Marriott Vacation Club

Marriott Vacation Club Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Marriott Vacation Club President Steve Weisz

Steve Weisz

Pros
  • Great benefits and discounts, flexible work schedule, great upbeat environment (in 10 reviews)

• Very good benefits package, lots of changes coming with the integration of independence (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The front desk system is still backdated from 1987 (in 2 reviews)

• comp plan has changed numerous times but not that great of a variance, very high turnover but I'm sure that's normal for a call center (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Guest Services/Front Desk (Former Employee) Hilton Head Island, SC

ProsDiscounts, growth opportunity, mentoring and training program was nice

ConsNeed to have competitive wages and more mature professional department managers/supervisors

Great Company

Director (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsGreat Company to work for

ConsNo negative comments. Great company to work for

Licensed Sales Executive

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat company, terrific benefits, excellent employee appreciation.

Consunsteady income and frequent changes in pay structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales is stressful and having the security of a base + lower commission much like when you start at 750/wk plus 3% will produce more sales than desperation sales with higher commissions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on which site you're working from

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to make a lot of money in Sales

ConsNot all Project Directors are created equally. Your experience will depend on the site you are working from.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all PD's are created equally

Not good for a primary source of income.

Outbound Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsAtmosphere is laid back the people you work with in general are nice people and the training is great.

ConsBase pay is outright insulting but when you have sales experience and you are told the leads are warm and that others in the center have no problem getting 20 sales a sales period and you are told that is at least $1500 in commission every 2 weeks the base doesn't seem so bad... BUT what you are not told is that 98% of the people in outbound sales are lucky to get 12 a MONTH with majority struggling to get 1 a week, that is only an extra $70 in your paycheck. Hope you don't have to pay rent or childcare because if you do with this job being your primary source of income you are bound to come up short for 1 of those. Perfect for someone living with parents, going to school, or drug dealing on the side and using this job just for a cover up. But if you are really just trying to make a living Outbound Sales at Marriott Vacation Club is NOT for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you see a resume come in that you know a person is over qualified for position or you know has high expectations DO NOT get their hopes up for this position knowing they will not make the money they think they can make with your company. It cost more to hire employees constantly than to just pay those you already have a decent hourly so they can at least keep a roof over their heads while doing such a not so promising job!

A great company that cares about its employees

Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsI've been with this company for almost a year now, and I have to say it is one of the best I've ever worked for. The management is dedicated to making employees feel like they belong to the Marriott family and they are, for the most part, very keen on employee concerns and requests. For the most part, the GMs are easily accessible and are always willing to have a conversation with you. It's nice to know there are a lot of routes to go if you have an issue or concern.

ConsThe pay. The pay varies between departments, but the general consensus is that it's lower than similar positions at other companies.

Furthermore, the company tries to add work to departments that have nothing to do with that department. For example, Loss Prevention delivers packages and repairs door and safe locks. Front desk associates have to direct traffic and act as bellman. Engineers sweep the roadways. All of this takes away from the guest experience and just makes the associates more frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore work commands more pay. If you are going to tack on duties to a department not otherwise responsible for said duties, please pay the associates more. Many associates who are frustrated aren't upset because they have to do more work: they're frustrated because they have to do more work for the same amount of pay. If you make a Loss Prevention Officer deliver ice, repair locks, deliver packages, and chauffeur guests around the property, pay him/her more. The same goes for associates in other departments.

Also, make the yearly raises more. At least give the associate a dollar or more per year instead of the cents that are thrown at them; it doesn't make them want to work any harder.

Great Company but managed by Mafia Style Management in Cork's Site

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

ProsGreat Company, Great Associate handbook, Good pay rates, Good Benefits and good opportunities to move internationally within the Company.

ConsWhen I started working there it was great, especially with the presence of the Marriott Culture and Fair policies till the Company moved from London to Cork in 2003 and this was the downfall of this great company, the atmosphere became so hostile and coalitions started forming, you are either with the Management or the staff, and became worse when the HR department took the side of the management back in 2006 to 2008 using scare tactics against any associates who voices their opinion or complain about being bullied, I was personally bullied and gave many evidence to HR at the time which I still have till today.

Surely the HQ Senior Management were aware of it especially when Associates started to leave the company after being with it for 8-10 years, some of them even moved from London with them.

The Owner Services Senior Management were the worst and they were even discriminating against specific groups/ethnics while practicing favoritism with other groups, it is no coincidence that all the Middle Eastern Supervisors were made redundant back in 2008 while only 1 European only had the same fate and in this department you had to have a typical slave mentality to be promoted, in other words if you are a yes person.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo The Owner Services Senior Management, be more professional and fair, stop practicing favoritism and using punitive action against Associates who provides you with constructive feedback, And when Associates decides to leave due to your unfair treatment and they send a final email to you and to the Senior Management in the US HQ don't block it and let Steve know what's happening, he has always been a professional, I do wonder if anyone reads this in the first place to be honest.

Marketing Executive

Marketing Executive (Former Employee)

ProsDecent associate perks and awesome locations to work. Definitely get to make your own schedule to a degree and in most locations you do not have a manager in your office. You are managed remotely.

Consnot properly managed
    not properly compensated
    too much pressure from managers who do not invest in learning different markets

Advice to Senior Managementone blank sales method doesn't work for all locations

Flexible and accommodating

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South Salt Lake, UT

ProsThe call center environment here is so different and relaxing compared to others, they are so accommodating with calling off that many come back to after adventuring elsewhere. Also the medical benefits are good.

ConsThe pay isn't terrible but could be better, so many love working here that it is hard for finding a career here as few areas of advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementVision and Mission statements are shared clearly with employees, the more of the goals and aspirations of the company known may help field excitement with employees

Very positive company with room to grow.

Housekeeper (Current Employee) Palm Desert, CA

ProsThe pay is reasonable and their intern program seems like great opportunity for growth.

ConsThe only con I had was being in palm desert. Company culture had nothing wrong with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

Worked for Marriott Vacation Club? Contribute to the Community!