Marriott

Marriott Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department(in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members(in 63 reviews)

127 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company for Career Growth

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsGood career growth opportunities
    Very Diverse

ConsIf you want to move up, you have to network. But that's true just about anywhere, right?

Great company

Guest Service Representative/Night Auditor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBenefits package, tuition reimbursement, 401k, job stability, meeting people from all over the world, open door policy, empowerment to make decisions, employee discount for employee and immediate family.

ConsAs a 3 year employee I'm finding it's difficult to move up in the company. It's all about who you know and not the hard work being put in. Work/life balance. Constant back to back or double shifts. Week starts on Saturdays but schedule comes out on Thursdays. Pay can be low for the amount of work and stress dealt with on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to train the employees who want to move and passionate about hospitality. Ask the employee if they can work a turn around shift before just assuming they can/will. Spirit to serve associates isn't consistent at all properties.

I enjoyed working for Marriott for the most part. The company is outstanding for work/personal life balance!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsWork/personal life balance
    Community Outreach
    Benefits (hotel discounts, especially)
    Flexibility

ConsCompensation in relation to your individual contributions
    Management's inability to deal with employee conflict

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be forced to attend mandatory training on an annual basis. Some managers have favorites who they cater to and others are so aloof that they don't know what is going on within their departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marriott is a great place to work.

Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMarriott is a great company to work for. Terrific people to work with in the different departments and also able to learn new skills in other departments with a great opportunity to advance in the company.

Conswhile rewarding work it is also challenging to do your job with so many employees and guest of the hotel that you have to maneuver around in order to complete your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees more to let them know the path of the company and the changes that are going on with the company.

Reality doesn't match reputation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsDiscounts for hotel stays are great and are not only available to "associates" but to partners, parents and limited availability to siblings.

ConsInsurance is expensive, co-pays are high and every package company offers requires you to pay 10% on hospital stays, MRIs, CAT scans, etc. Maybe this is how insurance is nowadays, but I've never encountered this before.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on middle management. When I've worked with SVPs and above, they have been friendly, one made a point of meeting me on my first day in his department. This may not sound unusual, but it was 2009, the economy had just tanked, I took the job in his department because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get anything better. I was working as a temporary, less than 25 hours a week. But, middle management is just the opposite. They are ridiculously demanding, wanting you to work 12 hour days and still work at night. They are ungracious. When you you do everything they require and beyond there is no thank you in person or on your review. I got very tired of one and two percent raises. The "Spirit to Serve" is applied by the associates strictly at the properties to outside customers. It isn't applied at corporate when "serving" other associates in corporate departments. I was always taught at other companies that anyone I was helping, whether they worked for another company or our company should be treated as a customer.

Borderline cult , good systems and processes , mediocre talent

Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe systems and processes, the size of the company

ConsMediocre culinary and service talent

Advice to Senior ManagementHave higher standards

Intern at Corporate Tax Department

At Corporate Tax Department (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsGood work environment. My supervisors were willing to teach and help if you ask. They take good care of their employer, and it is a very positive and supportive environment, with good compensation. In return, I was motivated to work hard.

ConsStrict deadlines due to the nature of the tasks. The IT department is not the easiest to work with, not the most responsive.

Excellent company great experience

Corporate/Regional (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExciting atmosphere, on the cutting edge of almost every practice. Very dynamic and usually pragmatic. Company has resources to stay on the cutting edge of business

ConsVery Competitive. Company seems to value education (advanced degree) over experience. Can tend to be very process oriented. There is a process for everything - even establishing loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the balance between advanced education and operational experience. There is room for both.
    Company can feel like a machine. Difficult message for people who think they are working in a people business.

So far, so good...

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsI've had the pleasure of dealing with some of the nicest, smartest, and most engaged people. The environment that I work in doesn't take itself too seriously and still gets a lot of work done. I enjoy having the opportunity to manage multiple projects simultaneously and interact with different disciplines throughout the company, globally. My manager is hands-on but doesn't micro-manage; my team is fun and helpful; my clients are mostly good to work with (though, I do have a few who are difficult) and let me be a strategic partner to them.

The company itself seems to care for its employees, though some may disagree. I personally have not experienced anything negative in that area. Marriott offers decent benefits, decent salary and bonus structure (for mgmt positions), a decent building (currently under renovations to increase collaborative work spaces) with an amazing cafeteria, a gym, fitness classes, innovative learning opportunities, volunteer opportunities, and social networking. Most opportunities for advancement are internal (some would say that's a con because it is hard to get into Marriott from the outside). Marriott is all about collaboration (sometimes, a little too much) among teams and flexibility. The company has a flexible workplace philosophy, which is mostly adopted and modeled by leadership. And, there are the discounts when you stay at specific Marriott properties (not all properties give them).

ConsThe biggest con for me is the vacation and salary. As a new hire - my vacation is terrible. Your vacation and sick time are combined and you only get 12 days total the first year. Plus, you accrue it so don't think about making plans until after the first year. This used to be different but recently changed to the new system. Also, the salary isn't that great for a company of this size (and span) but it's decent and they do have a decent bonus structure for management positions and above. The commute is long, but that's a personal choice (not the fault of Marriott).

And, depending on what discipline you're in - Marriott loves to restructure. I think my team has been restructured and placed under new management three or four times over the past several years. That doesn't help the team's morale or the appearance of stability.

Strong resume builder, but need to move on to move up

Marketing (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsVery diverse company with many different job functions to expand your skill set.

ConsGood company if you want a long-term stable job without a lot of upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to promote from within faster (e.g. clear out dead wood faster)

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!