Marrone Bio Innovations

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
1.9

Pam Marrone, PhD

Sloppy science and low pay, but great people

Former Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Davis, CA

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a decent choice for the just-graduated. You can gain a lot of experience and see how the industry works. There are some really great people working here-people who try hard to work together and help each other out. A few great scientists that really know their stuff, and are willing to share their knowledge. They do offer good health benefits, including vision and dental.

Cons

The management here is terrible. Blatant favoritism, vastly unequal pay for the same job position and duties, rampant gossiping, and this is just to name a few. Everyone is incredibly unprofessional, and have no trouble airing their dirty laundry all over the place.

The priorities change with lightning speed, so everyone is always behind and rushing to catch up. The pay is also very low for an industry job. It is also very hard to get a raise or promotion-you will be repeatedly promised things, but they will then stall for as long as possible.

Pay people more, and actually listen when everyone complains about the same thing. Stop repeatedly making promises you will never keep.

Unethical micromanaged too many projects bad priorities

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Davis, CA

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of projects could add to your skill set. Davis is a nice place to live and work

Cons

Unstable management. Poor facilities. Dead end projects. Uncertain finances. Falsifying data to regulation authority will catch up to them.

Focus on commercial revenue generating products. Sell or license products to generate cash. Reduce R&D projects to a few.

Good stepping stone, don't expect more

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, most know what they're doing
    Good benefits like health, 401K etc.
    Nice place to live-Davis has a good community and decent school system
    Commute usually pretty easy

Cons

Low pay for industry, raises are very small
    No advancement without brown-nosing
    Poor, disorganized management

Set realistic goals and limit projects. Pay people what they expect from a biotech company. Make advancements based on merit and goal completion, not on how much you like the person-I've never seen such obvious favoritism before, could at least be subtle about it.

It was a diverse group and many interesting projects.

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations

Pros

Scientific diversity in the types of products being evaluated and developed. Sustainability is a key driver. Many great people to work with.

Cons

The wrong people were and still are at the leadership level....

Know what you're good at.... More importantly, know what you're "NOT" good at, that way you will be able to truly empower existing managers to be successful and build value for the company by complementing each others' skill sets.

Worse place I ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None... None.. None.. None.. None dead-end. Stepping stone

Cons

Zero advancement.. Pathetic salaries... Worked in the lab and felt like a Crack lab...above 85 degrees in fermentation lab.. I could build a more functional lab in my garage. I don't understand how what is done in the lab in completely different to what is scaled up into manufacturing and what is filed with EPA.

Value employees... Pay more... Implementation of safe working conditions..

Gateway company for young scientists

Former Employee - N/A in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in Davis, CA

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Gateway into the research world for recent college graduates.
    -Noble intentions/company goals.
    -Good benefits.

Cons

-This place is insanely fast paced. If they gave scientists more time to complete projects they might see better results.
    -They capitalize on recent college graduates, which means low pay.
    -The head HR person is truly frightening, so problems go unresolved because underlings do not want to deal with her.

-Pay people more money.
    -Find an HR person who values everyone in the company, not just upper management.
    -Slow down. Your scientists have a hard time getting a good grasp of a project when you constantly move to new projects.

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time

Pros

You can interact with different functions of the business

Cons

Very fast moving environment overall

Chaos Personified

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time

Pros

Some benefits are ok; usually flexible with hours and/or family needs (may be department-specific)

Cons

I worked for this company since its infancy. I always hoped things would change, but they only got worse as time went on, so I finally left a few years later (I stayed there too long at the expense of my sanity). There are so many "cons" that it's not possible to list them all here. If you are young and relatively inexperienced, this is NOT a good training ground for you. If you are an experienced professional, this is definitely NOT the place for you (you will soon realize this company is headed nowhere, and its poor management and lack of proper laboratory practices will drive you to madness). This company lacks focus, leadership, organization and professionalism; it's the classic case of the blind leading the blind. There is a serious lack of knowledgeable, experienced middle-management, and the upper management has its head in the clouds. Many of the appointed "leaders" are highly inexperienced themselves, and/or lack leadership qualities. The upper "management" is very detached from what goes on in the laboratory, and many lack a backbone and are a bunch of "yes" people. The company sets aggressive, ambitious, unrealistic "goals" with zero project planning to guide the process along. Scientists run around like chickens with their heads cut off due to lack of clear leadership and guidance from "management". The "science" that's conducted at this company is mediocre at best (and this is giving them too much credit). The products that are formulated here are practically "slapped" together because there's no time to conduct sound research and development. The so-called "quality control/assurance" is a joke (it's about the only place I know where QC runs QA). I am a working professional with over 20 yrs experience, and as such, I've been exposed to various types of job settings and company cultures, but I've never experienced anything like this place before. Marrone Bio Innovations (formerly known as Marrone Organic Innovations) is chaos personified and madness is its driving force. If you do choose to work for this place, you will soon regret your decision (unless you play the company politics game and become a "favored" employee). This place has a very high turnover rate, there is not very much room for professional advancement, and it offers low salaries for the non upper management employee. Although most working employees (non-management) are nice and hard-working people, many are highly dissatisfied with their jobs. Marrone Bio Innovations is a true case of the "tail wagging the dog". I truly hope this review helps someone make a more educated decision regarding potential employment with this employer.

Take a few courses is Management 101, get involved with your subordinates and try to learn what they do and get to know who they are. "Good Management" is not about being mean or nice. It's about being a leader, representing your people, and being firm where/when needed. Stop being such "yes" people. It's ok to disagree with corporate/CEO---it's ok to have your OWN opinion. If you find it difficult dealing with conflict and/or making decisions, then you DO NOT belong in management. A leader is born, NOT made!

Friendly working atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I have been working at Marrone Bio Innovations part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice people, working atmosphere friendly, medium size office, located in Davis, close to downtown so really convenient

Cons

feeling less attention from boss and connection with coworkers, hopefully the atmosphere could be more positive and active

more events to improve the connection between coworkers

Davis is a good place to live in

I have been working at Marrone Bio Innovations

Pros

Davis is a good place to live in
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Unprofessional management
    Work is not recognized
    No chance to learn and grow

You tell...