Marsh

usa.marsh.com

Marsh Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Peter Zaffino

Pros
  • Very good for work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, colleagues and collaboration across departments(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • stress levels are very high affecting work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management was changed without warning and layoffs came out of the blue(in 6 reviews)

Lots of Hands in the Cookie Jar, but Comfy

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMy first real job out of school, was working as a desktop publisher for Marsh in Washington, DC. Temped for over a year waiting on a promise of full-tire hiring, and eventually got to define my position, and grew into a Graphic Designer. An excellent boost for my resume. I loved the atmosphere of the huge company (so many names and faces to learn), the luxury break rooms and the fancy lobby.

I also enjoyed having a lot of down time with which to mess around on the internet and still get paid!

ConsPriorities were constantly back and forth as there are so many folks in management that tend to clash. My department completely dissolved a few months after I left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on honing a global mission that includes a more cohesive structure concerning internal support teams.

Good Pay, Poor Management

Policy Review (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe pay and benefits package was great. It was definitely worth the time, energy, and work requested. The building and location were excellent. The work was challenging while not being overly stressful.

ConsManagement could not seem to get there act together between the old hubs and new hubs. Constant discord, changing of policies/practices and quality standards. Upper management was changed without warning and layoffs came out of the blue.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a proven system of QA and foster communication between departments as well as with clients and client teams.

POOR LEADERSHIP IN FINPRO

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits, colleagues and collaboration across departments.

ConsFINPRO leadership is detached and focused on "managing up" and taking care of their friends, rather than those colleagues that actually do the work. Performance reviews and bonuses are determined by a "beauty contest" under the corporate guise of "curve ranking", which does nothing but serves the purpose of leadership that punishes and retaliates against dissenters. I agree with the other commenter who noted that Marsh lies about giving raises. They do not…unless, of course, you are well-connected, OR you complain and they want to use you until they can find someone else to replace you!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice The Greater Good, and especially the Integrity portion of IGNITE!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ProsMany opportunities for advancement in Insurance

Constoo big of a corporate structure

Good to learn the business...but don't stay for the pay.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to work on large accounts

ConsYou are a widget in the great machine

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on client, not internal structure

Not the company it once was

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood vacation time, okay benefits

ConsNo raises, detached management attitude

FINPRO

ProsGreat management, tools and process flow. Ability to learn a great deal. Supportive mangers etc.

ConsIf talent is your biggest assets, why not invest in them? Lack of raises, bonuses and adjustments for promotions shows managements mentality only higher ups get taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your intellectual capital. Show you care for employees, cause right now you don't!

Great place to work

ProsChallenging, best minds in the business, flexible, opportunity for advancement

Consneed to satisfy wall street = lots of internal reporting and management

Sales oriented culture

Client Advisor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Prosteam environment; benefits; expertise in industry

Consconstant changes to corporate structure and upper management; outdated technology; overly burdensome internal processes; no pay raises

Advice to Senior ManagementIntensive focus on sales will hurt retention of current clients

Professional but short sighted.

Client Advisor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat resources and very able work force/talent.

ConsShort sighted, stagnant growth, old school technology and methods.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to start gutting the old ways.

Worked for Marsh? Contribute to the Community!