senior management is a joke. They talk about how important the employees are but their actions tell a different story.

It was the worst place that I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club

Pros

The benefits are generous, weekly pay, discounts on hotels.

Cons

Management was clueless and offered absolutely no support. A very clickish organization which was suprising to me as I thought Marriott was a reputable company and I looked forward to working there. No one wants to listen to your thoughts or concerns, but yet they promote an open door policy. Haha, what a joke. Trust me if you use the open door policy they will terminate you, as this policy makes them feel threatened.

Talk to your employees once in a while and make your presence known engage your employees in positive conversation. Stop with the favoritism. Management was clueless from the General Manager down to the managers/assistant managers. The most unorganized company that I have ever worked for. What a disapointment, as I was looking for a career.

Not for growth for professionals

Current Employee - Hospitality  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Hospitality in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club

Pros

easy to get a job

Cons

bad place if you have a bad back and can't stnad all day

Database Marketing

Former Employee - Database Marketing  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Database Marketing in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club for more than a year

Pros

1. Pure 8 to 5 job with no overtime.

Cons

1. IT systems have already been set in place. Hence, there is very minimal work and it is extremely boring to spend 8 hours every day. At least, this is what I noticed in my department and after talking to people in other teams.
    2. Most of the employees have been working for 10+ years and thus, there is no "fresh energy" in infuse new ideas and technologies.
    3. Many managers were laid-back. My manager was big in micro-management and I had no fun working for this individual.

Your competitors i.e. Wyndham and Disney Vacation Club, have invested a lot of money in new technologies and new talent. Get new talent on board.

Worked for Marriott Vacation Club? Contribute to the Community!