Marriott Vacation Club

Add Review

Marriott Vacation Club Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
169 reviews filtered by

Bureaucracy and favoritism, but real opportunity.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Kapolei, HI
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Kapolei, HI

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will work with some of the greatest sales people in the industry. You will find that most, if not all, of the sales staff has compassion and experience with how to deal with the struggles that everyone faces at one time or another. Mentoring and understanding will only go so far, because each and every salesperson will have to find his or her own path to success. Some things are difficult to duplicate, but if you learn the basics and build a foundation to build upon, than you will give yourself the opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Management, C-Level, and Policy. With a mediocre product, in my opinion, you will struggle to help your clients see the benefit unless you truly believe in what you're offering. I suggest you sincerely look at what your offering and find a way to believe in it, because if you can't than you will not succeed.

Advice to Management

I worked for some really good people and managers. Talented and motivated to help the sales people succeed, however they were often handcuffed by the policies put in place each and every month. Policies changed so often that it made it hard to get the ball rolling. Proven sales people were able to see more opportunities, which are provided for you, and therefore were able to find more success. You have to have people to talk to in order to get them to buy something. I will say this: Things change almost weekly, so what I experienced may be totally different now. The only thing you can count on is that things change. Be ready for it.

2. It was a great experience!

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They understood that family comes first and leadership was always understanding

Cons

Some times things seem to be mirco managed

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Former Employee - At Your Service Agent in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - At Your Service Agent in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The crew was incredible and always willing to help. I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did if it weren't for them. They made coming to work worth it. Some managers knew what it meant to be a part of a team and have the crew's back. A lot of the guests were awesome and just wanted to start their vacations. I got tipped with cash and, one time, a whole lot of alcohol. Now that's a perk! The schedule was fairly flexible, management wanted to this job to be your priority but they also understood if people had second jobs or went to school. Great benefits. If the property did well we would have parties and receive gift cards. Great discount on hotel rooms. Occasionally the concierges would get invites to try local restaurants in the area to try and drum up more business, so that meant we got to go there and eat and drink for free! It was very rare that a time off request wasn't granted.

Cons

Because it's time shares, we're limited in what we can do to help and some guests didn't understand that. Some guests would come just to try and get things for free (cleanings, room credits). The spring break crowd always had a lot of attitude and little money. Really rude guests during peak season who just wouldn't compromise if they couldn't get exactly what they wanted. The pay didn't match the hard work we had to do. 90% of the time the company wouldn't believe an associate over a guest. Some of the managers would try and avoid having to go help with large crowds or angry guests. One associate could mess things up for everyone. As much as they wanted to insist this wasn't the case, there wasn't enough work for everyone when it was slow, and we couldn't even read or surf the web during these times if certain managers were around. I wanted to move into being a rooms controller but kept getting the runaround by management.

5. Senior management only cares about increasing their paychecks--even if it means taking income away from associates.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Coast, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Coast, CA

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time

Pros

Beautiful setting and view
    401k
    Health Benefits
    Marriott Discounts

Cons

Income has decreased each year
    Comp plan changes frequently--each time eliminating income opportunities
    Management continues to make more money while the people in the trenches make less and less
    No increase in pay for cost of living

Advice to Management

Consider showing some appreciation and respect to the people who are making you (management) successful, instead of punishing them for a job well done by increasing their work load and not their income. Consider showing this appreciation by compensating them adequately for what they do, as well as taking into consideration increases in cost of living so that they may continue to feed their families. Consider that by rewarding associates with well earned said increases will create job loyalty, job satisfaction, and less attrition. The Marriott family started with the motto: Happy employees = Happy guests. I think that philosophy has been long forgotten. Keeping upper management fat and happy has clearly become the ultimate goal.

6. Vacations Advisor

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club

Pros

The bonus is great if you can get the guest to book their vacations.

Cons

balance with everyday life and lack of accomodations available to guest.

Company growing very quickly with many leadership changes on corporate level.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company philosophy but newly separated from Marriott International.

Cons

Outsourcing of on site support.

I used to like Marriott Vacation Club!

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have good benefits. Pay overtime if you need some extra money. At times I sucked up to bad schedules and awful guests because of the benefits. But overall it is not worth it.

Cons

Your chances of moving up are basically based on your relationship with your managers and not how qualified you are. Plenty of well qualified people left to go work somewhere else. They also seem to hire a lot of outsiders instead of giving a chance to people that already know the company and the system, they'd rather train somebody new for about 2 months (yes, it takes about 2 or 3 months to be fully trained in some management positions). They try to make it look fair by giving you a few interviews if you already work for the company, but they are just wasting time as they already know they want to hire their new best friend that never worked hospitality before to be the new manager. I've seen it happen too many times now.

Advice to Management

Most managers I worked for were all about team work, but they didn't do their part as the team leader when it came to it. Worse type of management "do what I say, but don't do what I do". Very few were actually being an example to their employees. Most managers I worked for were late for work every day. Which it doesn't matter bc there's nobody there to watch them and they are salaried as well. So who cares if you show up almost 1 hour late everyday? Then they leave early as well. But if you (hourly) are late more than 7 minutes, you get a warning. I've seen the general manager leave work early (4 hours early) to go shopping at Target as well, but they wouldn't let you leave 30 min early because your child is sick and you need to pick them up at school. Overall it seems like management can do whatever they feel like and get away with it. There is absolutely nobody there to take a complaint and actually do something about it. Maybe advice to CEO: Have your managers be watched closer. Maybe have more Engagement Surveys per year. Maybe once a month. If a resort has bad scores for more than a few months in a row, maybe send somebody from corporate to work there for a month or two, to find out what they real problem is. One meeting with somebody from corporate that lasts about 2 hours once a year is not going to make things better.

9. Great company

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Low Pay for hard work

10. Reservations

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club

Pros

Job security, good pay, co-workers

Cons

long hours, no flexible schedule

11. The job was a seasonal position. No benefits

Former Employee - Pool Server in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Pool Server in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth and cross training between departments. discounted rooms for vacations and trips.

Cons

Conservative thinking, slow processing. lack of innovations,

Marriott Vacation Club Photos

Marriott
Corpoate Office
Entrance Sign (only signage for the resort unfortunately)

+ Add Photo