Mars

Mars Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Mars President and CEO Paul S. Michaels

Paul S. Michaels

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good, people leave work before 5:30 p(in 20 reviews)

• Open Office environment - approachability to senior management(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding schedules which can put strains on appropriate work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Store management and especially Senior Management love their power(in 9 reviews)

Great working people and a fantastic Work environment

ProsEveryone is willing to help at Mars whether its a manager or colleague. Communication is what makes this company run

ConsA lot of remote locations and there is a lot of travel involved in this job. Other than that I love it here

Field Sales/account manager

Category Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsSurrounded by really good people- folks I'd line as neighbors and friends but not managers & peers

Great brands
    Excellent training
    Frequent fun hq activities to foster team spirit and employee engagement

Cons1) lack of trust/ managers say one thing and do another.... actions speak louder than words: one can't believe what they're told within mpc based on actual behavior.
    2) sadly- treat senior employes like new hires and manage folks with plus 20 years Eco like they're new college graduate
    3) internally focused company- most decisions are made by managers w zero to limited real life field experience. Almost all decisions made by people not in the role nor experience in the role
    4) senior mgt - does not engage with employees outside of Bentonville or hq... They seem to like their glass house and stay inside of the bubble
    5) promotion: not based on skill or results. Seems to be based on who you know.

Advice to Senior Management1) senior managers should spend time with the sales force and customer base. I was an analyst on a top 8 customer for two years and never interacted w a senior manager once during my time on the account 2) engage the internal and external team in decisions- dictating constantly does not encourage break thru results 3) practice the 5 principles and live them daily ... Have not seen them in action in my area of the company

Bring your pet to work....

Assistant (Current Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsWorking with the Petcare division of Mars you can bring your dog to work each day which is a very nice plus. Company has great benefits with 3 weeks vacation your first year. They are very proactive in engaging associates with special events (South American breakfast for the opening day of World Cup was the most recent). If you are talented and willing to work hard, you will get promoted quickly.

ConsAs stated above, if you are willing to work hard you will get promoted but you have to put in 50-60 hours each week and it doesn't let up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a better work/life balance for associates

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great private family company to work for.

ProsThe privately owned family culture, good benefits, belief and use of the Principles and the continued investment in the people.

ConsUnclear career paths with limitations if you are not mobile. The lean organization means that roles can be too overwhelming for some people and challenge the work life balance of many.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get caught up in the need to be lean and burn out your good associates with roles that are too demanding.

Consumer Loyalty to Key Brands is the only reason this company still exists.

Finance Manager (Former Employee) Mount Olive, NJ

ProsThe 5 Principles are in theory one of the best visions to guide a company even if Mars doesn't adhere to them across all spans and layers of the company.
    There are opportunities to learn about Supply Chain Management as Mars is very good at what they do from a production standpoint, where they fail is almost every other area of internally managing the business.
    If you land in the right spot and build relationships with the right people you can fast track to management regardless of your competence, this is not really a pro as conversely if you land in the wrong spot and are unable to cultivate the right relationships through no fault of your own you will fail regardless of your ability, your work ethic, and any value you add to the company
    Opportunities exist for personal and professional development through developing competencies through training courses, Mars encourages this as they have a very robust performance and review process tied to developing these competencies. The problem is that while I believe this process was well intentioned when it was developed, it's execution is abysmal, the review process is inconsistent from team to team and department to department. It's often merely paid lip service too and in many cases that I saw as an employee it's used to scapegoat an associate rather than develop him/her. The courses and the concept of the review process are still a value add even if they fail in practical application.

ConsThe 5 Principles (Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency, Freedom) are posted very visibly at every Mars site, in every conference room. The problem is that you constantly see people preaching about them while breaking them in the same breath. One prime example is something called a punctuality bonus. At Mars every associate punches in at a time clock regardless of position. If you are a minute late you lose your punctuality bonus for the day, which means you lose 10% of that days salary. The problem is that some members of management never punch a clock, they override it, which is fine except in the same breath they will tell you that they have to do it just like everyone else. This is one example of the hypocrisy that pervades the business.
    Like any other company you have good people and bad, the thing is that in the span of my 25 year career I've never seen so many bad people in management, getting promoted through the ranks while good people stagnate in low paid jobs, or get backstabbed out of the company.
    I personally witnessed a scenario where product went through development and made it's way to the retail shelf of one division with a retail price point before the plant management had determined production cost or assigned a wholesale price. Three people involved - the one who discovered the error, and the two who committed it. Guess which two were promoted and which one left the company.
    Associates are either grossly underpaid, or grossly overpaid. This means that in many cases you can't attract good talent unless you catch them in a time of desperation. Overpaid associates are generally ones who landed in the right place and either manage to master the game of Mars politics through stepping on the necks of their peers or playing the game of not caring about what's best for the company when it conflicts with what's best for them. The Talent Management System encourages this practice leading to situations where if something is good for Mars but isn't on an associates objectives, it's ignored regardless of whether it impacts a departments budget or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe real problem with Mars is that they are a victim of their own success. Brand recognition with the consumer means that they will never have a cashflow problem which means that as long as their supply chain management is effective the rest of the company doesn't require effective leadership to succeed. The best advice I could give to the Mars family would be to send people in to covertly assess how your business is really being run. Don't rely on Gallup scores and dotting the i's on teambuilding objectives in TMS. If you truly believe in the 5 Principles, and in my heart I believe you do, then you need to take measures to protect them because every day they just become words painted on the wall as opposed to the guiding principles that you wish them to be.

Truly a great place to work!

Sales (Current Employee) Hackettstown, NJ

ProsCreative, open office environment
    Good salary and great benefits
    Fast-paced, challenging environment
    Opportunities for growth across the organization
    Individual development is encouraged
    Strong business ethics that permeate all levels of the organization
    Privately held with a family involvement that is visible

ConsDemanding schedules which can put strains on appropriate work-life balance
    Effective and timely communication about issues that affect the business can be slow coming

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and honest with those on your teams! Give clear direction and support whenever and wherever possible!

iTS OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood branding and good company that give you a good standing in your resume to work there. Good principles

ConsNeed to improve about give opportunities to the employees to allow their growth in the company .

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Non-Management People.

A Good place for a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpen office environment a plus. Good benefits and pay. Company focuses on the consumer.

ConsNot much opportunity for mid-management unless you don't care about your direct reports.

Great work environment..

ProsWork life balance and flexibility of schedule is huge
    Co-workers and supervisors respectful and clear about expectations
    Plenty of opportunity for work

ConsDifficult to navigate levels of management and what resources are available.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining for support staff could be better v. throw it at 'em and hope it sticks.

A big, leading CPG company

ABM (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat people who genuinely care about one another.
    Industry leading marketing philosophies and competencies
    Smart and dedicated employees

ConsBig and slow moving
    Career advancement is often ambiguous and kept vague from employees. The qualifications or considerations for advancement change often and are not always communicated

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving on transparency with internal stakeholders

Worked for Mars? Contribute to the Community!